im saving up for a new primary bass, either a spector legend classic 4 or 5 string. Please dont recommend any other basses ive tried many others and i really like the tone i can get with a spector ( That real deep Heart imploding kind) i also like the feel of it. ANywyas im deciding between a 4 or 5 string as my primary bass. i have a 4 string yamaha, its of decent quality id say gig worthy and then a six string bass which i only use for certain songs but is of professional qualitty. Thanks in advance for any advice
Do you NEED a 5th string for what you do?

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
thats the problem im not sure i mean im going to be in some prog metal/death metal bands and im not sure if im gonna need it i mean i always have my 6 string if i need some low B
I would get the five string myself. Of course, I am a probably not the person to ask, since I am GASing for a 5 string Spector myself right now, and diligently saving those pennies. I agree, the Spector sound does get to one in a significant way.

I just think the 5 string gives you more options musically, esp. if you own a decent 4 string already.
Whenever I go to GC, I always jam on the 5 strings, they're fun but you can always down tune if you need the low B for a metal band.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by anarkee
I would get the five string myself. Of course, I am a probably not the person to ask, since I am GASing for a 5 string Spector myself right now, and diligently saving those pennies. I agree, the Spector sound does get to one in a significant way.

I just think the 5 string gives you more options musically, esp. if you own a decent 4 string already.

Yea i mean ive been listening to some protest the hero and the bass has a great tone in that nice and bassy. yea im htinking of the 5 now just to choose cherry or amberburst DAMNIT SO MANY DECISIONS
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd always choose a 5 string version of a bass than it's 4 string counterpart for one reason (and the only reason, really, as a 5 string is NOT about that "not having to detune" bollocks)- more notes in a hand position.

This

You have a whole other string to expand your playing with. If you're going to be in Prog. or Death Metal bands then that low B will come in handy for reinforcing the low end.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I agree with Delirium, and I'd like to say that the Spector Legend is a brilliant bass. I have a 4 string and the tone is everything I wanted. The neck is pretty thick and it's heavy, but the tone compensated for that.
signature
If the 5 string is comfortable to you, then get it. I personally do not feel good enough with a bass to use a 5 string.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
5 strings aren't for better players at all.

The same thing can't be said for six string players

This may be a bad stereotype, but if a guy is playing a six string bass, I assume he knows his stuff.

For what I play in my band I don't really need the low B, but I can certainly see the use of it.
thanks for all the posts but i mean im still on the edge a lil, i mean i have the 6 string which has the low B so in case i ever need a 5 string i have it. I slightly want a 4 because this is going to be my primary bass and i think for the majority of my songs (80%) ill be using the 4 string. im still thinking though as i dont have all the funds yet.
I think this depends on a few things. I'm a four string kind of guy myself. Maybe just because whenever I've messed around with five strings i never knew anything to play with it to use the fifth string. Even messing around, it just seemed useless to me, no doubt because I am so set in the habits of using a four stringer. Some people also find it uncomfortable, with the wider fretboard and whatnot. I also found slapping a wee bit strange, because of closer string spacing, and that my technique isnt the best, and slapping the E and A with the B above them was awkward for me.
But obviously this isnt a problem for you, as you already own a six string. For that reason alone I'd reccommend the 5 string version. It won't really be a problem for you to adapt or get used to the low B, because you've already been playing a bass with one there. And you'll have more notes in one hand position. This is assuming that you are comfortable with your six string, which I'm assuming you are. If you are, I say go for the 5 string version, because it's win - win for you. However, if you find the six strings uncomfortable in anyway, I'd take another look at the 4 string.
I just bought a Spector Legend 6, and it's a beautiful, fantastic bass. The tone isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I just need to play with it some more. If I were you, I'd go for the five, and if possible, a six. The price difference between the 5 and 6 was negligible for me, so I picked up the 6 for the hell of it.
i say this to to anyone who asks if they SHOULD buy a 7 string guitar.

buy it if you'll use the extra range.. otheriwse just buy thicker strings if you just want to tune lower.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by MustangMan311
I just bought a Spector Legend 6, and it's a beautiful, fantastic bass. The tone isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I just need to play with it some more. If I were you, I'd go for the five, and if possible, a six. The price difference between the 5 and 6 was negligible for me, so I picked up the 6 for the hell of it.

I already got a 6 string, i think im most likely going to be getting the 4 string as i have the 6 string if i ever need some extended range and although im comfortable on the 6 i feel a lot better on a 4 as ive been playing them longer, thanks for all the advice as im still thinking its like an 85% chance im getting the 4 string spector