So I was playing my upright today when I noticed my finger was hurting. I looked down and saw this.

Anyway, Its the Forth of July, and in my town that means the hight of tourist season. Me and my friend were making some serious money playing on the streets. So:

1. Do you think that if I tape my finger up I can still play tomorrow.

2. Is there anything I can do to heal this stupid thing.

3. What can I do to prevent this ever happening again.
drain it (don't break it, use a needle) put some gauze on it, tape it and then superglue latex to the tape, just don't end up gluing the latex or the tape to your finger.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
Wait, so I should play the strings with the latex?

yeah, it sounds better than just tape, which tends to give a sort of muffled sound, esp. if you are playing an upright, also make sure the tape is wound fairly tight or the blister will just get bigger.

Last.fm
That's awful! Uprights use flatwounds right?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
What you COULD do is take a needle and cotton thread, and sew through the blister a little bit- this creates a draining point as well as stops you from removing the blister skin, which can prolong healing. I'd also recommend a moleskin or blister pad if you can find them.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
What you COULD do is take a needle and cotton thread, and sew through the blister a little bit- this creates a draining point as well as stops you from removing the blister skin, which can prolong healing. I'd also recommend a moleskin or blister pad if you can find them.

Yeah I was gonna say moleskin but I've tried that before and doesn't work particularly well when you have to use it for playing because it's too thick and kills your attack.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Yeah I was gonna say moleskin but I've tried that before and doesn't work particularly well when you have to use it for playing because it's too thick and kills your attack.

You shouldn't really be playing with a fresh blister anyway. It can take longer to heal, and you really should cover it if you have to use the affected area. Blisters heal best when the skin is left mostly intact, as it sticks back to the tissue. If you play without that barrier, then it's likely that the blister will get ripped apart and you've got no callous forming, and you've got a nice exposed bit of sensitive flesh for a longer healing time.
Or you can do what my brother did and tough it. Thats really the simpleast option, maybe not the best or the most painfree.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Or you can do what my brother did and tough it. Thats really the simpleast option, maybe not the best or the most painfree.

Probably the worst, as I have recently learnt. Blisters build because the fluid is protecting damaged tissue from increased pressure. Using an unprotected area affected by a blister doesn't help the healing process at all.
Do not play on blisters. Let them heal, protect them. Take it easy a little while.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You shouldn't really be playing with a fresh blister anyway. It can take longer to heal, and you really should cover it if you have to use the affected area. Blisters heal best when the skin is left mostly intact, as it sticks back to the tissue. If you play without that barrier, then it's likely that the blister will get ripped apart and you've got no callous forming, and you've got a nice exposed bit of sensitive flesh for a longer healing time.

well , that's why I told him to use gauze and tape with a latex cover, if you read my first post in the thread you'll see I said the same thing you did only with a different method of covering the blister.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well , that's why I told him to use gauze and tape with a latex cover, if you read my first post in the thread you'll see I said the same thing you did only with a different method of covering the blister.

Totally missed your first post. Sh*t happens.
drain the blister. disinfect it with alcohol. let it dry out. when you need to play,
get a cloth "fingertip" band-aid(elastic bandage), and cover the blister. it'll hurt to play, but it will reduce the damage created by playing on sore fingers. rock-on!
i play on blisters all the time and it hurts, but i play on.