Poll: should earth speak one language?
Poll Options
View poll results: should earth speak one language?
yes
61 35%
no
111 65%
Voters: 172.
Page 1 of 2
on one hand it would be extremely easy to communicate with everyone else in the global market and really for everything
but on the other hand you would loose a sense of cultural idenity

pit
what do you think?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
No

Culture, literature, all that stuff is too important, plus it'll never happen
Everyone should speak smurf.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
it would be impossible.. to get every single nation to cooperate with one language and to learn it would take years.. plus all the african tribes and random islands with their own language that we couldn't understand.. we wouldn't be able to teach this universal language.
I think everyone should speak like the Clangers did.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
No. The idea of homogenising humanity frankly disgusts me, even if foreigners do speak funny.
Quote by RileyB
it would be impossible.. to get every single nation to cooperate with one language and to learn it would take years.. plus all the african tribes and random islands with their own language that we couldn't understand.. we wouldn't be able to teach this universal language.

Wow, you're a whole bunch of lack of imagination....
My God, it's full of stars!
diversity is what makes this place worth living. southpark had an episode bout the world looking the same and all the people talking one language, believe me you wouldn't want that
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Isn't there a mythological story saying how humans once spoke the same language, but angels got jealous or something and conspired against us and split us up so we developed our own languages?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
I think it would a good idea. Would things a whole lot easier. Well that's my opinion anyway .
Party
Pants
In
My
Come
Wanna
You?

Quote by M.B.MetalTabber
clothes, you don't want as much detail as emptybullet gave you now, do you?
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Isn't there a mythological story saying how humans once spoke the same language, but angels got jealous or something and conspired against us and split us up so we developed our own languages?

Indeed.
^ The Tower of Babel

And you're kind of wrong on your story haha, read up on it a bit more. It's a biblical story, so it'd most definitely learned about it from some original text
Hell no!
The world is by far a better place for it's diversity and different cultures.
Quote by Slaytanic6606

Isn't it a bible story? Tower of Babel or something?

edit: found it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel
Oh Shit!
Quote by catchy phrase
Isn't it a bible story? Tower of Babel or something?

Yuh
It would be a lot easier, I couldnt give a f**k about cultural diversity, if the entire planet learnt one language I'de be up for it, even if it wasnt English

Since like English, french, spannish etc all stems from latin you wonder why the hell we all speak differnt languages any way.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
It would be a lot easier, I couldnt give a f**k about cultural diversity, if the entire planet learnt one language I'de be up for it, even if it wasnt English

Since like English, french, spannish etc all stems from latin you wonder why the hell we all speak differnt languages any way.

English doesn't stem from Latin. That's why it's so grammtically different from French, Spanish and Italian.
I love hearing different languages so no.

Quote by MightyAl
English doesn't stem from Latin. That's why it's so grammtically different from French, Spanish and Italian.

isnt if of germanic origin?

English is derived from England, one would think. But in fact the language name is found long before the country name. The latter first appears as Englaland around the year 1000, and means “the land of the Engle,” that is, the Angles. The Angles, Saxons, and Jutes were the three Germanic tribes who emigrated from what is now Denmark and northern Germany and settled in England beginning about the fourth century A.D. Early on, the Angles enjoyed a rise to power that must have made them seem more important than the other two tribes, for all three tribes are indiscriminately referred to in early documents as Angles. The speech of the three tribes was conflated in the same way: they all spoke what would have been called *Anglisc, or “Anglish,” as it were. By the earliest recorded Old English, this had changed to Englisc. In Middle English, the first vowel had already changed further to the familiar (ĭ of today, as reflected in the occasional spellings Ingland and Inglish. Thus the record shows that the Germanic residents of what Shakespeare called “this sceptered isle” knew that they were speaking English long before they were aware that they were living in England.

http://www.answers.com/english&r=67
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Last edited by damn-right! at Jul 3, 2008,
I'm too much of a linguist to vote yes. I love foreign languages.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by MightyAl

Many English words are derived from Latin. Yes, English is descended primarily from the Germanic languages, but it takes influence from many languages.
Oh Shit!
Quote by MightyAl

Well, it uses the same alphabet, and quite alot of the words are of latin origin, but there are lots of other influences like Greek, German, whatever it was the vikings spoke, Celtic.

I don't think that the idea would work, people are very protective of their culture/language. Plus speaking different languages impresses people and makes you seem smart.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by catchy phrase
Many English words are derived from Latin. Yes, English is descended primarily from the Germanic languages, but it takes influence from many languages.

Many English words are derived from Latin because that was the language books were published in for hundreds of years. Not because the language had roots in Latin.
Quote by sg255
Well, it uses the same alphabet, and quite alot of the words are of latin origin, but there are lots of other influences like Greek, German, whatever it was the vikings spoke, Celtic.

I don't think that the idea would work, people are very protective of their culture/language. Plus speaking different languages impresses people and makes you seem smart.

That's because Celtic was at best rarely written down. 2000 years ago, EVERYONE in Britain who could read, read Latin. it's hardly surprising then, that the alphabet was used.
I think maybe yes, but I have no idea what it would do to all the cultures. Maybe we should have one language that we can all use for basic communication but nothing really beyond that.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
might be nice, but I'd hate to see anyone try.
Quote by mh400nt
Theres rats running around outside my window, one of them has an apple, he looks very happy about this.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Oh ****

Aaaah well. It gives me an excuse to rape.

Quote by Jaymz_515
Bunnywunnywabbitywoos.
Couldn't happen.

Even if we did "force", because thats what we'd have to do, everyone to learn the same language, eventually they'd develop their own dialects and accents. Soon, we'd be right back where we started
No. It's already a shame that some languages are dying out (gaelic being a good example here...)
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
NO!.. we'd all have to learn CHINESE!! which is the most complex language EVAH!

why chinese? 'cause more people speak it than anything else.. (yay for China's huge population!)

Or worse, it'd be an english/chinese mix!! (ftw?) Two of the world's most complex languages shoved together? I don't think so..

... but if it leads to Firefly becoming reality, I'm all in for it.
01011001011001010111001100101100001000000100100100100000011000010110110100100000011000010010000001101110011001010111001001100100001011100010000001000100011001010110000101101100001000000111011101101001011101000110100000100000011010010111010000100001
Quote by meh!
No. It's already a shame that some languages are dying out (gaelic being a good example here...)

Ciamar a tha sibh?
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
^

If Serenity/Firefly were like real life, count me in
Quote by SteelToedGirl
NO!.. we'd all have to learn CHINESE!! which is the most complex language EVAH!

why chinese? 'cause more people speak it than anything else.. (yay for China's huge population!)

Or worse, it'd be an english/chinese mix!! (ftw?) Two of the world's most complex languages shoved together? I don't think so..

... but if it leads to Firefly becoming reality, I'm all in for it.

Since when is English complex?
Quote by meh17
No

Culture, literature, all that stuff is too important, plus it'll never happen

only as important as people make it.
What have we really gotten out of 2000 years of culture? The answer could be more bad than any good.
Page 1 of 2