I've tightened the screws in my trem cavity on my MIM Strat in order to compensate for the higher tension of 10s instead of stock 9s. I have the bridge level with the body now. However, the string holes no longer line up with the opening of the trem cavity cover, so it's harder to restring.

If I let off the screws to where they were before (to line it up) and put in 5 springs instead of 3, will I end up with a level bridge and lined up with the opening?
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by blue_strat
You could just leave the backplate off.

I could, but I rather not.
Quote by blue_strat
Then just try it out. 2 springs will only be about $5.

Yeah, I know they're not expensive. But if I still rather not not spend $5 and a trip to the store if I'm going to be no farther ahead.
Quote by TheProducer
...If I let off the screws to where they were before (to line it up) and put in 5 springs instead of 3, will I end up with a level bridge and lined up with the opening?
No.

Even at the claw's original location, 5 springs will more than likely pull the bridge against the body and the arm will be VERY stiff when you go to use it.

What you need to do is adjust the screws so that the bridge rests at the same angle it did with the 9's. It'll take a bit of trial and error to get it where you want it.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
No.

Even at the claw's original location, 5 springs will more than likely pull the bridge against the body and the arm will be VERY stiff when you go to use it.

What you need to do is adjust the screws so that the bridge rests at the same angle it did with the 9's. It'll take a bit of trial and error to get it where you want it.

That's assuming that I want the bridge 1/4" off the body though, which I don't really. I don't really need the ability to whammy the pitch upwards. The only reason I can think of is to line it up, like you said. I don't really use the trem either.
In that case, there is nothing you can do to line the block up with the back plate.

You need to either modify your existing plate, make a new one, or remove it altogether as Blue_Strat suggested.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
In that case, there is nothing you can do to line the block up with the back plate.

You need to either modify your existing plate, make a new one, or remove it altogether as Blue_Strat suggested.

Well that's good to know. I think I should be able to angle the strings into there w/o taking it off I try hard enough. Just wanted to check if there was a better way to do it.
You could always just cut out some of the material to make it easier on yourself
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
You could always just cut out some of the material to make it easier on yourself

True, true. I haven't had to restring yet so I've yet to see how annoying it'll be.
Quote by jm1681

yeah that is what i would do if you don't want to leave the back plate off.

PS. As I think you know I have 3 new springs and it works great. When you do go to store next just buy several packs and your set.

and I'm assuming you are adjusting the screws on top of the bridge plate to under the stings by bridge pickup?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah that is what i would do if you don't want to leave the back plate off.

PS. As I think you know I have 3 new springs and it works great. When you do go to store next just buy several packs and your set.

and I'm assuming you are adjusting the screws on top of the bridge plate to under the stings by bridge pickup?

No, the screws in the tremolo cavity that hold in the plate of metal (can't remember the name) that the springs hook to. Tightening increases the tension of the springs and pulls the bridge down. If you have a higher gauge, say 11s, you may need more springs as the screws can only do so much.

EDIT: I have no idea why I answered that as if you were the person looking for help
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 3, 2008,
yeah, i know about the two screws underneath for spring claw. mine are in as far as i can get them.

i'm talking about the actual screws on top that bolt the bridge to the body. you can loosen and tighten those too.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, i know about the two screws underneath for spring claw. mine are in as far as i can get them.

i'm talking about the actual screws on top that bolt the bridge to the body. you can loosen and tighten those too.

Oh, yeah, yeah, sorry, I misunderstood.

I haven't touched those other than to make sure that they were all the same tightness/looseness. I didn't want to tighten them because I thought I would severely limit trem use if wanted to use it for some reason.
understood. i loosen/tighten them a bit from time to time and they do not all have to be the same 'tightness'. As i mentioned yesterday in someone else's thread my bridge is somewhat angled high to low (low E to high E), bridge is about 1cm off the body in back to give me some pull up wammy, and i'm pretty sure the block is centered in back underneath just the way you want it i think.

use those 6 screws my friend to make fine adjustments to bridge. it's not going to fall out or anything. leaving for vacation but if your still having trouble on Monday PM me and I'll take some photos.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
understood. i loosen/tighten them a bit from time to time and they do not all have to be the same 'tightness'. As i mentioned yesterday in someone else's thread my bridge is somewhat angled high to low (low E to high E), bridge is about 1cm off the body in back to give me some pull up wammy, and i'm pretty sure the block is centered in back underneath just the way you want it i think.

use those 6 screws my friend to make fine adjustments to bridge. it's not going to fall out or anything. leaving for vacation but if your still having trouble on Monday PM me and I'll take some photos.

Thanks bro.

Yeah, I know that I could let the bridge lift and everything would line up, I was just wondering if there was a way to have a level bridge and have it line. But do to the angle at which it's built I've figured out that it's not possible.

I know the 6 screws don't need to be the same tightness, I was just being obsessive in my setup and I notice one was up higher than the other 5. I haven't bothered tightening them all since I didn't want to lose the pivot.

I think I'll just have to live with the non-aligned bridge or let the bridge lift back up again.

Enjoy your vacation