Why do people use distortion/overdrive pedals when they already have good valve amps with decent gain? Just out of curiosity.

I'd like to get an overdrive pedal because my SS amp has crappy gain and it's not beefy enough. An Ibanez Tube Screamer looks pretty good to me.
To make it sounds even better.

For boosts between medium gain and high gain.

For a lot of things really.

An overdrive pedal on an SS amp wont sound very good at all.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
yes, but some songs switch between clean and distortion parts and it would be a pain in teh ass to change channel on your amp, so you use the pedal instead.

also, as you said, if you amp has crappy distortion you could get moar out of a pedal.
ceci n'est pas un guitariste.
Hit up the Search button this was just answered twice i think in the last two weeks...

And its used for lead boost, tighten existing gain, amp doesnt have enough gain or maybe the person just likes SS sounding distortion.

Also most SS amps dont like a high input level and it might throw them into there clipping stage alot earlier. It doesnt sound half bad on my Randall but its a Randall lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 3, 2008,
not trying to hijack this thread here but is there ne od/distortion pedal that works well with ss amps?
1) Distortion =/= overdrive

2) Different tones than the amp can get

3) More gain than the amp can get

4) Channel switching ease

5) Distortion at lower volumes

6) May have a really clean amp

Quote by prsrulz91
not trying to hijack this thread here but is there ne od/distortion pedal that works well with ss amps?

Not really a hijack since he wants to know the same thing.

Well, distortion and overdrive are very different. So it depends what you want. What sound are you going for?
i dont really care
ive just never heard anyone tell me that an od or distortion pedal works well on an ss amp
so i figure id ask if there is one
however, my needs would prolly b to get more of a crunch sound
so, ne pedal work for a ss or not?
Yea im thinking the same thing. Would it be a good idea to buy a distortion pedal to a ss amp? i dont like the eq of my modeller and i want to get some different distortion tones.
Quote by prsrulz91
i dont really care
ive just never heard anyone tell me that an od or distortion pedal works well on an ss amp
so i figure id ask if there is one
however, my needs would prolly b to get more of a crunch sound
so, ne pedal work for a ss or not?

Well, you can't not really care since they will get completely different sounds.
Quote by TheProducer
Well, you can't not really care since they will get completely different sounds.

well its not that i dont care totally
i dont actually need a pedal im just asking out of curiostiy's sake if there is any od or distortion pedal that works well with an ss cuz there dosent seem to be one
if there r ones that work well then ill start caring and figuring out wat i want out of a pedal but if there arent ne that work then theres no point in caring
for god's sake learn to type in English.

If you try to run ANY gain boosting pedal on the distorted channel it'll sound crap, it'll be really noisy and you'll get uncontrollable feedback.

What you want is an EQ pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by prsrulz91

Test a Boss FDR-1.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Because some amps are really loud, and cranking it would kill you, lack of a ,master volume knob, e.g. Fender Blackface model amps.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."