Hey, looking to get an Ibanez second hand, but wondered if there's any way to tell if it's a fake, as a few people told me it is.

Many thanks. Louis
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Last edited by superslash1994 at Jul 3, 2008,
There are plenty of ways; it just depends on the model.

Generally look at the shape of the plastic covers, the logo, the hardware, etc.

In other words, compare the one you're looking at to the original on www.ibanez.com.

If you're not certain you can post pics here.

Also, consider that the best fakes are usually of the higher end models; for some reason a few people on here have posted the same picture of a fake JEM thinking it's real. Copies of lower end models on the other hand are usually terrible and easy to spot.

Allow me to give you an example:

The top one is a fake; the last frets aren't scalloped, the trem is wrong, the screws aren't all gold, the scratch plate looks a bit odd, the inlay is different, the strap buttons aren't correct, the truss rod cover is wrong, it doesn't have a string retainer bar at the headstock, etc.

All these things are relatively easy to spot when compared to a real one, like the 7V in the bottom picture.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 3, 2008,
cheers, I'll get a look now

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by MetalIsBrootalz
pics!!!!

He didn't buy one...he just wants to know what to avoid.
If you decide to go on eBay, ask for good pictures of the headstock and logo... if there aren't any already, and compare THOSE to the originals' ones. That usually helps alot. And if he makes some lame excuse like his camera broke or something, just stay away.
O O

___
I used to think that this forum was full of 14yo with the same crappy questions like "need new amp, i got $4 dollars from selling lemonade, any suggestions?" and the b.c.rich, dean bashing.

This thread has slightly restored my faith in humanity.

sorry for being off topic.

BTW great post Bonsaischaap.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by TheBax
If you decide to go on eBay, ask for good pictures of the headstock and logo... if there aren't any already, and compare THOSE to the originals' ones. That usually helps alot. And if he makes some lame excuse like his camera broke or something, just stay away.

+1

Also, get some pics of the serial number so you can check it.
Quote by jigy-i-joe
I used to think that this forum was full of 14yo with the same crappy questions like "need new amp, i got $4 dollars from selling lemonade, any suggestions?" and the b.c.rich, dean bashing.

This thread has slightly restored my faith in humanity.

sorry for being off topic.

BTW great post Bonsaischaap.

(as for the EG forum being full of idiots, it's not too bad; sure, they're here, but there are a lot of nice, knowledgeable people, too)

Quote by TheProducer
+1

The serial isn't that important. Especially with lower end instruments they're incredibly easy to fake.

It takes about two minutes of research to find out what it should be.

For example if I want to pass something of as a Japanese 2004 RG, I can just make up my own serial number; F for Fujigen, 04 for 2004 and five random digits. So my fake RG would have the serial number F0430056.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 3, 2008,
I think the best thing you can do is buy from a reputable seller, especially if buying on ebay. Ask the seller questions, take note of their grammar, ask how long they have owned the guitar, more pictures, etc. Look at feedback and seller location as well. If you are buying used in person, assess the seller and how reputable they seem, and examine the guitar closely. If you really suspect the person is trying to sell you a fake, bring some pictures of the guitar from Ibanez and compare.
Quote by Bonsaischaap

(as for the EG forum being full of idiots, it's not too bad; sure, they're here, but there are a lot of nice, knowledgeable people, too)

The serial isn't that important. Especially with lower end instruments they're incredibly easy to fake.

It takes about two minutes of research to find out what it should be.

It also takes 2 minutes for someone to figure what color the screws should be. They aren't that smooth. You can also discern certain things from where/how it's stamped.
Quote by TheProducer
It also takes 2 minutes for someone to figure what color the screws should be. They aren't that smooth. You can also discern certain things from where/how it's stamped.

Yup, they're not that good.

On the other hand, the serial number only matters when someone is considering buying it; most people will realize they've been scammed when the instrument actually arrives (if it arrives at all, that is). So it's only relevant during the period when they are trying to find out if it's real or not.
Quote by TheProducer
+1

i new i was forgetting something, haha... ^ +1
O O

___
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yup, they're not that good.

On the other hand, the serial number only matters when someone is considering buying it; most people will realize they've been scammed when the instrument actually arrives (if it arrives at all, that is). So it's only relevant during the period when they are trying to find out if it's real or not.

I thought that was the period we were talking about...
F0601888 I think the S/n is. Looks okay, the knobs are gold barrel type tho, but asked the seller and he said he got those himself.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by superslash1994
F0601888 I think the S/n is. Looks okay, the knobs are gold barrel type tho, but asked the seller and he said he got those himself.

IMHO the only ones you really have to worry about are JEM's.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Hmm.. It looks ok to me, I think I'll go for it. I'll post updates when I can. Thanks again guys, really informative!

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by Bonsaischaap
From that link, this is my favorite:

I wonder who was dumb enough to fall for that one...

not funny man...not funny

Quote by kool98769
IMHO the only ones you really have to worry about are JEM's.

they are usually pretty obvious though, the price tag helps with that.