I read the FAQ or whatever it is, it talked about humbuckers and single coils. But my Schecter has a little coil-tap thingy. So can anyone fill me in on the workings of it - it seems simple enough and I just use it based on artists - if I'm playing Hendrix, up comes the tap, etc.
Any hidden secrets?

Also - is there a difference between these pickups - the les paul ones that are like silver plate sort of things,
http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/gibson-les-paul-standard.jpg
and these ones, the ones that look like two single coils stuck to each other.
http://www.gibson.com/press/gear/PICKUPS/Humbucker_db.jpg

Thanks
The lespaul has covers over the pickups, that's all.
The coiltap thing works by splitting the humbucker into 2 single coils, because that's what they are. I think

EDIT: Okay so that's not ALL there is different, but that's why they look different.
Quote by Aleene
The lespaul has covers over the pickups, that's all.
The coiltap thing works by splitting the humbucker into 2 single coils, because that's what they are. I think

EDIT: Okay so that's not ALL there is different, but that's why they look different.

Not exactly. Coil tap doesn't actually split the pickup, it just lowers the output. A coil split, on the other hand, actually splits the coils. Although neither IMO get a true single coil sound, unless you're using something like a dual lace sensor.

EDIT: And the pickup covers are mostly cosmetic, but I guess they color the tone a bit depending on what metal they're made of.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
haha, yeah my catalog says coil tap on my pt fastback.

honestly tho, it sounds pretty good. better than i've heard from other stock splits.
it's a very versatile guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
by the way schecter just updated this thread with an email....

Coil-split is correct. We call this method Coil-Tap.

Thanks,
Colin Alflen
Assistant Production Manager

haha, nice. and i call epis, gibsons. doesnt make that true either.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011