Hey guys. I need some advise. I bought a new yamaha pacifica 721 back in 94'. I haven't touched it since, but now have the itch to finally learn how to play it. I'm a beginner that knows a few basic chords and some major and minor barre chords. My preferences are classic rock and 80's metal. My question is should I ressurect the yamaha with a set of new pickups h-s-h or buy a new guitar. My budget is about 450.00 us. for either a new guitar or new pickups and another 400.00 for an amp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by chris6666 at Jul 3, 2008,
Dude, I would get a new guitar if i was you...
And if you do get a new one dont worry about what brand you should get....just sit down, try it, and if it sounds good to you....get it
That simple
Well you of course there's no real reason in buying a new guitar when your only a beginner but you did ask so...I will reconmend buying a new guitar. Although replacing pickups is not a terribly daunting or difficult task, it can be a little hit and miss whether you actually make the tone that much better. Replacing pickups doesn't increase your tone by that much at all. The biggest leap in tone for you will be a nice 20 watt valve amp! They are costly but look into it and see what you can find. Hiwatt, Randall, Orange, Marhsall, Laney, Line 6 make some nifty amps at decent prices.
Also, a new guitar, for you I would suggest ESP, Jackson and Ibanez. They make some of the best low range guitars for the 80's rock fans. They have fast necks and high ouput pickups, perfect really.
Quote by slashrock94
My advice is don't let the grammer nazis get hold of you

I never worry about grammar nazis. I will be the first to admit that my typing skills are not the greatest.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Well you of course there's no real reason in buying a new guitar when your only a beginner but you did ask so...I will reconmend buying a new guitar. Although replacing pickups is not a terribly daunting or difficult task, it can be a little hit and miss whether you actually make the tone that much better. Replacing pickups doesn't increase your tone by that much at all. The biggest leap in tone for you will be a nice 20 watt valve amp! They are costly but look into it and see what you can find. Hiwatt, Randall, Orange, Marhsall, Laney, Line 6 make some nifty amps at decent prices.
Also, a new guitar, for you I would suggest ESP, Jackson and Ibanez. They make some of the best low range guitars for the 80's rock fans. They have fast necks and high ouput pickups, perfect really.

What would a new guitar have to offer over what I currently own. The yamaha has a solid alder body with a bolt on maple neck and rosewood frets. I only ask because I'm not sure what to look for in a new guitar.
Is just playing with your Yamaha the way it is right now not an option? I mean you said you were a beginner, and the Pacificas are known to be solid beginner guitars. I say you just practice on that, without even changing the pickups. Just put some new strings on it and you're good to go.
Quote by SnoDog
Is just playing with your Yamaha the way it is right now not an option? I mean you said you were a beginner, and the Pacificas are known to be solid beginner guitars. I say you just practice on that, without even changing the pickups. Just put some new strings on it and you're good to go.

The problem with that ismy kids got a hold of it when they were younger (long story, they are now 17 and 18yrs) and there isnt any pickups on it except for the bridge. So its either buy a new one or replace all the pickups. Btw I paid around 450.00 for it back in 94' and the replacement equivelent for it is the 612v which is priced at 599.99 and doesnt come with the floyd rose tremelo.
Ah I see now. Well the guitar you have, if it is structuraly sound in the boby and most importantly, the neck then everything else could be fixed and rearranged by a tech.
I only said replace the guitar because I got the impression you didn't like your old axe and wished it were better and thought that purchasing new pickups will leave you with that option. But if you are happy with it and just need new pickups...
Seymour Duncans are brilliant pickups, there are so many on offer as well. You can look through them all if you want, or you can get the classic setup: JB / '59 respectively. I don't know anywhere that sells them off hand, but I bet any shop that retails pickups seperately will have them in stock as there pretty much the most popular setup in history. They cover all genres and styles, unlike EMG's.
If you are looking into buying a new guitar. Try and find these things: Mahogany or Alder body, Maple or Rosewood neck; Rosewood fingerboard, Two humbuckers in the bridge and neck position (depending on your styles, don't get active pickups. They are very hot and are designed for high output gain, for metal really. They don't 'do' cleans that well or classic rock) For a starter guitar, its best if you have a fixed bridge and not the floating tremolo system (Floyd Rose) that you mentioned you already had on the guitar you currently own. Floyd Rose's can be very difficult to work with and can decrease your instinctive desire to pick up and play.
That said, it all depends on what you prefer. If you love the sound of a Strat's single coils and Alder body, then find something of similar spec to that.

In the end, its not a matter of what is best, its a matter of what you prefer to do.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Ah I see now. Well the guitar you have, if it is structuraly sound in the boby and most importantly, the neck then everything else could be fixed and rearranged by a tech.
I only said replace the guitar because I got the impression you didn't like your old axe and wished it were better and thought that purchasing new pickups will leave you with that option. But if you are happy with it and just need new pickups...
Seymour Duncans are brilliant pickups, there are so many on offer as well. You can look through them all if you want, or you can get the classic setup: JB / '59 respectively. I don't know anywhere that sells them off hand, but I bet any shop that retails pickups seperately will have them in stock as there pretty much the most popular setup in history. They cover all genres and styles, unlike EMG's.
If you are looking into buying a new guitar. Try and find these things: Mahogany or Alder body, Maple or Rosewood neck; Rosewood fingerboard, Two humbuckers in the bridge and neck position (depending on your styles, don't get active pickups. They are very hot and are designed for high output gain, for metal really. They don't 'do' cleans that well or classic rock) For a starter guitar, its best if you have a fixed bridge and not the floating tremolo system (Floyd Rose) that you mentioned you already had on the guitar you currently own. Floyd Rose's can be very difficult to work with and can decrease your instinctive desire to pick up and play.
That said, it all depends on what you prefer. If you love the sound of a Strat's single coils and Alder body, then find something of similar spec to that.

In the end, its not a matter of what is best, its a matter of what you prefer to do.

thanks for the info, I ordered some of the missing parts from Yamaha and there is a local shop that deals with guitars exclusively. So I'm going to have him check the neck , bridge and if all looks good, I'll have him install the new pickups and set it up , if not then my second option will probably be the mid priced Ibanez rg series or the Mexican telecaster.

For the amp I was looking at the vox ad50vt or the peavey valveking 112