ok so really i cant see the whole deal about deathcore.

we got bands like as blood runs black, that sound like really freaking heavy metalcore

then we got bands like whitechapel, that sound like death metal with breakdowns (at least on the somatic defilement they did, i dont know about their new cd)

then we have winds of plague, which i dont even know how the hell they got into this...

for instance, listen to in dying days (ABRB), articulo mortis (WC), and anthems of the apocalypse (WOP)

how is it that these bands, while sounding so different, can be in the same genre? i mean, really. the only thing they really have in common is that they have breakdowns, and hardcore vocalists. as blood runs black sounds nothing like whitechapel, and winds of plague sound nothing like either of them. so maybe we could take the deathcore bands that sound like really heavy metalcore out of deathcore, and stick them in metalcore instead? it would really help some people in the definition of what deathcore supposedly is, and it would let me know which bands to avoid.

if what im saying sounds like complete trash, ignore it. im not really a deathcore expert.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Jul 3, 2008,
i'll let you answer yourself

how is it that these bands, while sounding so different, can be in the same genre?

the only thing they really have in common is that they have breakdowns, and hardcore vocalists.

believe me, i think the same
Quote by deluxity
i'll let you answer yourself

how is it that these bands, while sounding so different, can be in the same genre?

the only thing they really have in common is that they have breakdowns, and hardcore vocalists.

believe me, i think the same

ok ok, ill give you that one

but take a look at the song recs up there (i just added them in), and really, ask yourself if they should be in the same genre
Arsonist gets the girls...
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
When are people going to realize that genres are created arbitrarily by people, and labels mean nothing? You can't argue about genres because they don't physically exist or have any material properties. It's all in your mind.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Death metal with breakdowns = death metal
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
I see whitechapel as far more of a death metal band than a core band. ABRB and WOP are just terrible metalcore, nothing more, nothing less.
they don't sound different at all.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by mr.joopy987
I see whitechapel as far more of a death metal band than a core band. ABRB and WOP are just terrible metalcore, nothing more, nothing less.

right. so why do people call whitechapel deathcore?

EDIT: oh and yeah my main point on making this thread was to show why i dont think deathcore is an actual genre. because its either death metal with breakdowns or really heavy metalcore.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Jul 3, 2008,
You know, there are bands that are middle of the road.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
once again

death metal that has breakdowns is death metal

breakdowns don't automatically make something a form of hardcore..
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Quote by zayG
once again

The chugs do brah.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Dude, your not going to change anything.
Things are the way they are, period.
What you deem deathcore is left to your discretion.
What everyone else deems deathcore, on this website particularly, is what you have to agree with, or you'll get chewed out.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
if you're going to be starting two new subgenres under deathcore, pls save it.

i consider 99percent of deathcore to be metalcore, and i dont mean it to be a bad way, im not a metal fan let alone an elitist. its just heavier metalcore and blast beats.
Quote by recklessnick
if you're going to be starting two new subgenres under deathcore, pls save it.

i consider 99percent of deathcore to be metalcore, and i dont mean it to be a bad way, im not a metal fan let alone an elitist. its just heavier metalcore and blast beats.

yeah thats what im sayin

so why are all these metalcore bands called deathcore?
Quote by jetfuel495
yeah thats what im sayin

so why are all these metalcore bands called deathcore?

yeah, just have to get over it.
its not so much definitions, but more of a people thing, this "genres" we talk about.
people want as blood runs black and bring me the horizon as deathcore? so be it. i will always refer deathcore to "that new metalcore", and thats my problem, but im sticking to it.
I get what you mean, there's bands that are like a deathcore version of At the Gates (As Blood Runs Black). Then there's bands like Whitechapel and Suicide Silence
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
I just assumed deathcore was deathmetal with breakdowns. And the occassional pig squeal.
CALIBRATE THE VIRUS

lolwut?
Quote by Drewcifer 000
I just assumed deathcore was deathmetal with breakdowns. And the occassional pig squeal.

Death metal with breakdowns are bands like Suffocation and Cryptopsy. With deathcore, it's difficult to explain, there's something missing (or too many other things) that make it fall short of being just "death metal" (I don't mean this in a negative way).

Yes, breakdowns can be used by anyone, but the freuquency they are used in deathcore, and the emphesis that is placed on them (ex - hardcore dancing, bringing the mosh) had gotten to the point of gimmicky. Most deathcore bands like to use a wide variety of vocal stylings, while most death metal bands stick to growl 85% of the time, and high shrieks 15% of the time. There's more differences, but it's just something you become accustomed to after listening for so long.
In a lot of deathcore bands, what really differentiates them from deathmetal is just the vocals. The vocals are a lot more versatile then in DM (not saying they're better), and it's usually in a different style and/or using a different technique.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Deathcore is to Metalcore what Death Metal is to Metal.

Its really not that difficult of a concept guys. They're not the same thing, regardless of how similar you may think they sound. Saying deathcore and metalcore are the same thing is idiotic. "But there's only minor nuances in the style and sound?" Well that's what genres are. Every little change in sound could alter the bands genre.

Death Metal and Deathcore are set apart from their Metal and Metalcore counterparts by their lyrics regarding death, destruction, and existentialist and theistic topics, as well as heavy reliance on blast beats, double bass, and wall of sound percussion and riffing. Guitars are also heavily downtuned.
Quote by Aveks
Deathcore is to Metalcore what Death Metal is to Metal.

Its really not that difficult of a concept guys. They're not the same thing, regardless of how similar you may think they sound. Saying deathcore and metalcore are the same thing is idiotic. "But there's only minor nuances in the style and sound?" Well that's what genres are. Every little change in sound could alter the bands genre.

Death Metal and Deathcore are set apart from their Metal and Metalcore counterparts by their lyrics regarding death, destruction, and existentialist and theistic topics, as well as heavy reliance on blast beats, double bass, and wall of sound percussion and riffing. Guitars are also heavily downtuned.

I think you just made a fact!
CALIBRATE THE VIRUS

lolwut?
Quote by SealCubMassacre
There is one side to deathcore, and that is the lame side.

+1
deathcore gets old so quick. first time i head as blood runs black i was like woah! now im like, wait, which band is this? BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME
Quote by zayG
once again

indeed, there's many different uses for breakdowns, and there some sort of "specific" way to make it more "hardcore"