I'm about to ship a bass, the buyer asked me to loosen the strings before packing it, why is this? And also, any important tips to shipping such a fine instrument?
you loosen the strings so the neck won't warp or crack during shipping.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Should I only loosen them slightly to detune or totally so they flop around
yo dude, you paid for those strings. Keep them and make him buy his own strings
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by d K A p S
Should I only loosen them slightly to detune or totally so they flop around

loosen them to just about right before they get floppy. you don't want a lot of tension on the neck when shipping.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
yo dude, you paid for those strings. Keep them and make him buy his own strings

I hope someone ships you a bass with no string on, how would you feel then? You would be cursing all around, wouldn't you??
This does nothing. It is an urban legend. Do it anyway, so he doesn't get mad at you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
a bass should be shipped in a hard shell case. it's no guarantee against damage, but it'll help. the one time i had a bass shipped to me, it was in a gig bag that was packed in a guitar/bass shipping box, and that was packed in another box, full of cushion. it was fine. if the buyer wants the strings loose, no prob.
good luck.
Quote by the humanity
This does nothing. It is an urban legend. Do it anyway, so he doesn't get mad at you.
Exactly this.
Also, if it's a bolt-on you could take the neck off.

It would reduce the chance of a broken headstock.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Loosening strings on a wood instrument is only important for hollow body instruments with thin wood. I've seen acoustic guitars damaged b/c of climate change in shipping and the strings pulled the bridge up, but for a solid body bass, it'll do nothing.
Tuned-to-pitch tension can cause some scariness on the headstock joint if the headstock is angled and has no volute. The headstock can snap right off (Gibson instruments are NOTORIOUS for this). However, put a "this side up" notification pointing to the top of the headstock, so the bass stands on it's bottom strap button as it's being shipped. That way, nothing will for sure happen.

Dan Erlewine suggests that you actually draw a glass breaking and write fragile by hand - it shows you've put time and effort into the packing. I've done this and never had a problem, even on laughably sub par packing jobs (on which I've gotten good feedback complimenting me on ).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..