I started guitar about a week and a half ago and i have learned a few chords, how to read tabs, and a few songs. I got a fender squier bullet (cream) from my best friend for my birthday and i love it!

well i also have a couple of questions. I have trouble strumming the 1-3 strings for the verse of island in the sun without looking at the guitar or i will mess up and strum more than i need to. Is there anyway to get better at this?

Also, i have built calouses on my index, middle, and ring finger. But for some reason my index finger feels like a thorn or something went in it. Could tiny fragments of steel from the guitar string have went into my finger and gotten it infected?
Hi.

I'm sorry, but introductions go in the New Members' Q&A forum, and those guitar questions belong in the guitar basics forum.

Please read the rules before posting a thread.

*reported*
Practice slower and the infection is not likely but still check it out. Probably it just hurts so give it a rest.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by headintheclouds
Could tiny fragments of steel from the guitar string have went into my finger and gotten it infected?

I really don't think so.
Probably something else not related to guitar, OR you poked your finger on the sharp, pointy cut parts of the sting near the tuners.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It must be saddening to be reported after the very first post.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by headintheclouds
I started guitar about a week and a half ago and i have learned a few chords, how to read tabs, and a few songs. I got a fender squier bullet (cream) from my best friend for my birthday and i love it!

Quote by headintheclouds
well i also have a couple of questions. I have trouble strumming the 1-3 strings for the verse of island in the sun without looking at the guitar or i will mess up and strum more than i need to. Is there anyway to get better at this?

Also, i have built calouses on my index, middle, and ring finger. But for some reason my index finger feels like a thorn or something went in it. Could tiny fragments of steel from the guitar string have went into my finger and gotten it infected?

pop over to Guitar & Bass Basics. they'll know more than us.
he is a prodigy. he gets warned for his introduction.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
with the strumming of the strings just dont think about about it and you will eventually be able to play them naturally
Not that I disagree with reporting, but I have never seen a forum on the internet with more users consistently reporting, you guys are the least lazy forum people on the net.
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
Indeed Attack, i think reported on the first post is stupid.

Rockford Rocks, stop trying to police the Pit.
The poor guy obviously doesn't know his way around the forum, give him a break.

To you "headintheclouds" it is very unlikely you have infected your finger due to anything guitar related.
And the strumming thing, is all about practice. It will take months to improve to a decent level.

My advice to you is keep practising, play about an hour or more per day, going through songs, and learning new ones. After you can play around 10 easy songs, start looking at things a little more advanced. For example, once learning to play wonderwall, try looking at a song with more complex rythm, such as The Importance Of Being Idle.
(Oasis).
i got a piece of string in my finger once...but it was my fault cause my actions all messed up and my strings are old so they were all cut up.
Quote by Edgey_15
After you can play around 10 easy songs, start looking at things a little more advanced.

Crap i knew i was doing something wrong I can't even probably play 10 songs.... but then i never bothered learning entire songs. I can play like 75-90% of about 100 songs though.

You could at least not have put *reported* in the post

Welcome to UG, man, and that finger thing sounds extremely unlikely, as others have said.

Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...