Okay, I own a Squier Strat (Or Squier shyt, whichever you prefer). It obviously sucks at tone, but it was my first guitar so yeah. So, I decided to get a new guitar but I dont really know what to look for:

I play mostly modern rock, and hard rock. Im looking for something with a good tone and good sustain. Im not really looking for something with a Tremolo Bridge unless its a Floyd Rose and in my budget, which I doubt.

I'd prefer to not go over a $450 dollar budget.

Thanks.
A new amp would be better for you... But if you're set on a guitar, have a look at epiphone G400, les pauls or Yamaha rgx 520fz. Or look for a second hand Ibanez S series.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Well, yes, amp is a good choice.

Depends. Modern rock and hard rock are very vague and your name is Shred Hero, so I'm a little unclear as to what you really want to play. Maybe some band names?
get one with double humbuckers, maybe a Ibanez try looking in musiciansfriend.com they have a huge selection.
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
well i also have a squier for my first guitar. last christmas i updated to an ibanez iceman. i also play modern and hard rock and this thing sounds great. it has great sustain and is god for lead or rhythm. only problem is that its $550. its worth it but its whatever you like. id also recommend the kirk hammett signiture (kh-202) its $450. good luck finding something!
Hell yes EMG's are good! yeh, they do pick some more noise than other pick-ups, but their amazing for hard rock and metal since they have a bit of a higher output
Try and listen to some sound samples to decide what pickups you want. EMGs have a specific sound to them that some people love and some find not very versatile.
Quote by osiris8
Try and listen to some sound samples to decide what pickups you want. EMGs have a specific sound to them that some people love and some find not very versatile.

+1

Most people complain about them being very sterile and too trebley. However, it is a love hate thing so if you love it, you love it and vice versa.

As for that guitar, it has PASSIVE EMG's so they are not true EMG's. Those ones are very good and it's not worth getting that guitar IMO.

If you really want a guitar with a tremolo, check out the Ibanez S320, but it IS over $50 of your limit.
you cant really go wrong with a les paul when it comes to rock and hard-rock. Great full tone and can be pretty versitile (sp?)
Customized Fender Stratocastor Standard
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Lag GLA200BCE
Quote by Mwoit
+1

Most people complain about them being very sterile and too trebley. However, it is a love hate thing so if you love it, you love it and vice versa.

As for that guitar, it has PASSIVE EMG's so they are not true EMG's. Those ones are very good and it's not worth getting that guitar IMO.

If you really want a guitar with a tremolo, check out the Ibanez S320, but it IS over $50 of your limit.

:lol:

Just because they're passive doesn't make them not "true EMGs." Just not what most people would recommend when recommending EMG's. You make it sound like if they're passive they're knockoffs.

TS, I would look in to some Schecter's, too. Pretty versatile within the broad spectrum of "modern/hard rock" genre you gave us. You may also want to save up a teeny bit more and get a MIM HSS Strat.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Would this be a good les paul?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=517413V

Its in my budget and Im pretty sure it beats my squier.

That's actually a pretty good find. Gotta love the B-Stock markdowns.

Can I give you a bit of advice though? LP's feel completely different from what you're playing now. Can you get your hands on one before you order that? I'd really recommend it, see if you even like the feel of an LP. Some people simply don't like the feel. Most people do, but you could be one of the ones that don't. I always advise people to try to get their hands on the style, or the exact guitar, before they order one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
id get a les paul or an ibanez with some EMGs if u start playing heavier stuff.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Yamaha rgx 520fz.

THIS. They are AMAZING for there price, out play any Epiphone.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by BaffAttack
That's actually a pretty good find. Gotta love the B-Stock markdowns.

Can I give you a bit of advice though? LP's feel completely different from what you're playing now. Can you get your hands on one before you order that? I'd really recommend it, see if you even like the feel of an LP. Some people simply don't like the feel. Most people do, but you could be one of the ones that don't. I always advise people to try to get their hands on the style, or the exact guitar, before they order one.

My friend has a les paul that I can play and see if I like it. That exact LP that I posted doesn't have EMG's, is that a problem?
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
My friend has a les paul that I can play and see if I like it. That exact LP that I posted doesn't have EMG's, is that a problem?

Only if you feel you positively need EMG's. You say modern/hard rock, and most times EMG's, especially the active ones people like to jizz about, are geared towards metal genres.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
ESP EC-200QM

Pretty good guitar for the price.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by BaffAttack
Only if you feel you positively need EMG's. You say modern/hard rock, and most times EMG's, especially the active ones people like to jizz about, are geared towards metal genres.

Alright, thanks.
If you still have the amp that came with your squier then I STRONGLY recommend you buy a new amp first, as I'm sure everyone else on this website would. I was in the same boat as you, starting with a squier strat pack and all, and I bought a new amp before a new guitar. My friend bought a Gibson LP and a Marshall Valvestate 50 amp, and the Squier and the amp I have sound 100x better then his Gibson and Marshall. His Gibson sounds beautiful through my amp though, meaning that the amp is far more important than a guitar. It's probably better for you to get a nice 300$ amp and then save up for a new guitar or else you're going to be thoroughly disappointed.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by BaffAttack
:lol:

Just because they're passive doesn't make them not "true EMGs." Just not what most people would recommend when recommending EMG's. You make it sound like if they're passive they're knockoffs.

Fair enough point, but in the Ibanez model the TS linked to didn't have EMG-HZ's; they had Designed By EMG pickups which are a totally different beast from the active EMGS or HZ series.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Would this be a good les paul?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=517413V

Its in my budget and Im pretty sure it beats my squier.

I own one, and it's probably the best 'budget' LP you can get! Playing it for years and years now, never had ANY problems with it.
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Hey the best site to buy a guitar would be simply ebay. I have seen quite cheap quality guitars there before. Good luck with the hunt!
Quote by kyle100
If you still have the amp that came with your squier then I STRONGLY recommend you buy a new amp first, as I'm sure everyone else on this website would. I was in the same boat as you, starting with a squier strat pack and all, and I bought a new amp before a new guitar. My friend bought a Gibson LP and a Marshall Valvestate 50 amp, and the Squier and the amp I have sound 100x better then his Gibson and Marshall. His Gibson sounds beautiful through my amp though, meaning that the amp is far more important than a guitar. It's probably better for you to get a nice 300$ amp and then save up for a new guitar or else you're going to be thoroughly disappointed.

You see after the summer is over I will have enough money for a 400W amp because a few months after that we are going to start playing small gigs. Come Christmas I am getting a new guitar (Why I posted this thread) because if my parents are willing to buy me one might as well take it because a $400+ Ibanez beats my no sustain squier. =)
TS: Epiphone Les Paul Range. Try to not get anything cheaper than a studio though, can be a bit dodgy at times. I recommend Les Paul Standard.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
I would not recommend getting the B-stock Les Paul. Especially since you can afford a perfectly new one. If I were you, I would definitely try one out though. The fatter neck can be hard to get used to.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Okay, the past two days I was playing my friends Les Paul and I didnt like the neck, I couldnt get used to it at all. So, now that the LPs are out of the way I guess Im back to a good Ibanez guitar. I was looking around my local music store and I saw this beauty, I didnt get a chance to play it because I was running short on time but Im going up sometime this week. I was just wondering what you're guys opinion is on this guitar and somethings I should pay close attention to while trying it out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481915
Quote by kyle100
If you still have the amp that came with your squier then I STRONGLY recommend you buy a new amp first, as I'm sure everyone else on this website would.

a cheap amp will wreck any guitar

Id say at that cost you should just save up more for a prestige if you go ibanez.

This is just a strat but I am sure since fender owns floyd this is a OFR In it: I never seen one in real life yet:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-FR-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517910&src=3SOSWXXA
Last edited by cruc1a7 at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by cruc1a7
a cheap amp will wreck any guitar

Id say at that cost you should just save up more for a prestige if you go ibanez.

This is just a strat but I am sure since fender owns floyd this is a OFR In it: I never seen one in real life yet:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-FR-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517910&src=3SOSWXXA

The only prestige models I can get my hands on are $900 or up as far as Ibanez and I'll be gigging in a few months. Im getting a halfstack after the summer and a new guitar for christmas. Thats why I need to know what guitar to get.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
The only prestige models I can get my hands on are $900 or up as far as Ibanez and I'll be gigging in a few months. Im getting a halfstack after the summer and a new guitar for christmas. Thats why I need to know what guitar to get.

Just a few heads up on Ibanez models below Prestige level...

- Read this guide on Ibanez tremolo systems. Most Ibanez guitars below Prestige level have low quality trems AKA the Edge III system.
- If you do want a guitar with a trem, get a second hand guitar (RG5xx or upwards) or an Ibanez S320. Trust me! It's not worth getting a guitar with a **** trem. Or even better, get a hardtail guitar.
- Pickups in most guitars around this price bracket are cheap and ****; you will most likely swap them out in the future.
- Try them out in store! You can read as much hype and praise for a brand or certain model but in the end it's subjective; so many users recommended Schecter guitars which had a great spec sheet but I just did not like the neck full stop.

As for that Ibanez you linked, I'd avoid it. The Korean Ibanez 3xx series are generally shoddily made I find.

And if you're thinking about getting a halfstack, make sure it's a quality one. Any halfstack below $1000 (or even more, unsure of US prices) WILL be ****. A good 30W tube combo is loud as hell, and even if you are gigging, there will be a P.A. system available to make sure you are heard.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Does this sound like something for me? It has two EMG humbuckers. Are EMG's good? I heard they pick up a lot of extra noise?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784

everyone in metallica uses EMGs(just to give u an idea of what they sound like).
and YES, they are great pickups
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
You see after the summer is over I will have enough money for a 400W amp because a few months after that we are going to start playing small gigs. Come Christmas I am getting a new guitar (Why I posted this thread) because if my parents are willing to buy me one might as well take it because a $400+ Ibanez beats my no sustain squier. =)

Wait...What? Do you really need that much?
Go Epiphone, then save up for some EMG's. if you have the amp for it you will kick ass lol
ill sell you my jackson slsmg soloist with seymour duncans in it for $500. Satin black with a hard case. no floyd, string thru, neck is nothing like a LP.
she's on the left(obvi)

email if interested: JLC9909 at Yahoo.com
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Did you check out the Epiphone SG, or the Epiphone Explorer? Those have thinner necks than the Les Pauls. They'll get you started on a nice fat metal tone. And DO NOT buy some P.O.S 400 watt amp. You don't need it. Go for a lower end tube amp. And with tube, you will need 50 watts max.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RGX520FZ-Electric-Guitar?sku=519043

This, the Yamaha RGX series, can handle anything you throw at it, and its pickups are designed for higher gain (up your street) Looks amazing plays amazing and has got FANSTATIC reviews... http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Yamaha/RGX-520FZ/10/1
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by ~Shred Hero~

dude go to a music store and play all the guitars you can get your hands on......THEN decide.