hey, my friend and i determined that this is an early 70's sg 200. anyone know anything about them? it's in good condition. i believe its worth around 1500. what do you guys think?

heres the link to the pics i took of it, tell me if the link doesn't work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28241753@N02/
Try getting in contact with Gibson; if you email them with the serial number they should be able to give you all the specs and the year it was made etc...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
WOW! i have never seen an SG like that!

It looks like it has a telecaster type control panel on it.

I dont know the exact amount of money, but its definately worth alot.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
yea thanks for the input. the serial # is 616797 incase you guys were wondering.
That thing is in GREAT shape! And yeah, you're right, it's an SG200. One of my two favorite SG models (one step below the SG-Z).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
from an online serial number searcher, that guitar is from 1963
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
im not feeling the pickguard, but everything else is yum
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I hope you aren't thinking about selling it - I would keep it and treat it like new.

go to everythingsg.com and they will be able to tell you more about your guitar.
SRV R.I.P.
definately an early '70s model, nowhere near a '63. Gibson pissed about with the serial number system during that period though, making the online serial checkers a bit off sometimes.

if you don't know it already, for info on SGs, then http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/ is the place to go. very knowledgeable, and very helpful.

[edit]oops, beaten to the link there! i need to learn to read, it seems
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
my dad can beat up your dad!

jk
>_>
<_<

Tis a nice piece of wood. Congratulate your dad on being awesome.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Austin_Scharosc

+999999999999999!

lucky
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Checking out your dad's vintage WOAH that's a wierd SG. Never seen one with a bridge, pickguard, headstock and control plate like that before...

That is odd. But very nice.

According to everythingsg.com, the SG 200 was just like this, but it had 2 single coils. Maybe this one is modded?
http://www.everythingsg.com/identify/sg_200.htm
Last edited by sashki at Jul 3, 2008,
I went to everythingsg and there's no match. The pups are different from the 200 and 250.

He's got humbuckers on his!

May be custom ordered and no way it's worth 1500. Has to be way more than that.

Hang on to that guitar son til you know more about it.
SG's are naturally made out of win.

But that? That is made out of such immense win I dare not look at it for more than 5 seconds at a time.
It's definately after 69, the neck joint is too big, 60's SG's don't have the body come out that far. 60's Gibson's don't have Made In USA on the back of the headstock. Looks like some sort of Special with dot inlays?

Regards
Delboy
Oh, niiice. I wish my dad played guitar instead of fished...I mean, I have some nice vintage fishing rods now, but I'm not a fisherman. Well, I'll fish, but not like he did. And fishing rods aren't exactly collectors type items.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
yea i'll have to look into the pickups..beats me. my friend says that he looked into it and the 200's came with single coils, p90's or humbuckers...i don't know what to believe but from my search, i couldn't find any sg 200's with humbuckers either...to answer a different reply's post, i don't think the knobs are custom, he might have had them replaced but i'm not sure. thanks for your interest guys, keep it coming!
Quote by Teh GIR
from an online serial number searcher, that guitar is from 1963

Any chance you could give me the link to the website?
just wait until Sam gets here....

why do i get the **** flamed out of me and this kid doesn't. that's not cool.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
slayer1516 Quote:

Any chance you could give me the link to the website?

Check out the Gibson Web Site

Delboy
Quote by ugmung
just wait until Sam gets here....

why do i get the **** flamed out of me and this kid doesn't. that's not cool.

ahahhahaha funny
Quote by dbl93100
yea thanks for the input. the serial # is 616797 incase you guys were wondering.

I think it's 815797 or 816797
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
my dad says that the pickups are all original, no special orders, that's how it was bought..
if your dad bought it NEW then why doesn't he know what the model is? or did he buy it used?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by dbl93100
my dad says that the pickups are all original, no special orders, that's how it was bought..

All the more reason to hang onto it.
he bought it from a friend...all i know is that there were no special orders, custom shop, pickup swaps, etc. done to it. bought from gibson.
yup i will go to gibson in the next day or 2...i also posted a similar thread about this on http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=17309.0

incase u guys wanna track what others says even further, hah
the serial # is 616797, no doubt. i can read it crystal clear from the headstock.
as some have said, some gibson serial #'s could have been screwy back then.
i'll have to keep looking into this. thanks!
I've had a look on the Gibson site serial numbers and I'm even more confused.
The serial number you have posted isn't there. It does say that they didn't stamp Made in USA on the back of the headstock until the 70's but the number isn't right for the 70's. I think you'll have to consult Gibson on this one.

Delboy
Here's a clip from my Gibsonserials dot pdf file.

From 1970-1975 the method of serializing instruments at Gibson became even more random. All numbers
were impressed into the wood and a six digit number assigned, though no particular order was given and
some instruments had a letter prefix. The orange labels inside hollow bodied instruments was discontinued
in 1970 and were replaced by white and orange rectangle labels on the acoustics, and small black, purple
and white rectangle labels were placed on electric models.

In 1970, the words "MADE IN USA" was impressed into the back of instrument headstocks (though a few
instruments from the 1950s also had MADE IN USA impressed into their headstocks as well).

Year(s) Approximate Series Manufacture
1970, 1971, and 1972 100000s, 600000s, 700000s, 900000s
1973 000001s, 100000s, 200000s, 800000s and a few “A” + 6 digit numbers
1974 and 1975 100000s, 200000s, 300000s, 400000s,500000s, 600000s, 800000s
and a few A-B-C-D-E-F + 6 digit numbers

During the period from 1975-1977 Gibson used a transfer that had eight digit numbers, the first two
indicate the year, 99=1975, 00=1976 and 06=1977, the following six digits are in the 100000 to 200000
range. MADE IN USA were also included on the transfer and some models had LIMITED EDITION also
applied. A few bolt on neck instruments had a date ink stamped on the heel area.
In 1977, Gibson first introduced the serialization method that is in practice today. This updated system
utilizes an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both serializing and dating functions. The
pattern is as follows:

YDDDYPPP
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.
The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo
numbers were discontinued in 1984.

EDIT: according to this your guitar is made in 74-75
Last edited by PanHead at Jul 4, 2008,
thanks for all your help guys, yes the serial #'s can be pretty messed up and confusing. i'll email gibson in the next day or two anyhow and see what they have to say.