Hey everybody, I want to start getting serious with my music and some of my gear is ok compared to others. My Amp is a CRATE GTD 65, and I have an Ibanez guitar also a LTD KH-202 (kirk hammet guitar).

OK, now that that is out of the way. I am looking for a good cable for my amp, I dont record which I may plan to in a few years. I am willing to spend $20-$35 on a cable and it has to be a good length hopefully around 6 to 15 feet max. Ive looked at some monster cables and mogami ones but I look at them and they have good reveiws but then they have really bad reviews. So I would appreciate it if anybody could link me a cable that would best fit me.
the KH isn't an Ibanez...

Unless I understood you wrong.

Dimarzio cables are nice. I just got one. It's solid and it has good tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Eh, I dont want to make my own, I dont know how to and dont want to take the time to learn how to, thanks though.
monsters are the best, hands down.

and if you go to guitar center, they give you a lifetime guarantee

cant be beat.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
He said he's got an Ibanez AND the KH...

Basically any cable in the price range you've mentioned is not bad... You should check the Plugs, Neutrik is the best choice i know...

I really like the Cordial road line. Sounds good and it's flexible, but i think they are only available in europe... Ever had a stiff cable? Pain in the ass i say...
Yeah, if you make your own, that's cool. But, if you have sub par soldering skills like me, you may want to go with a premade cable.

Here's the dimarzios I was talking about: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Instrument-Cable?sku=332100
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
As far as I'm concerned, going down to the store and saying "gimme a ten foot cable" will work. If you really want high-end, though, go with Monster cables. They'll last a long time.
Ok I dont know if I should get the DiMarzio cables or the Monster Cables, I guess I cant make up my mind because the Monster cable has gold connecters lol, Do gold connecters really do anything besides looks?
^^Mm..not so sure I agree with your last statement. My buddies' have broken down several times.
Yes, yes, "lifetime guarantee"...But I don't think I SHOULD have to exchange it. Any other cable, you snip it 1 inch down the line, and resolder a new jack. Simple.

I think that out of the store bought kinds, Planet Waves sounds the best.
Quote by shdowfox17
monsters are the best, hands down.

and if you go to guitar center, they give you a lifetime guarantee

cant be beat.

this man speaks the truth.
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
Planet Waves makes a guitar cable which is of equal quality to Monster cables, I think its about the same price though
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Gold is the best conductor of electricity, so gold plated connectors will give a better, clearer connection.
Quote by Gunpowder

(\__/)
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I don't think so.
Here's stuff about cables and gold connectors:
http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php

I still recommend Planet Waves, if you don't want to go the DIY route.

I read that over and didn't know any of that... hmm, ill have to be more careful plugging/unplugging my cables from now on. Thanks for the info
Quote by Gunpowder

(\__/)
Wow I read about the Gold connectors wearing off so That mad me change my mind. So Now I really dont know what to get? What do you think would be the best?
$40 seems like so much to give for 10 feet of cable. Maybe that's just me...

I was hunting down that guitar nuts article when you posted it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I still say go for the dimarzio.
Slatsmania recommended me the dimarzio too when I was looking for a good cable.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I don't doubt their quality, but i'd rather save $30 and put together my own cables.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^yeah. I would too. But, I have bad soldering skills, and I think TS said he didn't have very good skills either.

Those dimarzios are built really well though. The blonde tweed looks sexy plugged into my purple amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^^Getting good at soldering is just practice. And cables would be a good, easy thing to practice on. But the threadstarter didn't say he didnt have the skills, he is just to lazy to learn.

Right now I have a fender tweed cable and a store-brand cable. I got them after the tornado b/c i needed something immediately, and didn't want to wait around on stuff for long, lol. They are both quite sturdy and do the job quite well since the are short runs.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Dude, making your own is easy as hell and saves you alot of money.

People will say cables affect your tone, and i wont argue with that, i'm sure they do.

But i doubt they affect your tone to where it completely sucks. Just dont get the cheapest you can find, and you'll probably be fine.

The tone depends more on the rest of your equipment.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by kingofdudes161
Gold is the best conductor of electricity, so gold plated connectors will give a better, clearer connection.

the problem is that no one uses SOLID gold connectors. so after plugging and unplugging your cables, your thin layer of gold that you paid so much for dissapears, everytime.
its not worth it.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS.
http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/cable-mojo.pdf

i think that PDF should be stickied.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jul 3, 2008,
I use the "classic" planet waves cables (or rather, I use them for my FX loop and to go between the guitar and my first pedal, I'm planning on replacing all of my long cables with these ones though) and they're great. They look like this:

I don't see the point in spending loads of money on cables, once you get past things like the planet waves ones I mentioned you pay a lot of money for something that isn't that much better.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Would you guys recommend Dimarzio or Planet Waves first?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955