what would be a good pedal , to get there distortion? and also I was going to change the pickups in my fake les paul , I want that to be my opeth sounding guitar what kind of pickups would they use , if anyone knows
Last edited by marius47 at Jul 3, 2008,
what amp are you using now?

the pickups wont make much of a difference, they use the stock pickups in their PRS custom 24s. their amps are laneys (not the VC, i want to say the VH head? i cannot remember. do some research for an exact answer), a british voiced amp with lots of mids. lower mids at that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
the use a laney ghl 100 but only for cleans, distortion comes from a boss GT-6 that is or at least was their live rig as far as i know
actually i think akerfeltd uses a laney 2x12, they just link it up to his ex. cabs, at least when i saw them last month in new york they were wheeling a laney 2x12 combo across the stage. but i was too far back to see the model...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
shouldnt be too much of a problem getting an opeth sound out of this thing
Opeth hasnt got a superior sound just superior songs

keep your mids high

on a side note ill be seeing them on saturday
nice martin, if you havent seen them before, you will NOT be disappointed. mikael is a jokester too, so be ready to laugh and then have your face melted.

as for settings check out the ULTIMATE settings thread stickied at the top. just open it, cntl+f and type in opeth and youre set.

as for mids, i got em pretty high on my Mesa for an opeth-esqe sound. like around 2 o'clock. bass is somewhere at 12, and treble is pretty low, but i think im going to mess with it more today and put it higher. its almost non-existant now. i think i'll try putting it at like 10 or 11 o'clock
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Mikael's blue PRS has a set of SD Full Shreds. Also, they use Mesa Rectifiers in the studio along with the Laney stuff.

Also, besides what's been said, don't dime your gain. Opeth have a very organic and crunchy tone. Use just enough gain to give it some decent chunk and back down the treble a little bit to keep the tone thick and dark.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
don't try to be someone else, create your own sound and style
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
there is no pedal that gives you instanstly the tone of your favorite band. To get the sound every link in the chain is important.