I recently got into the idea of listening to more vinyl, but I'm at a loss for what hardcore records to listen to and what are considered vinyl standards in the hardcore community (besides the obvious: Black Flag, Bad Brains, etc.). What hardcore records do you personally feel are best listened to on vinyl over other formats? I was fumbling with the idea of getting some old Converge LP's, and I think Pulling Teeth, Shipwreck, and Bracewar might be good, but what do you recommend?
Unbroken or Cro Mags
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
I can speak much of, for the lack of a better word, traditional hardcore, but I can tell you that Converge sounds absolutely FANTASTIC on vinyl. Petitioning Forever (Petitioning the Empty Sky + When Forever comes Crashing) is probably the album I listen to the most on my record player.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
That's what I was looking at for Converge. It's only 20 bucks on Deathwish's website, which is good for me for a new double LP.
Early Agnostic Front stuff sounds amazing on vinyl, Victim In Pain era. Actually most early NYHC sounds gnarly so also try and get your hands on Cro-Mags, Judge, Sick Of It All etc
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Quote by PDMChubby
That's what I was looking at for Converge. It's only 20 bucks on Deathwish's website, which is good for me for a new double LP.

Go for it. I paid something like 450 Czech Krowns for it (I was in Prague when I bought it...) which is definitely more than $20 and it was worth every... Krown.
No one dared
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Early Agnostic Front stuff sounds amazing on vinyl, Victim In Pain era. Actually most early NYHC sounds gnarly so also try and get your hands on Cro-Mags, Judge, Sick Of It All etc

Yeah, I've been looking for Victim In Pain and Age of Quarrel on eBay and Amazon and such and have only found a couple. I'll have to try some other place to search.

Does anyone happen to have Gorilla Biscuits' Start Today on vinyl? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy it new...
Is this the part where I mention one of the best deals I ever found on vinyl? An original first pressing of Agnostic Front's Victim In Pain for about £6 that works out at about $12.
All-O-Gistics:

Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Is this the part where I mention one of the best deals I ever found on vinyl? An original first pressing of Agnostic Front's Victim In Pain for about £6 that works out at about $12.

Damn, that's gotta be nice. Where'd you find that at, just a garage sale or a record store or something?
Yeah at a local record shop which closed down a few weeks later, I also picked up a first American pressing of D.R.I.'s Deal With It for the same price. I rule at getting deals on records. I am a vinyl whore though and will pick stuff up on vinyl over CD's.
All-O-Gistics:

all of it...
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Ruiner is pretty incredible on vinyl
Quote by tomohawkjoe
You guys do realize that this
moved in any position isn't a tritone. There is only two tones in that chord, the root and the diminished fifth.

lol
All hardcore imo.
I always get records instead of cds if I can.
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
records >>> cds

not necessarily hardcore punk, but I Hate Myself sounds a thousand times better on vinyl.

Converge rules on vinyl as well. Same with Blacklisted, Shipwreck, This is Hell, etc
Quote by zayG
all of it...

Yes, I realize that everything sounds better on vinyl, I'm just merely asking which bands sound the most better ( ) on vinyl. Thanks for the recommendations, guys.
Listening to vinyl just because its vinyl is lame. It is a flawed medium with poor sound quality. You know why records that were recorded analogue (tape and then pressed to vinyl) sound so **** on cd? because the digital transfer to cd reveals all the noise thats present in the backgorund on old recordings. You might as well be asking what movies are good to watch on betamax...sure if you can buy the old **** on vinyl it will sound great, because you cant hear how ****ing noisy the recordings are. But if its something that was recorded digitally you're wasting your time.

Collecting rare vinyl is a different matter entirely. That **** is rare and i totally understand the obsession. Ive got heaps of punk, hardcore and metal vinyl...raiding old junk stores and picking through boxes of barry manilow for that slayer or exploited disc for hours is a great way to waste a day.

And buying cheap 2nd hand vinyl because you cant afford the cd is completely understandable too. Just the elitism with vinyl over sound quality is ridiculous.
Quote by to_the_grave
Listening to vinyl just because its vinyl is lame. It is a flawed medium with poor sound quality. You know why records that were recorded analogue (tape and then pressed to vinyl) sound so **** on cd? because the digital transfer to cd reveals all the noise thats present in the backgorund on old recordings. You might as well be asking what movies are good to watch on betamax...sure if you can buy the old **** on vinyl it will sound great, because you cant hear how ****ing noisy the recordings are. But if its something that was recorded digitally you're wasting your time.

Collecting rare vinyl is a different matter entirely. That **** is rare and i totally understand the obsession. Ive got heaps of punk, hardcore and metal vinyl...raiding old junk stores and picking through boxes of barry manilow for that slayer or exploited disc for hours is a great way to waste a day.

And buying cheap 2nd hand vinyl because you cant afford the cd is completely understandable too. Just the elitism with vinyl over sound quality is ridiculous.

Preference is all a matter of opinion. Perhaps vinyl fans aren't looking for a totally polished, clean-cut sound

just sayin
I think you can argue about the digitally recorded to vinyl thing all day to be completely honest. Most of the time you're right, it is pointless, but if something has been recorded digitally but not over produced or on a budget and has a bit more of a raw edge to it, it will sound better on vinyl than CD - usually. The majority of hardcore music will sound pretty good on vinyl, metalcore most likely won't.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by to_the_grave

I don't think analogue means what you think it means.
Also, vinyl is the only truly lossless format. There's an inherent loss of sound quality when going from analog to digital and then back again because humans hear in an analog, and not a digital, environment. In an optimal environment vinyl will invariably sound better than a CD or any other digital format.
No one dared
Quote by to_the_grave

I think you're missing the point on why people collect vinyl. To me, vinyl is music in it's most physical form possible; when you buy music it feels great to have it in your hand and really absorb the art and craft of the record. I have digital copies of every vinyl I own so I can listen to the music on my ipod, and vinyl to appreciate the work gone into it and that I have invested my money in that art.

As well as that, I like the crackly and jaded sound quality of vinyl. It adds a real charm to the music.

I don't get people who buy 3 versions of the same record just because the vinyl is in different colours.