Hey all,

I was wondering If it would be possible to take an Open humbucker... and maybe buy a cover for it so it would appear like a closed humbucker... I have opens on my Dean ML and was wondering if I could just buy a cover and out it on?

Thansk alot,

Joe
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Yes you just by a cover and solder/glue it over the original pup

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
what is the difference in sound without the covers? because the humbuckers on my SG don't have the covers on them.
There was a thread about this before.

/search
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
I dont want it for the sound lol, i dont even know if there is a sound difference, i want it cos it looked better than an open coil humbucker
Quote by LiBam

well i heard that without the covers it has a more thrashy aggressive sound to it. i just wasn't sure if that was true or not.
It makes a TINY difference to your tone. The covers actually have a marginal noise-cancelling effect, so open coils will sound slightly harsher than covered. If you're going to cover open pickups with metal covers, you'll need to wax-pot the pickups, to prevent microphonic feedback. The wax-potting is an absolute MUST, so if you can't do that, don't bother.
Quote by -MintSauce-
It makes a TINY difference to your tone. The covers actually have a marginal noise-cancelling effect, so open coils will sound slightly harsher than covered. If you're going to cover open pickups with metal covers, you'll need to wax-pot the pickups, to prevent microphonic feedback. The wax-potting is an absolute MUST, so if you can't do that, don't bother.

Whats Wax-potting? (sorry for the noob question, i'm new to modding)
Quote by LiBam

its when u fill the pup with wax to prevent microphonic feedback.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^It involves dipping the pickup in hot wax, to fill the air pockets with wax, so nothing moves around and causes feedback.

Quote by Nonamesixstring
well i heard that without the covers it has a more thrashy aggressive sound to it. i just wasn't sure if that was true or not.

Not true. Taking off the covers is supposed to give a little more high end back.
^but if u can notice that little bit of high-end, you probably have a dog's hearing......its really not much at all

EDIT: TS- o and when u do this, be sure not to leave the pup in too long, cause u will melt the pup...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
If the cover doesnt move, which you would imagine it wont (or if its made out of a material other than metal) then it wont affect sound other than slightly decreasing current out and output by a fraction.

Its 99.9% cosmetic

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man