Will a 5 watt tube head play loud if it gets connected to these ginormous 250w studio speaker cabinets I have in my shed that are probably 20-30 years old? or will it sound like it would if it were attached to a 5 watt cabinet?
It'll still just be a 5w amp so it will be no louder than it would if it was connected to a 5w cab.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
speaks are only as loud as what is being fed into them
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Watts has NOTHING to do with the loudness of the cab, check the effiency of the speakers. Say that the 5W cab has an effieceny of 100dB and the 250W of 103dB, then yes it will be louder. But still, larger cab won't give you THAT much more volume actually.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The watt rating on speakers is how much they can handle, not how much they put out. Your amp is 5 watts, so thats what it will be. The important thing to check is the ohms of the speakers. Make sure the ohms of your amps output match the ohms of the speakers.
Quote by Gabel
Watts has NOTHING to do with the loudness of the cab, check the effiency of the speakers. Say that the 5W cab has an effieceny of 100dB and the 250W of 103dB, then yes it will be louder. But still, larger cab won't give you THAT much more volume actually.

...And a big 'ol +1 .
Thanks guys, one more question though. Is there any way to boost the signal coming from the output of the amp to the input of the cabinet. I don't even know if it is possible.

Also, I don't have a 5 watt tube head, I just found out about these speakers in my shed they're 22 year old JBL's I was just wanting something inexpensive to run through them when I get them setup one of these days.
well the larger cabinet would be pushing more air wouldnt it?
hypothesizing that it is a 4x12.
that would give the impression that it is indeed louder.
Lets see how to boost the output signal going to the speakers, Ill take a wild guess and say an amplifier. But no hooking a 5 watt amp to 250 watt speakers doesnt make it put out 250 watts.