my drummer has just got a YGM-3 Guitar Mate from the 70's and he wants to replace the tubes i have had no experience with replacing tubes so how many would he need and what types of tube?

if there is any more info needed please ask and i will find out asap
Quote by nebiru
Is this your music?

Are you confused? You have like 5 genres mixed into one thing. Who's the dude with the lisp rapping? because I bursted out laughing.
DONT PUT IN NEW TUBES BY YOURSELF WITH NO EXPERIENCE YOU WILL GET SHOCKED!
take it to a pro he'll do it also you need to put the same exact tubes in it but if you change the tubes it has to be re calibrated and that should cost around 200. even if you cut the electricity out you will still get shocked and maybe die trust me, my friend tried and had to go to the hospital and got 2nd degree burns and couldnt play guitar for a while
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
^..Have you ever replaced your own tubes? There really isn't a danger to it. As long as you're not actually fooling around with the circuit board...

You should probably look inside, and see the details. You'll be able to see all the tubes, and they each have model numbers on them.

A quick Google search have also revealed what kind of tubes are in it.

That said, a pair of JJ EL84's would be great for the power amp section, and for the preamp, go with Tung-Sol 12AX7's.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Remsen
take it to a pro he'll do it also you need to put the same exact tubes in it but if you change the tubes it has to be re calibrated and that should cost around 200. even if you cut the electricity out you will still get shocked and maybe die trust me, my friend tried and had to go to the hospital and got 2nd degree burns and couldnt play guitar for a while

First of all, There isnt much danger in replacing tubes AS LONG AS THEY ARENT HOT (which was probably your friends douschebagery).

recalibrated? Rebiasing (which is what i hope you meant) will not cost more than the tubes cost, a good tech wont charge more than 50 bucks to bias the power tubes.

and just to be a prick

Quote by forsaknazrael

That said, a pair of JJ EL84's would be great for the preamp, and go with Tung-Sol 12AX7's.

EL84's for the power amp my friend

(i'm positive you know what your talking about, but being a douschebag can be good fun)
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Remsen

lolwut?
Since when does glass conduct electricity?
You wont get shocked by touching a glass tube.
He wont have to put the same tubes in, just the same type.
And it will probably have to be biased, costing maybe 50 dollars at the max. Your friend is an idiot, and touched a capacitor. That is why he got 2nd degree burns. Thats because capacitors hold charge even after you unplug it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
just use 1 HAND and put the other one in the toaster while doing it - you'll be fine...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!