Poll Options
View poll results: Should I?
Yes. It's worth the shot.
169 90%
No. WTF are you thinking?
19 10%
Voters: 188.
Page 1 of 3
Last week, in the conference I went to, there was this presentation on the Death Penalty here in the US. I got a brochure for "Death Row Support Project" where they give you a chance to write to a death row inmate. You send them a form to them and they send you an inmate's contact info and you write to them, I think they also send a guide as to how you should write. I'm guessing asking an inmate who he killed is not such a hot idea. Anyway, I've filled out the form and I'm still debating whether I should do it.

I'm against the death penalty knowing how racism is a big issue in it and that innocent people are sometimes given this sentence due to lack of better representation. Anyway, wouldn't it be nice for someone spending his remaining days in prison to have a breath of fresh air through a correspondence? But I told a good friend about it and he made me think twice. I mean, what if he broke out or something and came looking for me? =/

So, should I write to a death row inmate or not?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
If you do then tell him what a ****in idiot he is because chaces are he's done something pretty bad.
you should write to a death row inmate. I don't think they'll break out, even if they did break out. You gave them something to look forward to, so they wouldn't kill you.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
In the extremely unlikely event that they escaped, why would they harm someone who took the time to talk to them?

Do it. Contrary to what the tabloid media tells, you not all Death Row inmates are pure evil. Some are undoubtedly extremely unpleasant but most of them will be fairly normal people.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Corpus
That's awesome. I'd want to write to a prisoner.

Can't you use fake personal info?

I don't think I can. If you're serious about wanting to write to one I can give you a link.
Quote by Jackal58
ur not gonna write "death mr. killer. my full name is [insert name here] and i live at [full adress here]" ... so how is he gonna reach u and rape u?

what about "hey, my name is John, bla bla bla" ofc, u can choose ur OWN name :P
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by The_lizard_king
you should write to a death row inmate. I don't think they'll break out, even if they did break out. You gave them something to look forward to, so they wouldn't kill you.

not totally true i am pretty sure there is cases of someone writing to someone in jail. Then that person breaks out and ends up killing the person who wrote the letters. (can't say i am 100% on this but i am pretty sure i heard about it happening)
Quote by magvol
ur not gonna write "death mr. killer. my full name is [insert name here] and i live at [full adress here]" ... so how is he gonna reach u and rape u?

You have to give them your address if you want to get a letter back though.
Don't want to sound like a complete dick here, but is there really a point?
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
Quote by Meths
In the extremely unlikely event that they escaped, why would they harm someone who took the time to talk to them?

Do it. Contrary to what the tabloid media tells, you not all Death Row inmates are pure evil. Some are undoubtedly extremely unpleasant but most of them will be fairly normal people.

Yeah I agree with this guy, most murderers are just normal people
Quote by ViperScale
You have to give them your address if you want to get a letter back though.

But the dudes responsible for the letter thingies can adit it away or sum? im sure they'd do that, but who knows?
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Tell him how great freedom is, and how it's summer and you're going to the beach, having sex with hot girls, and how it's a sunny day.
Quote by kikaykitko
Last week, in the conference I went to, there was this presentation on the Death Penalty here in the US. I got a brochure for "Death Row Support Project" where they give you a chance to write to a death row inmate. You send them a form to them and they send you an inmate's contact info and you write to them, I think they also send a guide as to how you should write. I'm guessing asking an inmate who he killed is not such a hot idea. Anyway, I've filled out the form and I'm still debating whether I should do it.

I'm against the death penalty knowing how racism is a big issue in it and that innocent people are sometimes given this sentence due to lack of better representation. Anyway, wouldn't it be nice for someone spending his remaining days in prison to have a breath of fresh air through a correspondence? But I told a good friend about it and he made me think twice. I mean, what if he broke out or something and came looking for me? =/

what?!
Quote by lefthandman9876
i wouldnt, youd end up getting attached to the person and it might end up getting all "green mile" if you know what i mean.

O.o

Quote by magvol

It depends, I mean if they're allowed to send the mail themselves [not use third party system] then they'd know my name and address anyway.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
what?!

I can explain it if you want [just the very basics] but you might want to read about it yourself.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by The_lizard_king
If he did break out (almost guaranteed not to happen) he would have your return address and if you helped him that's aiding and embedding a criminal, or you could let him kill you. Fun choices.

Cereally though, I fully support the death penalty but you may still want to write to him/her if you want to. There's realistically 0 chance of him escaping and randomly hunting you down.
my brother's friend wrote to Charles Manson and he wrote back. We have a copy of the letter in my house. He has ****ty handwriting and signs his name with a swastika.
I wouldn't. Getting attached to someone who's about to die isn't a good way of having fun IMO
Yeah man.

Send him a message saying "OWNED"

Or you could send him a copy of Ride The Lightning.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Oh, I think they also let you write to people sentenced to life without parole. Which is cool because I know there are a couple hundred minors with this sentence after being tried as adults [when they were around 13-16yo average I think]. I know, the system is kinda twisted.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by jim morrison714
my brother's friend wrote to Charles Manson and he wrote back. We have a copy of the letter in my house. He has ****ty handwriting and signs his name with a swastika.

post it or give it to me in some way, i want to see it
Quote by Meths

exactly. it seems like a decent idea. you might learn something interesting from them.
Quote by Meths

+1. I say do it.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Yes, it could lift their spirits in the days (or years) before their death, something I wish for everyone.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by daytripper75
exactly. it seems like a decent idea. you might learn something interesting from them.

My thoughts exactly. Oh and here is something from the brochure:

"At first I though everyone had forgotten about me, but I was wrong. The Thomsom family has really lifted my spirits. It's nice to know that there are people who care."
-William Hance, executed in 1994 in GA
Quote by Jackal58
I would do it. If you were on death row, with no friends and most likely no family, it would be very uplifting to recieve mail from a total stranger who took the time and consideration to do something like that. Hell, maybe you can even meet him (or her o.O) before they inject the needle.

Although I, personally, would write to someone who is in for life, since you wouldnt get connected to the person and then they die, leaving you sad and lonely. Life in prison can get prettttty lonely, so it would make more sense to write to them and give them a special occaision.
Quote by shreddin_frets
I would do it. If you were on death row, with no friends and most likely no family, it would be very uplifting to recieve mail from a total stranger who took the time and consideration to do something like that. Hell, maybe you can even meet him (or her o.O) before they inject the needle.

Although I, personally, would write to someone who is in for life, since you wouldnt get connected to the person and then they die, leaving you sad and lonely. Life in prison can get prettttty lonely, so it would make more sense to write to them and give them a special occaision.

aren't we forgetting that this person is....erm....evil? Seriously, you have to do something totally ****ed up to be on death row.

they don't deserve any kindness.
what if it goes to someone like john coffee from the green mile? that would be pretty cool
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
aren't we forgetting that this person is....erm....evil? Seriously, you have to do something totally ****ed up to be on death row.

You don't know that for sure. Some inmates have been proven innocent AFTER they were executed. And everyone deserves kindness, even people like you.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by HeavenlyVirus

Dat is what i'm talkin' 'bout
Quote by kikaykitko
You don't know that for sure. Some inmates have been proven innocent AFTER they were executed. And everyone deserves kindness, even people like you.

Dat is what i'm talkin' 'bout
Quote by kikaykitko

this inmate is living his last days on earth in a prison. while you are wondering whether or not to send off the letter, he is contemplating what dying is going to be like.

i suppose the inmate may appreciate some correspondence, especially if he has no family or friends. i dont really know what i would say, though - youll have to figure that one out yourself.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by kikaykitko

Dat is what i is not talkin' 'bout
Quote by kikaykitko

Why would you wish to write to or associate with the scum of the Earth? How about we send care packages to rapists?
Last edited by rock_and_blues at Jul 3, 2008,
Page 1 of 3