Okay I'm new to the whole effects pedal thing and I'm looking to buy my first.

I'd like a distorted sound suited to metal or hard rock. I'm looking for something under £75 (I don't want professional level sound, I've only been playing 2 and a half years)

Any advice is welcome (as long as it comes from personal experience, not what you've heard about a pedal)

tah
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Wow, thanks for the help man, really appreciated. Because when i started this thread I clearly wanted you to pick faults with my equipment? I'm not experienced so I don't need top class distortion, that's why I put this question to this forum.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon

Last edited by 24fretsftw at Jul 3, 2008,
You can try a Line 6 Uber or Boss DS-1. Try testing it at a local store just to see how it sounds through a Spider III, and whether or not you still want to go the pedal route. Digital modeling amps don't take to pedals well. I know because I had a Spider II and tried my old Digitech Grunge through it.

The Spider's Metal Green and Insane Green channels had nice distortion for metal IMO. You should invest in an FBV Express or other channel switcher, and play with your amp's EQ settings a little until you find the sound you want. You should also be able to use the Distortion Boost as well, by holding down the Tap Tempo button and turning the Gain pass 12 o'clock. Just my opinion. A channel switcher is more versatile then a pedal in this instance.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
MXR DD-11, or maybe a new amp, no jp, but seriously, the DD-11 is very nice.
Thanks for the help
I already have the FBV express, and I'll give the distortion boost a go.
Cheers.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon

Hey if you're looking for a more overdriven sound, the Boss FDR-1 can get you there. Give it a try at your local shop. I used to use one on the Twang Green channel, with the amp's gain set to 5, and the pedal's gain set to about 7 or 8. Has a little bark to it too.

I tried the Digi Bad Monkey and the Digi Blues. None came closer to the sound I wanted the the FDR-1.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
How heavy are you looking to go?
The metal muff by EHX is a very good pedal
Okay thanks guys, I think I'm gonna try out the Line 6 Uber, FDR-1 or DS-1.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon

I found out that the line 6 uber metal was actually a good pedal....is it better than the metal muff? cos it was cheaper.
Sansamp GT-2.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by 24fretsftw
Wow, thanks for the help man, really appreciated. Because when i started this thread I clearly wanted you to pick faults with my equipment? I'm not experienced so I don't need top class distortion, that's why I put this question to this forum.

There's no point wasting your money on a distortion pedal, you're not going to get anything appreciably better than the Spider's onboard models. Also a pedal is going to be extrememly limitead as you can only really use it on the clean chanel.

If you don't need top class distortion then the Spider's stock sounds are perfectly good enough. If they aren't then you need a new amp, not a pedal.

People aren't picking faults with your equipment - the Spider's shortcomings are well documented already. All they're doing is trying to advise you on the most cost effective use of your money.

You want a better sound, a pedal won't give you that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's no point wasting your money on a distortion pedal, you're not going to get anything appreciably better than the Spider's onboard models. Also a pedal is going to be extrememly limitead as you can only really use it on the clean chanel.

If you don't need top class distortion then the Spider's stock sounds are perfectly good enough. If they aren't then you need a new amp, not a pedal.

People aren't picking faults with your equipment - the Spider's shortcomings are well documented already. All they're doing is trying to advise you on the most cost effective use of your money.

You want a better sound, a pedal won't give you that.

No I appreciate your reply because there was actually some explanation, whereas the above gave me none. Thanks
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon