Or I'm getting it. My dad and I are discussing to put one in the Strat. The thing is that we LOVE the tone of P90s. I know, then I should get P90s, however, having listened to clips of midboost (such as Pete Townshend) I've found them to have a kind of similar tone to P90s. I went out today to try the Clapton Strat, but found none. I did try a Blade however, with a midboost, but it wasn't one with a knob, just full on. It had quite nice tone, but sometimes it was TOO much of it. Thing is no shop had the Clapton Strat, which would be the closest.

So my questions are:
1. Is a midboost worth it?
2. Will it give us a tone closer to P90s or humbucker out of the Strat?
3. Will it affect the tone when it's off?
4. Which midboost should we get? We're thinking about the EMG SPC, it's pretty cheap and supposedly very good.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Or I'm getting it. My dad and I are discussing to put one in the Strat. The thing is that we LOVE the tone of P90s. I know, then I should get P90s, however, having listened to clips of midboost (such as Pete Townshend) I've found them to have a kind of similar tone to P90s. I went out today to try the Clapton Strat, but found none. I did try a Blade however, with a midboost, but it wasn't one with a knob, just full on. It had quite nice tone, but sometimes it was TOO much of it. Thing is no shop had the Clapton Strat, which would be the closest.

So my questions are:
1. Is a midboost worth it?
2. Will it give us a tone closer to P90s or humbucker out of the Strat?
3. Will it affect the tone when it's off?
4. Which midboost should we get? We're thinking about the EMG SPC, it's pretty cheap and supposedly very good.

1: yes
2: probably inbetween a humbucker and a p90
3: Not sure on that, i would assume no, if its a good midboost
4: I have also heard good things about the EMG SPC, i've also seen the clapton midboost ones for 90 bucks or so.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i kno nothing about mid boosts, but i think u might get better reply if u put this in the gear building and customizing thread.
1. Depends on the music you play, for the most part yes.
2. It will be in the middle of both, but leaning towards humbuckers.
3. Depends which you buy, some will and some wont.
4. EMG has a heavy sound compared to all others. Theyre good, but have a specific sound.
Thanks for the repsonses. I thought the midboost would be leaning towards humbucekrs, bu that's not a bad thing, then I don't ahve to lug around a Les Paul AND a Strat and can jsut use the Strat (I prefer playing Strat tbh). We basically want the midboost to provide a meatier tone out of our sometimes very thin sounding Strat. Also how is the Clapton midboost diderent? I like that tone a lot (I love Pete Tonwshend's tone and he uses them). Can anybody give me links to good midboosters, preferably in Europe.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

you can't turn off the midboost in the clapton strat, which is annoying. but it does sound more like a P90 to me, but then again, you get some bucker charateristics.

i might get one of these for my strat.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/activepreamps.html
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Outside of the thread topic, but have you ever run a delay with your Orange Gabe? I'm thinking of getting the Rocker, but the lack of an FX loop is about the only thing worrying me
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
^I did try to use a delay with it and it was horrible, the delay sounded awful and distorted.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^I did try to use a delay with it and it was horrible, the delay sounded awful and distorted.

Not what i wanted to hear man, not what i wanted to hear...
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by The red Strat.
i'm pretty sure you can...

hey did you ever get an OCD? and the clapton midboost is really bad. the whole guitar just sounds thin
Quote by s.r.v.
hey did you ever get an OCD? and the clapton midboost is really bad. the whole guitar just sounds thin

nope
i got a ts808 instead.
well actually, my dad got it.
i was still contemplating wheter is should get an ocd or a ts808, when BAM, there's my dad with a ts808 in his hands as a gift for me
thanks for asking
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Not what i wanted to hear man, not what i wanted to hear...

Yeah I know, it sucks but...

You can get a mod for an effects loop though. But I think Jinskee's Nova Delay worked out well, ask him. It mght just be the fact that my delay broke anyway.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^Ahh cool, I'll inquire about it
Can't really afford the FX loop mod, but i really liked the tone of the Rocker when i played it the other day. Its either that or a Fender amp, and a good overdrive
Cheers anyway
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^

But I'm not getting the Guitar Fetish one, hear it isn't too good and the EMG isn't much more anyway.

Which is the best, the Eric Clapton or EMG one? I'm thinking Clapton, since I might be able to try one!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Gabel
^

But I'm not getting the Guitar Fetish one, hear it isn't too good and the EMG isn't much more anyway.

Which is the best, the Eric Clapton or EMG one? I'm thinking Clapton, since I might be able to try one!

meh. i might as well try it out. it's cheap and if it's crap i'm not going to be down that much.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
i think on the blade you can set the amount of boost, but you'd need to get a screwdriver out for that...

other than that, i have nothing. i guess if you can switch it off, you don't have much to lose...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. I spoke with my dad. He said that we'd rather spend more money and get that Clapton midboost. Then we'll just have to find a Clapton sig somewhere and try it and then we can tell we get more or less the exact same thing. I have also tried it and liked it a lot (this is also what Townshend uses and I love his tone).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
UPDATE!

Me and my dad has discussed this and are thinking about putting new pickups instead. And then, of course, it would be... BAREKNUCKLES!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

nice...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?