So I've got a Schecter Tempest Custom fitted with the stock HB-102s. I love the feel and sound of this guitar with the exception of the 5th and 6th strings. They're somewhat overly bassy and muddy to my ear. The rest sound great aside from the obnoxiously loud G-string(but I guess that's true for everyone). I've tweaked the volume and tone knobs quite a bit to get them to my liking, but the problem with those low strings remains.

I'm playing through a cheap Crate GLX-15 which works alright for now. I've tried my guitar through a few other amps and while the bass is noticeably more defined on better gear, it's still a bit muddy and sort of "warms" up everything a bit too much.

Since these are HB-102s, I'm assuming maybe I should just buy the Hot Rodded SD(JB/Jazz) set to replace them? Will that get rid of the muddiness I'm hearing in those low strings? Or is it a simple matter of adjusting the pickup heights? Or is this just how these highish output pickups always sound and I should be considering some other set?
If its just those strings, you could re-set up the pickups.

Undo the screw on the side of the pickup below the 5th and 6th strings. Make the pickup go lower (away from the strings) just on that side.

That may help a lot.
Quote by Edgey_15

Undo the screw on the side of the pickup below the 5th and 6th strings. Make the pickup go lower (away from the strings) just on that side.

That may help a lot.

+1
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by Edgey_15

That may help a lot.

I'll give that a shot this afternoon. Thanks for the tip! And yeah I do enjoy the sound of the other strings, just those last two are noticeably off to my ear.