ok here's the deal, for college, i am required to take 2 years of a foreign language. i first want to say that i have never really enjoyed learning new languages (i took spanish in middle school and french in high school) so when it came time to picking my classes, i thought learning latin would be kind of cool, but now i've come to realize maybe not. the grammar seems really, REALLY confusing to me and i'm not sure if will be able to grasp it.

so basically, should i take latin? i am in the beginning class so it's not like i'm in some advanced class or anything, but i'm not too sure if i can handle it. should i just take french?

maybe i'm just freaking out because well, i'm kind of freaking out about college in general, and maybe once i get a teacher and text book, it'll become alright, but right now, everything i've seen about latin and the latin grammar (the stuff i've looked up on my own) is just confusing as hell.

anyone have advice?
I had to take latin in 6th grade, its extremely easy considering we use latin everyday. example:Ruby= Red, see how easy it is? it just takes time but it mostly comes naturally.
Hope this helps.
Latin or french...... hah.. guess you'll have more use of french. isnt latin only good for doctors and people that are about to learn/study new languages?.. goodluck anyhow..
the grammar is actually very easy once you get the hang of noun declensions, Latin isn't particularly useful unless you are going into archaeology or medicine but it is a cool language to learn, and being able to read some of the ancient Roman classics in their native language is also a nice plus.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
What are your other options? Just French or Latin? I'd probably go with French so you can speak one pretty well instead of three badly? Plus Latin is pretty useless for the majority of people.
Quote by bequickorbedead
What are your other options? Couldn't you do another 2 years of French or Spanish so you can speak one pretty well instead of three badly? Plus Latin is pretty useless for the majority of people.

i don't really want to do french or spanish because well, i didn't really enjoy them, but i am fairly interested in latin.

i'm going to be a legal studies major so i figured since a lot of legal terms are in latin, it would be good to know. (for all you who are wondering why i need it).
Quote by DayTripper1967
i don't really want to do french or spanish because well, i didn't really enjoy them, but i am fairly interested in latin.

i'm going to be a legal studies major so i figured since a lot of legal terms are in latin, it would be good to know. (for all you who are wondering why i need it).

Chances are you won't enjoy Latin any more than French or Spanish.
im doing latin GCSE and i love it, its good cause its not usually just the language, most courses have some history in them too. i highly recommend it
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Latin will help you in learning any other Romantuc language there is (spanish, french, romanian, etc.) if you ever want to in the future. It will also aid you in understanding proper sentence structure, and that can be carried over into other languages and their grammer. Plus there are millions of words in english that their etymology goes back to either latin or greek so knowing one of those languages can increase your verbal comprehension and vocabulary skills.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by bequickorbedead
Chances are you won't enjoy Latin any more than French or Spanish.

well, i'm required 2 years of a language so i'm out of luck either way
Quote by DayTripper1967
well, i'm required 2 years of a language so i'm out of luck either way

I've done 5 years of French and 2 of German
is japanese an option, cuz it is REALLY easy and fun. If thats not an option i would go with latin cuz French and Spanish are for queers,lol.
if you live in the US then go with spanish because it is the one that could be the most helpful.
Quote by ViperScale
if you live in the US then go with spanish because it is the one that could be the most helpful.

not for what i'm doing
I'm taking Latin in 9th grade!
this thread just brought up the issue of grammar, which i'm crap at. I'm still going to take it because grammar varies from language to language anyways.

Plus Latin is a great language for death metal
Well, you already know a bit of french.

But if you liek the sound of latin, go for it. Think about which would be more useful though.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

the only thing i'm really concerned about is the grammar though. that's really the only big drawback to it.
Quote by DayTripper1967
the only thing i'm really concerned about is the grammar though. that's really the only big drawback to it.

It's not that hard. Once u do it for a little while u realize that the nominative/accusative case, declensions, tenses, and all that other crap isn't as hard as it looks.
Quote by Satchafunkilus
I had to take latin in 6th grade, its extremely easy considering we use latin everyday. example:Ruby= Red, see how easy it is? it just takes time but it mostly comes naturally.
Hope this helps.

Latin in 6th grade is going to be a little different from the college level.

I took latin for 4 years in highschool, but i didnt learn anything so i cant really voice a proper opinion on the matter.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Latin is rock and roll. It's my degree!

Do it: it does wonders for you in all kinds of ways. As well as sentence structure and linguistic stuff (like broadened vocabulary) etc., you build logic, the ability to structure a sustained argument, an appreciation of literature, and so many other things.

Really useful for law in particular but it looks great on your CV too.

EDIT: Been doing Latin about 9 years now.
Isn't Latin a dead language? Cause then you wouldn't ever need to use it. If you're gonna learn a language learn one you can use.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Learn Latin.
Go for it. I loved it.

Tip: learn your f00king conjugations. Those really screwed me up in Latin 1.
Do they even teach beginner's language classes in college? I just got out of Latin 1 and I'm going into 2 next semester and I'm only a junior. I would assume you'd have to have some background in it?
I'm taking Latin and Spanish all throughout high school. I just finished my first year of both and I can say that I truly enjoyed Latin.

So, yes. Take it