Page 1 of 3
Just wondering, Im going to be playing in my bedroom, and I play with friends often, but nothing professional.

Is 100-120 watts TOO much? Would I get the same quality out of a 60 watt?
Way, way too loud for your bedroom. You'll be glad you got a less powerful amp when you're able to crank it at lower volumes.
I cant get my 20 watt Krank Rev Jr much further past 1 in my bedroom, so you probably wont get too far with a 100 watt tube amp.
i have a 60 watt 112 tube combo, and its too loud for bedroom volumes without an attenuator

I cant even put it near 8-10 when jamming with friends!!
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
100 is definitely unnecessary.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
My friends 15 watt is too loud for his bedroom
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I've done it before, some dude a block down filed a noise complaint, so yeah that's a bit much unless you also plan on gigging with it and can only have one amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah, it's way too loud, and it would be hard to lug it around when playing with your friends, since it probably weighs a ton (my 18 watt weighs 40 pounds), 60 watt would probably be too loud for bedroom use, depending on how tolerant other people in the house are
yeah man thats insane, 100 watts will rumble your homes foundation! lol im looking into getting the peavey classic 30, you should check that out
So your saying not to get a 120w Peavey XXX, and to get a 60w 5150 Combo basically...
100 watt for bedroom?

A 5watt can push bedroom volume limits!
I gig with a 5watt. Its loud enough to hear over the drummer, and its miced thru the PA so the crowd can hear it good.
Last edited by shmuck71 at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by dlmebag
So your saying not to get a 120w Peavey XXX, and to get a 60w 5150 Combo basically...

Idk about 5150s, but some tube amps sound like crap at low volumes, lucky my Supersonic doesnt, so even a 60 watt 5150 might not be good, unless you want it on 0.5 all the time
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
heck, my 2w micro cube is too loud for my bedroom. It feels like the walls are shaking if I go much over 3-4. Never even dared to crank it yet, which is why I use a headset all the time while playing >.<
Unless you get an attenuator, soundproofing, and earphones you'll literally kill several small animals when it's cranked.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i got a marshall jcm 200 tsl 122 its a 100 watt and yes it is wayyyy to loud to crank up in my room. i usually use the half power switch and it sounds just as good. the sound difference between cranking it and not cranking it with my amp is very small i my opinion.
Quote by shmuck71
100 watt for bedroom?

A 5watt can push bedroom volume limits!
I gig with a 5watt. Loud enough to hear over the drummer and miced thru the PA!

Ok, there is no way thats true, my old 15 watt got completely overpowered by my drummer.
^^^^Yeah, micro cubes are loud, but SS amps do not "need" to be cranked either.

My 6505 120W sounds nice at bedroom levels too, just a little muffled and fizzy. Still nice.
Quote by PsychoKNTX
Ok, there is no way thats true, my old 15 watt got completely overpowered by my drummer.

Un yeah its true. Our drummer does not kill the drums. We value our hearing and don't want to destroy it. Blame it on old age(band age is 35-45). The PA cranks the volume for the venue.
120W is barely louder than 60W, just because it's double the wattage doesn't mean it's twice as loud.

A high gain tube amp does not need to be cranked to get a decent sound out of it and are designed to use mostly preamp gain to achieve this.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
ok half of you guys are bsing. i put my half stack pass 3 with out my thd hotplate and is not THAT loud. it was loud after 4-5 though.
it varies from amp to amp and where you are cranking it. if you crank it outside in an open area it will not be as loud as in a tiny room.
the amp is located it in my study room, sometimes i bring it to the band's studio in the city and drummer's house on couple of occasions, most of the time i don't even use the attenuator. and Im pretty sure 100watt tube is pretty up there in wattage.
Last edited by kckyle at Jul 3, 2008,
If your trying to get power amp saturation yes its too loud hell 5 watts is to loud. But thats only the case if your trying to achieve power amp saturation which im sure he is not because he is a metal head. When playing metal you need the high wattage for over head so the power tubes dont saturate which is why they make amps at 120 watts or as low as 1 watt. It depends on the genre of music you play. Metal is all preamp saturation and no power amp saturation and even dropping it down to 60 from 120 makes a huge difference and not a good one. I've also tested it out on my amp (60 to 120 switch) and multiple other amps. Yes it does depend on the amp as well example Mesa's love to be cranked and like a little power amp saturation but Peaveys are the opposite and hate power amp saturation unless your ted nugent and love you some rock.

Also 50 watts to 100 watts is only 3db louder so even if you keep going lower and lower it doesn't matter a cranked tube amp is still loud as sh!t so yes if your playing rock get the smallest amp you can find.

Heres a quick reference..

Rock and blues- power amp saturation
Metal- preamp saturation and no power amp saturation(unless its a mesa or amp that likes to be cranked a little)

Think of it this way power amp creamy, preamp not creamy.. When was the last time you heard a metalhead say damn man (insert metal band) sounds so creamy when there cranking out there rhythm...

Also this has been done to death and still everyone jumps on the its gotta be cranked bandwagon damn people have ADHD sometimes.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Fatso Forgottso
post edited due to poster being incredibly stupid

-love,
your friendly neighborhood moderator

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Look, I have a 100W tube in my room, it's not as mindblowing as people make it out to be. You can turn it up reasonably loud and still get good tones.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
If your strictly bedroom with no pland of getting out, too much. there are better amps for you.

If your playing out and everything, it'll be fine. I keep mine at like 2/1.5 because it's 85 watts. When I play in a band situation, it goes up.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i dont know how many of these peope actualy play big tube amps every day of their life, but i do, my bassman is 135watts of american tube, just cause it has a huge wattage doesnt mean you cant turn it down. when i practice, my bassmans on 1, i'll admit it doesnt sound as good as it does when it's cranked, but still, even at that volume, it sounds as good as any smaller valve amp i've played, and ss amps dont even go there *cringes*

Look m8, get out, play some amps, find one you fall in love with and gi've your next door neigbours the finger
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
hehe - I cranked up an old 70' Marshall 100-watt Superlead more than a few times back in the day - In a friggin' APARTMENT no less. Cops came everytime. People shouting, children cryin' - dogs howlin' - it was shear HEAVEN... I'll never forget that sound.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Thread-starter, you do realize that wattage has no relation to amp quality at all right? There are plenty of 1 watt amps and 15 watt amps that sound better then alot of 100+watt amps.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
dude that is way too loud. 100 watts tube power is enough to level a small house or cause a woman to miscarriage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5watts from a tube amp is going to be too loud for bedroom practice.

sometimes people need suck it up and get an attenuator.

amps with different wattages have different characteristics other than "more watts for more loudness."

if i wanted the tone from a 2channel triple rectifier (yes, 150watts) i'm not going to settle for the single recto because it's only a 3rd of the watts.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If you turned a 100 wat tube up up to 11 in your room stuff would fall off the dresser.

Nuff said lol
Quote by MatrixClaw
120W is barely louder than 60W, just because it's double the wattage doesn't mean it's twice as loud.

A high gain tube amp does not need to be cranked to get a decent sound out of it and are designed to use mostly preamp gain to achieve this.

my friends fender Twin Reverb blows my 40 watt HRD out of the water when it comes to volume. his amp isnt even on 2.
it depends on the amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Page 1 of 3