Page 1 of 4
Quote by master
I prefer GI Joe.

JK, that's a very good law. I take it you're a veteran?

No but I will be, and I sure as hell want to go to college
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by shreddin_frets
Hmmm. Seems pretty decent.

More taxes for us to pay though >.>

Get over it
Awesome. What does it mean in other aspects though, do we pay more taxes? Do they send more people to war?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Well it says:

The legislation, which the Senate last week passed overwhelmingly, is part of a $162 billion war spending bill.

Doesn't mention anything about an increase in taxes, so perhaps resources will just be pooled from other sources.
Quote by Dreadnought
Well it says:

Doesn't mention anything about an increase in taxes, so perhaps resources will just be pooled from other sources.

Yeah, like what's little left from Medicare and SS. Or maybe they're going to take it from public school budget.

I'm sorry for the remarks, it's early. And money doesn't grow on freakin trees.
Quote by Jackal58
It's your ****ing servicemen going to school, you ****. Get over yourself. Besides, you're simply speculating.
Quote by Dreadnought
Get over it

Oh piss off Dready
Actually, now that I think of it, the Amount of People in America : Budget is probably so little it's obsolete come tax time.

I ain't gonna worry about it though, I still have another 2 years of tax freedom
(1) On September 11, 2001, terrorists attacked the United States, and the brave members of the Armed Forces of the United States were called to the defense of the Nation.

Stopped reading right there.
Quote by Dreadnought
It's your ****ing servicemen going to school, you ****. Get over yourself. Besides, you're simply speculating.

I apologize.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by shreddin_frets
Oh piss off Dready
Actually, now that I think of it, the Amount of People in America : Budget is probably so little it's obsolete come tax time.

I ain't gonna worry about it though, I still have another 2 years of tax freedom

Yeah you're 16... what the hell are you talking?
Quote by Dreadnought

Come on,mate,it was his opinion. To be fair $162 billion doesn't come out of nowhere.

Over here I think the maximum you get is £4,000 (just one years university tuition) then £1,000 each year until you sign up and then £2,000 when you're finally comissoned as an officer. That was last year for engineering officer.

Unfortnately I have an injury that means I'd fail my medical

Best of luck to you,though
Quote by Freddedonna
(1) On September 11, 2001, terrorists attacked the United States, and the brave members of the Armed Forces of the United States were called to the defense of the Nation.

Stopped reading right there.

Are you kidding? That's a ****ing preambulatory clause of any resolution, a statement of recognition that doesn't actually have any action or directive effect.

Jesus, you people... quit bickering so freakin' much.
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah you're 16... what the hell are you talking?

Everything the United States Government has tricked me into believing

Quote by _Tim_
Come on,mate,it was his opinion. To be fair $162 billion doesn't come out of nowhere.

Her opinion.
Quote by _Tim_

Over here I think the maximum you get is £4,000 (just one years university tuition) then £1,000 each year until you sign up and then £2,000 when you join. That was last year for engineering officer.

Unfortnately I have an injury that means I'd fail my medical

Best of luck to you,though

Apparently the benefits for veterans going on to futher education haven't been this high since the WW2 original GI Bill, which was then decreased significantly.

Oh hey by the way, I didn't really understand the numbers you represented in your post, does the UK have a program similar to the GI Bill? For veterans seeking higher level education? Can I get a link to it?
Quote by Dreadnought
Apparently the benefits for veterans going on to futher education haven't been this high since the WW2 original GI Bill, which was then decreased significantly.

aaah I've just woken up so it was "tl;dr". I assumed it was for pre-signing up education.
Is it to benefit veterans or people signing up? or is it both?

Quote by Dreadnought

Oh hey by the way, I didn't really understand the numbers you represented in your post, does the UK have a program similar to the GI Bill? For veterans seeking higher level education? Can I get a link to it?

I'll have a look for ya.

The figures,just assume they were in dollars for simplicities(sp?) sake.
Quote by Dreadnought
Are you kidding? That's a ****ing preambulatory clause of any resolution, a statement of recognition that doesn't actually have any action or directive effect.

Jesus, you people... quit bickering so freakin' much.

I have nothing against soldiers, in fact, one of my friends is in Afghanistan right now kicking some taliban ass.

I just think that invading 2 countries can't be called "defense".
Quote by Freddedonna

I just think that invading 2 countries can't be called "defense".

Please. Don't bring this petty nonsense into what could be a good discussion on the new GI Bill. Whether or not you agree with that statement

1) Doesn't matter
2) Is reflective of the fact that that preambulatory statement itself doesn't matter
3) Should not be brought up in this thread
Quote by _Tim_
aaah I've just woken up so it was "tl;dr". I assumed it was for pre-signing up education.
Is it to benefit veterans or people signing up? or is it both?

I'll have a look for ya.

The figures,just assume they were in dollars for simplicities(sp?) sake.

The GI Bill is just for veterans who have completed a specific amount of active-duty service who are then eligible for a respective amount of tuition and money towards higher-level public education, ie Universities, based on that amount of time served

The new Bill states that any servicemember having served more than 36 months of active duty will recieve 100% paid tuition for their public education, along with up to 1000 a month for books and 1000 a month for housing

EDIT: And thanks bud I'm curious as to what the English have set up
Jon,the closest I could find is this.
http://www.army.mod.uk/careers/training/default.aspx

The army likes to train people with qualifications they can use after leaving. Often there's a chance to be funded for a degree whilst still in service.

EDIT: Thanks for clearing that up,I'll have a look around the army webiste for some more info on the funds over here.
Benefits
Financial rewards and something about qualifications
Pensions and allowances
EDIT2: TA is the territorial army. It's basically our part-time/reserve force.
Last edited by _Tim_ at Jul 3, 2008,
I'm going into the coast guard and I have to say the GI Bill makes it somewhat worth going into the military especially at the pay servicemen make now. Besides, I'll learn TONS about my field while I'm in there too as an Electricians Mate.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I don't think our military has a GI Bill type set-up. Basically they allow you to complete your degrees with a mixture of grants and loans beforehand,or complete a degree whilst in active service.

There's a lot of contraversy at the moment regarding how our army takes care of it's retired soldiers.
Anytime,if you ever want some more info feel free to ask,I have some relatives in the army.
Quote by blackflag49
el oh el... "bush"

Word. Here's a full senate vote playout:

FOR

Akaka (D-HI)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Byrd (D-WV)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dole (R-NC)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Hagel (R-NE)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Inouye (D-HI)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Obama (D-IL)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schumer (D-NY)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Tester (D-MT)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Warner (R-VA)
Webb (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wicker (R-MS)
Wyden (D-OR)

AGAINST

Alexander (R-TN)
Allard (R-CO)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Bennett (R-UT)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
DeMint (R-SC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lugar (R-IN)
McConnell (R-KY)
Sessions (R-AL)
Voinovich (R-OH)

NOT VOTING

Coburn (R-OK)
Kennedy (D-MA)
McCain (R-AZ)
Quote by Dreadnought
The new Bill states that any servicemember having served more than 36 months of active duty will recieve 100% paid tuition for their public education, along with up to 1000 a month for books and 1000 a month for housing

Not that I am American, or understand a lot about prices over there... but $2000 a month plus paid tuition seems like a lot of money. And why would you need to spend $250 a week on books .

As for the bill itself; haven't read enough about it yet so can't say whether I support it or not.
Oh lol

Well, the FOR column is a list of all those senators who voted in favor of the bill. The Against is all those who voted against it lol, and not voting are those who didn't vote

But seriously...

After their name, the (R-Fl) says their party affiliation and the state that they represent. In the case of one of my representatives, Martinez (R-FL), he is a Republican (R) and represent Florida (FL).
Quote by ShaggyDan
Not that I am American, or understand a lot about prices over there... but $2000 a month plus paid tuition seems like a lot of money. And why would you need to spend $250 a week on books .

As for the bill itself; haven't read enough about it yet so can't say whether I support it or not.

University life is VERY expensive here. Extremely. For those without scholarships or enough of their own money, it's very often impossible.

The 1000 "for books" is actually for books and extraneous fees.

To be honest, it's not "a lot". Not even close. But it's still VERY nice, and a great improvement.
Quote by kikaykitko
money doesn't grow on freakin trees.

Tree>Paper>Money.

I beg to differ.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Dreadnought
Oh lol

Well, the FOR column is a list of all those senators who voted in favor of the bill. The Against is all those who voted against it lol, and not voting are those who didn't vote

But seriously...

After their name, the (R-Fl) says their party affiliation and the state that they represent. In the case of one of my representatives, Martinez (R-FL), he is a Republican (R) and represent Florida (FL).

aaaah,thanks

I'm actually surprised so many people voted for it. Over here most "laws" and what not are passed by something stupid like 322 to 319 votes-I think the terrorist detention law ammendment was 342 to 329
Back on track,I hope the UK follows suit and introduces something like this.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Tree>Paper>Money.

I beg to differ.

Money is a paper/fabric/cloth hybrid
Page 1 of 4