Page 1 of 2
So the name says it all, ive always wanted an explorer type guitar, because the shape calls to me so much, i've seen a number of brands around, gibson/ epiphone/ hamer/ slammer/ ltd etc..........so does anyone know of any decent priced explorer (knockoff or not) that is worth the money, and that wont die on me quickly, like i'll change the pups if they're crap, but i usually leave the stock ones in for a while, unless they're complete crap then i'll change them right away. I've really been gasing for an explorer recently. BTW i live in canada, so any suggestions?

also, if theres a thread like this, then my bad, searchbar me, cause i didnt bother using it this time, too lazy for it.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Define "decent price", we need a budget.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The LTD explorers are sexy as all hell. I've never played one nor have I really read anything about them, but the spalted maple on an explorer body just gives me a boner. I really wish our local GC stocked ESP guitars...I've always wanted to try one.
epiphone prophocies futura
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
also look at a jackson kelly. its all curvy and stuff.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
also look at a jackson kelly. its all curvy and stuff.

lol, jeez I'm pretty sure you can cleave someone in half with that guitar.
The Explorer is one of those guitars that if I was in a position to "collect" guitars, I'd pick up. Never been a V fan but I do like the Explorer. Maybe because one of my earliest influences/driving forces to start playing was Hetfield.

That being said...when did Hetfield/Hammet switch to ESP? Was it around ...And Justice? Maybe we can blame their woes on ESP. Just kidding...sorta. Heh. I'd probably want to get a Gibby, or a higher end Epiphone Explorer. I don't need it to look brutal (soory, Br00tulz, or whatever), I just like the shape. An original or classic look would be fine by me.

Now that I've talked about my own desires for two paragraphs, I have to reiterate what was already put forth: What's your budget man?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I would pick up a nice Ltd Lawsuit Exp-*** Sweet sweet guitars. Im looking for one but most people wont ship to Ireland.

Basicly the same as hetfields Esp's. and you can get them from $500 - $800 with emg's most cases.

Or get an Edwards Ex-125e
Quote by BaffAttack
The Explorer is one of those guitars that if I was in a position to "collect" guitars, I'd pick up. Never been a V fan but I do like the Explorer. Maybe because one of my earliest influences/driving forces to start playing was Hetfield.

That being said...when did Hetfield/Hammet switch to ESP? Was it around ...And Justice? Maybe we can blame their woes on ESP. Just kidding...sorta. Heh. I'd probably want to get a Gibby, or a higher end Epiphone Explorer. I don't need it to look brutal (soory, Br00tulz, or whatever), I just like the shape. An original or classic look would be fine by me.

Now that I've talked about my own desires for two paragraphs, I have to reiterate what was already put forth: What's your budget man?

Their last show in Germany, they both played a lot of Gibsons ... Explorers and LPs, which was interesting.
Quote by Ippon
Their last show in Germany, they both played a lot of Gibsons ... Explorers and LPs, which was interesting.

Seriously? That is interesting...

Maybe their endorsement contract with ESP is up or something. ESP can still sell sig models, but they don't have to play them so much or something. Or maybe it was because they were in Germany...who knows. But yeah, that IS interesting.

Thinking about it, I know one day I want to try my hand at building a guitar from parts (like Warmoth stuff), maybe I'll build an Explorer...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Seriously? That is interesting...

Maybe their endorsement contract with ESP is up or something. ESP can still sell sig models, but they don't have to play them so much or something. Or maybe it was because they were in Germany...who knows. But yeah, that IS interesting.

Thinking about it, I know one day I want to try my hand at building a guitar from parts (like Warmoth stuff), maybe I'll build an Explorer...

traditional explorers are set necks, not bolt on.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
traditional explorers are set necks, not bolt on.

Well, yeah. I meant the look overall. Obviously I'd be sacrificing a set neck if I decided to build one myself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by guitarnoize

Beatiful guitars, but I wish there was something in between there sub $500 models and the over $3000 US models. Kind of ridiculous.

Also I was wondering, does anyone own a Gibson Explorer Pro or had a good sit down with one? They recently caught my eye and I've been curious about their quality.
I'm trying to get rid of mine... I don't play it much.
It's an Epi with Blackouts.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
my bad for not posting earlier, im looking like around a 500 dollar budget, but yeah, i want like a guitar that i can upgrade and ****, like a guitar that wouldnt be crap, isnt very expensive, but something that wont fall apart on me, sorta like my guitar i can shape my way.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.

jackson kelly....schwiiingg
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Metallica started using ESP in 1991, there still with them but occasionally use gibby les pauls, they also record alot of cleans with tele's, but anyway id go for a nice esp ex u can get one for 600 stocked with emgs
Quote by rrhoads47
Metallica started using ESP in 1991, there still with them but occasionally use gibby les pauls, they also record alot of cleans with tele's, but anyway id go for a nice esp ex u can get one for 600 stocked with emgs

Ah ha! Right before TBA. If we want, we CAN blame their woes on ESP.

*I'm kidding. I think the biggest contributing factor to Metallica's changes, besides them getting older, was Cliff Burton dying. I truly think he was probably the one person who could balance James and Lars. Kirk's kinda like a bystander most times, and Newstead was always treated like a bitch from day one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mig-29

jackson kelly....schwiiingg

these kelly's looking sweet, how much do these run for? I saw an add for one on craigslist for 140 in red.

EDIT: I've also seen 180 for a slammer, but i've never tried any of these, are they crap or what?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Last edited by this&that at Jul 3, 2008,
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Kellys, new, run anywhere from 700 to 1500 from what I've seen.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you were to get a Kelly, go for the KE3 or higher. They run $700-$1000 depending on the finish. But if you just want the traditional shape, just go for the Epiphone. its not THAT bad.

btw, Metallica started using ESPs in the late 80's right before they started the AJFA tour. around 1987 i believe.
Quote by mrvile
Your second link is a Dean Playmate.

yeah i just checked those links, and was all like ???
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by steel337

btw, Metallica started using ESPs in the late 80's right before they started the AJFA tour. around 1987 i believe.

...was that around the time that a bunch of their gear was stolen, including Hetfields favorite Gibby Explorer? That would seem to make sense.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
if i can get a slammer standard for 100 should i get it, or should i not bother with it at all and save up for a better one?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by BaffAttack
Ah ha! Right before TBA. If we want, we CAN blame their woes on ESP.

*I'm kidding. I think the biggest contributing factor to Metallica's changes, besides them getting older, was Cliff Burton dying. I truly think he was probably the one person who could balance James and Lars. Kirk's kinda like a bystander most times, and Newstead was always treated like a bitch from day one.

Or maybe, musical evolution?
Quote by slayer1516
Or maybe, musical evolution?

To a point, I'd agree with you (which is part of when I mentioned them getting older). But there are some things that went down while albums were in production that I don't think would have flown had Burton been around, ya know? For instance...I seriously doubt that the drums would have sounded so...sterile (for lack of a better term since I'm pretty tired right now) had Burton been there.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by mrvile
Your second link is a Dean Playmate.

Hmm..
They all check out on my computer
Here's the link to one on NealsMusic.com
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by this&that
these kelly's looking sweet, how much do these run for? I saw an add for one on craigslist for 140 in red.

EDIT: I've also seen 180 for a slammer, but i've never tried any of these, are they crap or what?

Slammers their most basic guitar. Not even worth 100 used.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Craig's list can be a great source for finding cheap gear...

...And finding gear extremely overpriced. In my area, though, it seems that the uninformed go lower rather than higher. I saw Dual Rectifiers going for $600 on my local CL. What do you guys think of the Faded Explorers? I was thinking of buying one.
Quote by rrhoads47

No I belive, from videos I've seen, that Hetfield had his ESP explorer during the Master of Puppets tour. Another point of interst maybe?, in guitar world issue it explains when Hammett got into ESP's when hearing about them from Scott Ian. It's the one where they do a huge article on three of ESP artist signature Lynch, Laiho, and Hammett and how they're made plus a history.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Page 1 of 2