I found a Charvel guitar in a pawn shop yesterday. It was $375 used (Canadian dollars), and it had a double-locking trem system (ie Floyd Rose) that was made literally out of real metal. There was a tiny bit of rust on it. It had one Jackson pup and one Charvel pup.

I hadn't heard of the brand name before, so I did some research and found out that Charvel is a subsidiary of Jackson guitars. But that's about all I know. This guitar was pretty old. I didn't write down its model name. That being said, I was wondering if anybody knew anything at all about Charvels and whether or not they're good guitars. Has anybody ever used them before? Would they recommend one?

Sorry for my sparse info on the guitar.

UPDATE: We have figured out this is a 3A. Is a $375 used price tag on a Charvel 3A with an HH setup, a Jackson bridge p-up and a Charvel neck p-up a good buy? It's not exactly in mint condition. No pick guard. Bolt on neck.
Last edited by Nathan_393 at Jul 3, 2008,
Need more info.

How many frets, what kind of p-ups (hum or single), p-up config, control layout, pickguard or no, bolt on or neck-thru.

Anyway, Charvels are awesome. Besides their "Charvette" line of guitars, they are all fantastic players. I definitely recommend them.

And no, fender just bought the name in '03. The USA shop still employs the same people that made them in the '80s.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Last edited by mogar at Jul 3, 2008,
I know the high-end Charvel guitars are really good; the Star model I tried was quite the epic guitar!

Wayne Charvel started Charvel up making guitars and essentially hot-rodding Strats with double locking trems, HSH combos and blah blah. Then I think he made a partnership with Grover Jackson and eventually Jackson took over. Charvel guitars are quite good, the ones I've tried were brilliant! Can you remember what kind of Charvel that is you played?
i own one w/o the floyd rose, and i love it! its the H/S/S strat model and i "traded" for my boss pedal (lead guitarist stole it and for compesation gave it to me) and it was a great "trade"... and i think EVH played one...
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Quote by stratdud39
its also from fender(which jackson is from)

only cause Fender bought Jackson out idiot Charvel Started Jackson then fender bought JAckson....
Quote by MetalIsBrootalz
only cause Fender bought Jackson out idiot Charvel Started Jackson then fender bought JAckson....

Calm down, bro. No need for name calling.

No one is really that excited that you know how to use Wikipedia.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by TheProducer
Calm down, bro. No need for name calling.
my bad some people just needa get there **** straight I wish Fender woulda never bought them out cause for some reaosn I just hate the fender brand name...
Quote by MetalIsBrootalz
my bad some people just needa get there **** straight I wish Fender woulda never bought them out cause for some reaosn I just hate the fender brand name...

I don't even follow how he was so totally wrong.
Quote by Mwoit
I know the high-end Charvel guitars are really good; the Star model I tried was quite the epic guitar!

Wayne Charvel started Charvel up making guitars and essentially hot-rodding Strats with double locking trems, HSH combos and blah blah. Then I think he made a partnership with Grover Jackson and eventually Jackson took over. Charvel guitars are quite good, the ones I've tried were brilliant! Can you remember what kind of Charvel that is you played?

Actually, the only information on it apart from the brand name was a serial number on the back. Is there a possibility it was fake?
Quote by TheProducer
I don't even follow how he was so totally wrong.

because fender only just bought them out in 2003 so techniacally the guitars the TS was tlaking about never were fender
In my opinion, regardless of Fender buying out Jackson, Jackson is still Jackson. It's not like Fender has totally raped the Jackson brand name and altered anything.
Quote by MetalIsBrootalz
because fender only just bought them out in 2003 so techniacally the guitars the TS was tlaking about never were fender

Right.

Well, if you want to be technical, Charvel was sold to Jackson, then Charvel/Jackson was sold to another company and then they were bought by Fender.
Quote by mogar
Need more info.

How many frets, what kind of p-ups (hum or single), p-up config, control layout, pickguard or no, bolt on or neck-thru.

Anyway, Charvels are awesome. Besides their "Charvette" line of guitars, they are all fantastic players. I definitely recommend them.

And no, fender just bought the name in '03. The USA shop still employs the same people that made them in the '80s.

Oh, it had two humbucker pickups, bridge was Jackson, neck was a Charvel. It didn't have a pickguard and was a bolt on neck. And I'm not sure about the control layout or how many frets there were; I apologize.

Thanks for your help though; your words of recommendation are exactly what I wanted to hear.
Sounds like a model 3a. Japanese made super-strat. The trem is a JT-6 and is easily on par with a licensed schaller floyd. $375 isn't a super deal, but it is the average price I've seen for them lately. If the p-ups weren't changed, they should be j80c's.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I have a Charvel and it's pretty awesome. Is the charvel logo in the shape of a guitar or toothpaste like the Jackson logo?
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by mogar
Sounds like a model 3a. Japanese made super-strat. The trem is a JT-6 and is easily on par with a licensed schaller floyd. $375 isn't a super deal, but it is the average price I've seen for them lately. If the p-ups weren't changed, they should be j80c's.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Possibly. Was the logo tooth paste font or guitar shaped? What shape was the headstock. Hard to ID them with that little bit of info. If it's a Model series, the neck plate would of had the Forth Worth address on it. I wouldn't say the JT6 is on par with a Schaller. The baseplates are built similarly (with a hardened steel insert for a knife point), though the rest was pot metal. The screws were also easy to strip/tear the heads off of, and the trem itself was a bit hard to setup. Fine though from a performance stand point, but they are a bit trouble some to work on. BTW, brief timeline:

Charvel: Circa 1977 (USA Production Ends in 1986) - 1996 (killed off after Akai buy out), 2002 - Present (Fender).
Quote by sk8boardbob2
I have a Charvel and it's pretty awesome. Is the charvel logo in the shape of a guitar or toothpaste like the Jackson logo?

It was in the shape of a guitar.
Quote by CJRocker
Possibly. Was the logo tooth paste font or guitar shaped? What shape was the headstock. Hard to ID them with that little bit of info. If it's a Model series, the neck plate would of had the Forth Worth address on it. I wouldn't say the JT6 is on par with a Schaller. The baseplates are built similarly (with a hardened steel insert for a knife point), though the rest was pot metal. The screws were also easy to strip/tear the heads off of, and the trem itself was a bit hard to setup. Fine though from a performance stand point, but they are a bit trouble some to work on. BTW, brief timeline:

Charvel: Circa 1977 (USA Production Ends in 1986) - 1996 (killed off after Akai buy out), 2002 - Present (Fender).

It's not a 3a, because the 3a had a different pickup configuration. The 3a has two single coils and one humbucker, but this guitar had two humbuckers. The logo was the guitar logo. The neck humbucker was Jackson, and the bridge humbucker was a Charvel.
Quote by Nathan_393
It was in the shape of a guitar.

I think that pretty much seals it up that it is a 3A. That's a fair price for one, but I would talk him down to around $300 if it's in anything less then mint condition.
Quote by CJRocker
I think that pretty much seals it up that it is a 3A. That's a fair price for one, but I would talk him down to around $300 if it's in anything less then mint condition.

Is it possible for it to be counterfeit? I don't 100% trust this store, so if there's any way to tell I would much appreciate it.
I think Charvel is the better version of Jackson. I believe certain ones were made in San Dimas CA. I don't know too much about them but my friend's dad has a prototype Charvel which I believe is a natural Korina body.
you getting some good help here but you should go to the jackson/ charvel owners site........jcf online .com ...i think, and you can find out any thing you need to know about that charvel as long as you have the serial #.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by mig-29
you getting some good help here but you should go to the jackson/ charvel owners site........jcf online .com ...i think, and you can find out any thing you need to know about that charvel as long as you have the serial #.

Thanks man! I'll get the serial # and check out the site.
Quote by PhoenixFear
I think Charvel is the better version of Jackson. I believe certain ones were made in San Dimas CA. I don't know too much about them but my friend's dad has a prototype Charvel which I believe is a natural Korina body.

I thought all of them were made in California, but I am probably wrong. Thanks!
Quote by Nathan_393
I found a Charvel guitar in a pawn shop yesterday. It was $375 used (Canadian dollars), and it had a double-locking trem system (ie Floyd Rose) that was made literally out of real metal. There was a tiny bit of rust on it. It had one Jackson pup and one Charvel pup.

I hadn't heard of the brand name before, so I did some research and found out that Charvel is a subsidiary of Jackson guitars. But that's about all I know. This guitar was pretty old. I didn't write down its model name. That being said, I was wondering if anybody knew anything at all about Charvels and whether or not they're good guitars. Has anybody ever used them before? Would they recommend one?

Sorry for my sparse info on the guitar.

Really vauge dude
Was it HS? HSS, SSS?
Pickguard?
Neckthru?
22 frets?
5way selector or 3 individual selectors?
How many knobs?
Scaller or jackson tremelo?
What was the headstock shape?
Did it have the toothpaste logo?
How about the neckplate?
awnser these questions and we can identify!

And If i remember right, jackson came after charvel.

Quote by Nathan_393
Is it possible for it to be counterfeit? I don't 100% trust this store, so if there's any way to tell I would much appreciate it.

Counterfeit jacksons/charvels don't really exist.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by stratdud39
its also from fender(which jackson is from)

eh no. just flat out no to the fullest extent of the word. charvel/jackson were their own company until they were bought by fender in the late 90's i think
Quote by kool98769
Counterfeit jacksons/charvels don't really exist.

I would say that's only about 75% correct. People do fake the Pre-Pro's from time to time, due to the fact it's hard to pin down if they are fakes and there is serious money to be made doing it. Some people also fake the San Dimas, but that is really uncommon. You also have people who call the Model Series USA Made due to the USA address on the neckplate, but that is more a case of mistaken identity/fraud than an actual fake. I've never seen an actual fake Model series.

Also, Charvel was always the Super Strat brand back in the 80s, doing 22 fret bolt on neck super strats and Teles with Fender headstocks and also doing modifications. Jackson was aimed at the heavy metal players Then in 1986 Charvel was generalized and demoted "lower end" market, with Jackson being the premier guitar until 1990 with the Jackson Pros. Now Charvel is once again the Super Strat company and Jackson targets the shredders and heavy metal players.
Oh man, once again CJRocker is proving to an unsuspecting thread-full of UG'rs that he actually knows EVERYTHING about Jacksons and Charvels!

To the TS: I don't know if this is a standard affair in Canadian pawn shops, but it sure is here in the US: haggle with him. If it says $375 that generally means you can snag it for about $300 if you play your cards right and they have had it for long enough!
Quote by CJRocker
Then in 1986 Charvel was generalized and demoted "lower end" market, with Jackson being the premier guitar until 1990 with the Jackson Pros.

The Models 6s, 650 and 750s were just as good as the pros IMO.
Charvel 750= Jackson Archtop Pro
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
In my local music shop the other day, I saw a Charvel guitar with the coolest paint job. It was a Rising Sun-esque decal with the sun starting in the bottom right hand corner with the rays coming out in all directions.

And it was only $400.