In need of a little advice here, I have a 412 cab loaded with Celsetion G12k-85 (G12k-100, same speaker) and am thinking about taking two of them out and puting them in my new Peavey Triple XXX Combo. Would it be a stuiped idea load my new combo amp with 20+ year old speakers? The cab sounds great and I really like the amp through the cab, but I what that type of tone without lugging that thing around all over the place, hence the reason I got the combo. But I was wondering how much longer can these speakers preform well and still sound good?
Last edited by Johnbryant at Jul 3, 2008,
The awnser is:
Forever.
And if it starts sounding bad, just get them reconed. Magnets generally dont go bad.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
The awnser is:
Forever.
And if it starts sounding bad, just get them reconed. Magnets generally dont go bad.

+1. I still have two of the original speakers from my Traynor cab, which are well over 35 years old. One still sees use every day in my Crate combo amp.
yeah they'll be fine, look in to getting em reconed.

But taking out 2 of the speakers and putting em in the combo isnt gonna gibe you the same tone as if you were to play through the 4x12, the 4x12 will have more bass and most likley sound better.

but by all means, experiment, and if you like it, get em reconed, they'll sound even better.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by kool98769
The awnser is:
Forever.

Yeah magnets don't go bad all that quick, but paper cones do not last foever. And I don't think these are serviceable, though I might be wrong.