i am writing a POS instrumental that atm has chords (major and power) and drums from hydrogen.

i wish to add a lead track over this because the distorted bit is a bit repetetive and i feel the whole piece needs one.

the chords are all major... AACCGGGGG repeated 3 times then AACCBB then into power chords.

i was thinking use A scale for two njotes then move sxcale but then i thought this would be pointless. so i would like to know which scale to use it needs to be enough for a 30 second lead part over these chords clean and some power chords distorted after it. basically what would your suggestions be?

and dont flame my music its rubbish but i am starting simple...

thankyou
Try A minor penatonic
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
could anyone tell me why these seemingly random scales...i know a bit of theory but defo not enuff
Quote by rojomeansred
you want to solo in a major? there is no C in a major

not solo completely just lead cos there will be plenty of rhythm behind it

and the last bit...wtf
Quote by guitarplaya322
C maj or A min pentatonic for a more bluesy sound

+1

just play an a minor pentatonic, but when your playing over the A maj, make sure you hit G#, and also makke sure that you DON'T hit G (G# is the major 3rd, G is the minor 3rd). try to aim for notes that are in hte chord, so when your on A maj, target A, G#, and E. When you are over C maj, target C, E, G. When you are over G, target G, B, D.
well it's hard to do with one scale because all the chords are major, and so its not diatonic. but I'd say this, It's A mixolydian, with a added minor 3rd, to accomodate the C major.

|-----------------------------------6-7-8-10-12-13-15--|
|----------------------------7-8-10--------------------|
|--------------------5-6-7-9---------------------------|
|--------------5-7-9-----------------------------------|
|--------5-7-9-----------------------------------------|
|5-7-8-9-----------------------------------------------|
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Look up Marty Friedman's Melodic Control on googlevideo, it's about soloing over chords. VERY helpful.
Call me Batman.
basically, the problem is that although A is you're root note you are using C, which doesn't fit into the A major scale but rather the A minor scale. That would be fine, but you're using C major and NOT C minor, so to create a melody you either need to combine two or more scales, or alter existing scales to fit your song.

EDIT:
wait, for the AACCBB part, are you using power chords? Because if so you could just use A minor, since fifth chords are atonal.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
Last edited by dark_gilbert at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by dark_gilbert
basically, the problem is that although A is you're root note you are using C, which doesn't fit into the A major scale but rather the A minor scale. That would be fine, but you're using C major and NOT C minor, so to create a melody you either need to combine two or more scales, or alter existing scales to fit your song.

EDIT:
wait, for the AACCBB part, are you using power chords? Because if so you could just use A minor, since fifth chords are atonal.

It would be better to alter the chords - replacing the A with an Am and the B with B dim or simply B minor would sound a whole lot better, I'm guessing it will sound more like the TS imagined it would anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yh it's just a quik "experiment" with recording things all by myself i won't edit it but i will bear this in mind and use a lot of the scales you hav suggested...

thankyou very much

EDIT: i'm not liking the Am it doesnt sound different enough to the Cmajor o well i'll just do wateva lol but thanks with the scales
Last edited by wooftang999 at Jul 3, 2008,