Ok, I absolutlely no nothing about theory.

Before I even start to learn the Major Scale what are the basics I ned to no?

Thanks
No, I meant the long post a few posts down in that thread, the guys name is LOGZ, read his post. He kinda starts with Major Scales. Shows you have to make up the Major Scales.

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email
Those posts by logz are good. But I still dont understand, is there anything even more basic than that?
What dont you understand jiro? I can explain in here if you need.
Been away, am back
Am kinda lost with music theory. I need someone to tell me the starting point of it. Am not sure were to start from. When I read stuff about the Major Scales (Ive learnt a few positions) like keys and shifting the key stuff like that I dont really get the grasp of it.
I suggest you learn how to play some advanced chords, and learn how they are built, and what scale fits what chord and why. There is a lot of literature on this. Try asking at your local book or music store, it's what helped me too.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Am kinda lost with music theory. I need someone to tell me the starting point of it. Am not sure were to start from. When I read stuff about the Major Scales (Ive learnt a few positions) like keys and shifting the key stuff like that I dont really get the grasp of it.

Ok, ill go step by step, hopefully you'll understand it better that way...

Notes
When you play a fret on your guitar, it will make a noise. This noise is called a note, and in total, there are 7 notes.

To make it very easy, the notes are given names:

A B C D E F G

This is easy to remember, because its just the first 7 letters of the english alphabet.

Now, the next step is to learn whats between a note.
Each note has an extra note before, and after it.
These extra notes are called sharps (#) or flats (b).
So lets make an example of this.

Lets take the note D:

A B C D E F G

Now, a sharp (#) always comes after a note. So using this, you can add a sharp after the D:

A B C D D# E F G

A flat (b) always comes before a note. So using this, you can add a flat before the D:

A B C Db D D# E F G

You can add a sharp or flat to every single note from A to G.
IE:
A# C# G# etc
Db Ab Bb etc

Enharmonics
Enharmonics is a nice word. It basically means 2 names, for 1 thing.
For example, sofa and settee.

This might get a little confusing but read it a few times and it will make sense.
Lets take 2 notes, which are next to each other:
A B

Now, you know the note A has a sharp, so lets add that in:
A -> A# -> B

And we know B has a flat, so lets add that in.
A -> A# -> Bb -> B

Now look at those notes.
Each Sharp (#) is exactly the same as the next notes flat (b)

This may confuse you a little. Go back to the diagram above:
A -> A# -> Bb -> B

This means, A# and Bb are exactly the same. They sound exactly the same.

Important Note:
For some reason, and I dont know why, there is an important note to remember.
B# = C
Cb = B
E# = F
Fb = E

If you can remember this, you can now make the entire sequence of notes:
A -> A#/Bb -> B/Cb -> C/B# -> C#/Db -> D -> D#/Eb -> E/Fb -> F/E# -> F#/Gb -> G -> G#/Ab -> A

At this moment in time, this is the Only thing you need to learn in theory. This is the building blocks of everything, and its important you understand this inside out before going onto anything else.

If you need help understanding this, reply in this thread.
Been away, am back
The next step should be the Major scale.
You want me to explain it in here?
Been away, am back
I thought #'s and b's were notes. But you say there are only 7 notes (the whole notes)

So are #'s and b's real notes or are they "sharp notes" or "flat notes"

btw, logz, your posts are the greatest thing since sliced bread, except where you refer to people in the 3rd person but taking the time to use the code and color features really helps, you should really sticky these.

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email