I'm trying to write guitar stuff for a project that's going to be hardcore and/or death metal.
Any suggestions to go about this?
what do you mean?

as in, what do you want to know?

if you want to know how to write guitar parts that would be classed as hardcore or death metal the best thing to do is just to listen to lots of it...
My name is Danny. Call me that.
if it is hardcore... nothing can be technical. it must all be palm muted and have really ****ty distortion while some guy yells about his crew.

if it is death metal the faster the better and lots of sweeps! sweeps are metal as f uck
Quote by ACFCPatrick
if it is hardcore... nothing can be technical. it must all be palm muted and have really ****ty distortion while some guy yells about his crew.

if it is death metal the faster the better and lots of sweeps! sweeps are metal as f uck

Some ones head is in their ass.

On topic though, minor 2nds after palm mutes are good, minor 3rds/6ths are good in riffs, breakdowns are liked and used a lot. Tremolo picking verses is used a lot in death metal. And look up some tabs from hardcore/death metal bands you like and borrow ideas.
Quote by Matt Chavie
Some ones head is in their ass.

not really I am in a Progressive death metal band. there are good both hardcore and death metal bands out there. however there are about 1000 times as many ****ty ones that are as generic as the next.