Hi guys
So I got my RC2 loop station today and its great. Only problem is which I didnt realise would happen, is say I play something into it and loop it. When I change the settings on my amp to get more distortion for a solo or something, it also changes the sound of the rhythm I just looped in there. Is this normal and happens with all loop machines? Is there no way I can get a different sound when I'm playing over the top? If I got a distortion pedal and flicked that on when I was playing over the top would that give me a different sound or would it effect the sound which is looped into the machine?

Thanks
Its becuse your distorting the signal of the looper, its best to only use pedal distortion so this doesnt happen.
use your effects loop if you have one on your amp, and put it last in your chain.
if not, there is not much you can do other than use pedals to get your lead tone, and again put the looper last in your chain.

hope that helps
also put your rc-2 in the effects loop it'll be better

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Noted
Sorry guys but what's an effects loop?

Where modulation and time effects go (hope i got it right). It's between the pree amp and power amp sections. What amp do you have? Check on the back and see if it has an effects send and return.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
two jacks on the back of your amp (usually), labelled send/return or similar. you connect pedals and such using this, going send - input - output - return.
in a nutshell, your guitar signal goes into your amp input, through the pre-amp (clean or overdrive), through your amp's eq (bass mid treble etc), out the send jack, whatever effects you have in the loop, in the amp by the return jack - reverb - speaker - ROCK

if you dont use your effects loop, it is bypassed, and goes from eq straight to the reverb
Quote by b00m_
Where modulation and time effects go (hope i got it right). It's between the pree amp and power amp sections. What amp do you have? Check on the back and see if it has an effects send and return.

thats what i think . all gain based things go before your amp such as od/distortion/fuzz, volume, tremolo. i think wah and other stuff either go before your amp after the gain pedals, or at the beginning of your loop
Ah ok so I have a lead connecting the loop input to the send, and another lead connecting the loop output to the return. Then my guitar with another lead plugged into the amp? And this way I can change settings such as gain etc on the amp and it won't effect what I recorded on the loop machine?
Your all making it harder than it is. He probably just has the RC-2 before dirt in his chain. Make sure you put it last in the chain, as in, the plug that goes from the amp...plug it into the RC-2.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Your all making it harder than it is. He probably just has the RC-2 before dirt in his chain. Make sure you put it last in the chain, as in, the plug that goes from the amp...plug it into the RC-2.

I don't have a distortion pedal. I'm talking about distortion on the actual amp itself
Ah, they're right then mate, I'm wrong.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
We tried this pedal out in our acoustic duo, where we use only one guitar. Hence, we need a pedal to sample and loop such that we can run a guitar solo etc over it.
Really nice with the long memory, and the undo feature.

However, there's one "feature" which is incredibly annoying, and actually makes this pedal unusable in our view: to RESET the pedal (ie, clear the loop in memory), you click and hold the footswitch for some seconds, right, and it's cleared. Yet, as you click the switch, the loop in memory immediately begins looping, and actually runs for the duration (~1 second) until the pedal captures the "hold event" and triggers the reset function! What this means is, in a live setting, you CAN'T reset the pedal while playing without having some way of muting it. Hence, you can't connect it in a simple serial connection between the guitar and the amp/mixer. If you connect it in a send/receive effect loop, you can mute the return level on the mixer while reseting -- hence you don't have your hands on the guitar...

This HAS to be a unforseen implementation/software glitch, and I'm wondering if anyone here hasn't also ran into this problem. I tried emailing BOSS, but they only refered me to their 1-800 number (and I'm in Norway).
^ Didnt know that, good to know I'm buying one soon. I guess you need a killswitch pedal... sucks.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yes, but with a killswitch, you definitely couldn't have the pedal in serial with the guitar, cause it would mute the guitar also whilst you'd be resetting the pedal... The solution seems to be

1) have RC2 in a dedicated effect loop, ONLY
2) have a killswitch in serial, after the pedal

Anyone know of a decent alternative to BOSS? The JM4 looks interesting http://line6.com/jm4looper/
Actually, we did go out and buy an RC-2 yesterday. Aside from the particular problem I've mentioned, it does serve our purposes quite well -- minimal footprint, easy to use (one pedal), reliable (unlike the Line6 DM4, apparently, and that one's ugly green), long memory with undo function, decent audio quality (at least within the first ~3 layers, beyond which there may be some distortion/compression), and it's affordable.
- Also, the beat-box isn't really in the way, especially since you can break off the knob controlling it with a pair of pliers...
Last edited by joakimk at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by joakimk
Yet, as you click the switch, the loop in memory immediately begins looping, and actually runs for the duration (~1 second) until the pedal captures the "hold event" and triggers the reset function! What this means is, in a live setting, you CAN'T reset the pedal while playing without having some way of muting it.
We found that a working solution is to not stop the pedal, and then reset it. Rather, do both in one go, using the press+hold reset. No unwanted START command is then issued from pressing the pedal, as the system is already in the LOOP mode. In other words, the pedal stops + resets after the ~1 sec delay.