I installed a new humbucker on the bridge of my Ibanez the other day and I hate it's tone, so I just dropped 80 buck on an SH-8 Duncan Invader, I want to go ahead and replace the neck pickup as well.

I thought the Duncan SH-10 Full shred or SH-12 Screaming Demon would be a good neck pickup since their tones are rated as (treb/mid/bass) 8/4/4 and 9/4/5 respectively. Whereas the SH-8 picks up the heavier tones rated at 4/8/7.

The problem is that most of these charts and everywhere I go says that both of these models are "bridge" pickups. Am I going to be happy with either of these pickups in the neck?
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau
look them up in a neck position version, like i know other pickups come in N and B, so just look it up because two bridge pickups causes some sort of interference
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
im a dimarzio fan so i cant really help (as you want to stick SD)

neck pickup isnt about gain or strength, its a lead pickup, and will be more of a deeper sound due to it position on the neck. full shred and demon are bridge pickups meaning there high gain.

look at something with a medium power range.
*Enter Sig Here*
N and B is for "sets" of pups, the only duncan N adn B thing that i know of is the black out set, and any other sets that come together, ohh and pearly gates.

fullshred and demon have no neck versions.
*Enter Sig Here*
Im a Dimarzio fan too - ive got a Dimarizo Air Norton on the neck of my LP and it f*ckin sings! I love it so much (in fact i now play most of my solos with it ). Works great for blues, jazz, even some metal (alot of John Petrucci's solos are done on the neck pup with the air norton)
haha, ironically, im about to put an air norton and a X2N into one of my guitars, cant wait for it to ship in
*Enter Sig Here*
To be honest i would go with the Dimarzio much better. Not much of a SD lover myself.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

awesome

possible a jazz for the neck?? dnno what hter called something "jazz"
*Enter Sig Here*
The Invader's a horrible pickup, but you'd need something pretty hefty to keep up with it. It's not simply a case of picking a low output pickup for nice cleans, you need something pretty high output otherwise the volume difference would be too great...there's only so much you can do with pickup heights. You've set your stall out for this guitar with the Invader, it's going to be loud and nasty sounding, it's not going to do polite, mellow or clean particularly well. A bridge model isn't the way to go though, they'll be too hot and also too bassy for the neck position, a Dimarzio Breed is probably your best bet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright, good input, yeah I play alot of progressive/shred but I also really want a guitar that will get down low and crunch it up with some rhythm riffs. The RG guitars are pretty versatile body style and I know that the Invader wouldn't fail me as far as crunch goes.

I would be willing to go for a dimarzio pickup, but if somebody has an opinion on a SD pickup for the neck that would be good. Thanks for the input concerning the SH-10 and 12, this is the first time I've customized the pickups on a guitar.

Check ya ltz,
andy
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau
Breed still sounds good to me, it adds a bit of character to a basswood guitar and will clean up and give pretty decent vintage-type tones if you roll the volume off, but it can do shred too seeing as it's a Vai sig model.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Steven Seagull bashing the Invader. Same **** different day eh?

The SD Jazz is a great neck pickup IMO. It's got lots of highs and isn't muddy at all. I've got it paired with a SD Custom (which is very high output) and it matches very well. It's great clean or with tons of gain.
What about the DiMarzio Evolution, reviews say it's hotter than the Breed, that might be what I want to keep up with the crunchy SH-8? It is a humbucker formulated for the neck also, any body heard one?
Quote by GoDrex
Steven Seagull bashing the Invader. Same **** different day eh?

The SD Jazz is a great neck pickup IMO. It's got lots of highs and isn't muddy at all. I've got it paired with a SD Custom (which is very high output) and it matches very well. It's great clean or with tons of gain.

I just think they're horrible - it was the pickup everyone wanted when I was a kid reading guitar mags...."Look at the polepieces on those, they must be amazing". However I grew up and heard them and for me they're too loud, too bassy and too muddy to be useful for anything other than making noise...I don't think crunch when I hear an Invader, just sludge. Having said I'm not a big fan of pickups with too much inherent compression or that have "too much" going on tonally and sometimes you want nasty, just for me not that nasty.

I wouldn't think the Evo is as good a match as the Breed, they're not great for rhythm stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 3, 2008,
Yeah, I was thinking of using the neck model DiMarzio Evo on this guitar to give me a real hot sounding lead with harmonics. The Duncan is bought and paid for, but if it's as nasty as you say it is I might be reselling it, we'll find out, I have a feeling I'm not as picky as you are when it comes to rhythm crunch. You Europeans don't seem to get as heavy and vulgar with your tones like Americans like it! lol Please redirect me to anything of that genera from Europe if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear it!

Petrucci talked about the same thing in a seminar I went to, with low notes being tight and not too muddy, but personally I like a really muddy, chunky rhythm.

Although I would like to learn some blues and jazz, I don't really play any of that, or classic rock, I think the SH-8 and Evo combination will give me the versitality to play some nice shred licks, and then be able to click down into a real gritty rhythm.

I'll keep everybody posted, I'm going to pull this thread back up and attach a youtube video to it once I have everything put together so yall can give it a listen.

Thanks again!
Andy
Last edited by ReefTECK at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by ReefTECK
Yeah, I was thinking of using the neck model DiMarzio Evo on this guitar to give me a real hot sounding lead with harmonics. The Duncan is bought and paid for, but if it's as nasty as you say it is I might be reselling it, we'll find out, I have a feeling I'm not as picky as you are when it comes to rhythm crunch. You Europeans don't seem to get as heavy and vulgar with your tones like Americans like it! lol Please redirect me to anything of that genera from Europe if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear it!

Petrucci talked about the same thing in a seminar I went to, with low notes being tight and not too muddy, but personally I like a really muddy, chunky rhythm.

Although I would like to learn some blues and jazz, I don't really play any of that, or classic rock, I think the SH-8 and Evo combination will give me the versitality to play some nice shred licks, and then be able to click down into a real gritty rhythm.

I'll keep everybody posted, I'm going to pull this thread back up and attach a youtube video to it once I have everything put together so yall can give it a listen.

Thanks again!
Andy

Necrophagist, Children of Bodom, Opeth, Arch Enemy? There's plenty of nasty stuff coming out of Europe, fear not

If you're looking for more shred stuff from the neck then the Evo might be the right choice, it's nothing if not a shredder's pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I've got the new Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader installed in the bridge of my Ibanez and I'm very pleased with the overall tone that I'm getting from it. But....I'm getting ALOT of feedback, is that just because this pickup is THAT strong? or could I have possibly messed up the wiring?

I mean I had to take out my cell phone, my belt, and walk far to the other side of the room away from my computer and in the opposite corner from my amp to get the thing to quiet down...which leads me to believe that it's probably just the pickup sensitivity.

The diagrams provided by Seymour Duncan aren't quite exactly what I have going on with this 5 way switch, 1 tone/1vol. When the Dimarzio pickup shows up I'm going to try adjusting a couple of solders I made on the SH-8 and see what happens.

I'll get a picture of the wiring situation up soon once I get the Dimarzio Evo to install.

ltz,
andy
Playing through a CRATE 2x12GFX Amp, w/MT2 Distortion. I really want a Peavy Valve King or 5150.
No, I'm playing through the clean channel on the amp. That much distortion is just muddy and obnoxious.