The second solo is just killing me. The fast repeating part that starts at about 5:09 is the part thats getting me. Same for the part that starts at 5:18. Is there anyway to practice these effectively? I can get the rest of the solo clean with no problems, but these are just killing me.
Ok.
I find the lick that repeats near the end (5:18 one I think is the one), is easiest to do with a sort of banjo roll. Your thumb will be hitting the B string and your index and middle fingers should be only hitting the E string. I used to play banjo, and the hardest thing to do, IMO, is to keep your fingers moving consistently when you change left hand fingerings.

E|--13p10----10-13p10----10---
B|--------10----------10------
G|----------------------------
D|----------------------------
A|----------------------------
E|----------------------------
     I     T  M  I     T  M

Also, make sure at least your pinky is anchored against the body of the guitar. It would be ideal if your pinky and ring fingers were anchored, but to be honest, even I have trouble doing that. It may be awkward at first, but you will not be able to pull off any Mark Knopler style rolls without doing it.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
Also, make sure at least your pinky is anchored against the body of the guitar. It would be ideal if your pinky and ring fingers were anchored, but to be honest, even I have trouble doing that. It may be awkward at first, but you will not be able to pull off any Mark Knopler style rolls without doing it.

Not to get into the whole "anchored vs. unanchored" thing, but you definitely don't have to anchor to play that lick, and I wouldn't say that it's preferable to playing unanchored.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Sorry, I just haven't played the song in ages. I only remember the lick, but I couldn't remember the key. I guess it would make more sense to have in Dm instead of Eb minor, though. I'll fix it.

Edit: Fixed. And to John, as a former banjo player, I just think that it should be strongly suggested that anchoring be used. But, that's just my opinion.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 3, 2008,
I originally tried to learn this Mark Knopflers way, then gave up, but I play it with the pick now. It took me an awful lot of practice to get that up to speed (an awful lot), but if you want to use the pick I suggest economy picking the lick....

so your 1st stroke is an upstroke - pull off, then upstroke again on the B, then down on the top E. Repeat (for months on end may I add).
Last edited by mdc at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
Edit: Fixed. And to John, as a former banjo player, I just think that it should be strongly suggested that anchoring be used. But, that's just my opinion.

And mine would be strongly opposed to that.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.