Page 1 of 2
John Lennon fans out there?

This is clearly a thread about john lennon.
Whats your favorite album song and all of that stuff?
Last edited by deathbybunnies4 at Jul 3, 2008,
I love his cover of Angel Baby.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
IMO he's the real talent from the Beatles, no other band member was as great a songwriter as he was.
I like his collaboration with Elton John called "Whatever gets you through the night"

2 great artists collaborating = great song
I like mind games, great lyrics.
Too bad he didn't get along with Paul in the end they were a great team.
forever 27
Quote by ubtguitarist
IMO he's the real talent from the Beatles, no other band member was as great a songwriter as he was.

Lennon's head was stuck so far up his ass that he was choking on his own bullshit by the time anyone had the good decency to litter his body with fragments of lead.
Quote by Maet
Lennon's head was stuck so far up his ass that he was choking on his own bullshit by the time anyone had the good decency to litter his body with fragments of lead.

God I'm going to hell for finding that funny but I can't help it.

Anyway, Lennon is good his work in the Beatles is not as good as his solo stuff in my opinion. Well, I don't know...they are a bit like apples and oranges so who knows. His stuff can be a bit preachy at times for my taste though, but stuff like Cold Turkey and his stuff with the Plastic Ono band at Toronto are great.
Quote by ubtguitarist

I disagree with you. I believe George was a better songwriter. However, this is not the time to argue such matters; I simply wanted to state my opinion (and of course, respect yours ).

John's post-Beatles career has its ups and downs. I basically enjoy everything he released except the songs on which Yoko sang. Her voice is very harsh.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I disagree with you. I believe George was a better songwriter. However, this is not the time to argue such matters; I simply wanted to state my opinion (and of course, respect yours ).

From a compositional standpoint, I would agree. Harrison's songs were much more complex harmonically than John's. However, I don't know about the lyrical side. I will admit "Something" is downright tear jerking, but Lennon could consistently write a great song, where it seems like George has a few highlights and then some "filler".

I'm probably going to get flamed by the George fans for that.
Quote by rock_and_blues
From a compositional standpoint, I would agree. Harrison's songs were much more complex harmonically than John's. However, I don't know about the lyrical side. I will admit "Something" is downright tear jerking, but Lennon could consistently write a great song, where it seems like George has a few highlights and then some "filler".

I'm probably going to get flamed by the George fans for that.

I'm not gonna flame you, but I think the problem is George didn't have enough songs. With only one or two per album, he couldn't put out nearly the amount of songs John could with the Beatles, and as a result, John had more good songs. However, when it comes to percent, I'd be willing to bet John had much more "filler". What else could you call Revolution 9?
Quote by LordBaxtus
However, when it comes to percent, I'd be willing to bet John had much more "filler". What else could you call Revolution 9?

Haha. I could think of a few things to call it, but I will refrain.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by LordBaxtus
. What else could you call Revolution 9?

I love Revolution 9, I enjoy avant garde and musique concrete, so it was really surprising, refreshing, and nice to hear it on a Beatles album. Also, we are talking from a lyrical standpoint, and Revolution 9 is an instrumental, so how is it relevant to the question at hand?
Lennon's the reason I started writing music. It's a shame he died the way he did. Could've brought so many good things to the world. Has anyone read his book "In His Own Write?"
Quote by Taxi_06
Lennon's the reason I started writing music. It's a shame he died the way he did. Could've brought so many good things to the world. Has anyone read his book "In His Own Write?"

God I could not stand "In His Own Write", it was a waste of the 99 cents I spent for at the thrift store. Lennon should have stuck to lyric writing, because I just could not get into that book.
Quote by LordBaxtus
I'm not gonna flame you, but I think the problem is George didn't have enough songs. With only one or two per album, he couldn't put out nearly the amount of songs John could with the Beatles, and as a result, John had more good songs. However, when it comes to percent, I'd be willing to bet John had much more "filler". What else could you call Revolution 9?

Well, I though that everything George wrote was a masterpiece, despite how (with The Beatles) little of his material appeared on their albums. He was much more consistent than Lennon, who, despite how many great songs he did write, did also write a lot of filler or mediocre songs.

If you've ever listened to any of George's post-Beatles albums you'll be able to hear the music of a genius who was suppressed under the fame and egos of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

John's post-Beatles career has its ups and downs. I basically enjoy everything he released except the songs on which Yoko sang. Her voice is very harsh.

I like John/Paul's songs, but George's ALWAYS blow me away. Something, While my guitar.., it all comes straight from his emotions!! (Didn't mean to turn it into a George nuthugging post :P)
Hey, hey, let's not forget Ringo hear. Octopus's Garden is a masterpiece. That makes, what, 50% of his songs good?
I love John Lennon. He's my favorite Beatle and he's got some great stuff with both The Beatles and solo.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by LordBaxtus
Hey, hey, let's not forget Ringo hear. Octopus's Garden is a masterpiece. That makes, what, 50% of his songs good?

I think that everything Ringo did with The Beatles was good, despite being very little. His solo career provided some more good songs, but his albums were definitely the weakest of all The Beatles members after The Beatles disbanded.
My son showed me a video on YouTube the other day called "I Met The Walrus". It's about a guy that did an interview with Lennon in Toronto during his "white suit for peace" phase. I recommend checking it out here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jmR0V6s3NKk
The visuals are quite Yellow Submarine-ish.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I don't know a lot of John's solo songs, but I know a ton when he was in the Beatles.
Anyways we had to read a book on a famous person and dress up like them and pretend we were them and basically go in front of the class and tell about their life (but we talked in first person) and I was John Lennon. Man I was good too but my knees were trembleing.lol
Yea I got made fun of but I think he was the coolest dude ever!
"I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.."

RIP Jimmy Sullivan<3
Quote by Sloopy
My son showed me a video on YouTube the other day called "I Met The Walrus". It's about a guy that did an interview with Lennon in Toronto during his "white suit for peace" phase. I recommend checking it out here:

What an experience that must have been. At only fourteen-years-old, too!
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
What an experience that must have been. At only fourteen-years-old, too!

I know eh! I wish I could have gone, I would have been about 13ish.

Quote by Kartman

i like john lennon. his career as a solo artists is antirely different form his work with the bealtes so i'm not even going to compare. . . . lennon was up and down though. . . double fantasy blew!!

favourites are: sometime in new york, plastic ono band, and wedding album. also, by the way yoko ono's album "plastic ono band" is amazing! most of her work is though. . . .

from time to time i think lennon was the politician, ono the artist. . . . (i'll get in **** for that)
Quote by Sloopy

The video was actually nominated for Best Short Animated Feature at the Academy Awards last year. It's a shame it didnt win because it really is a cool film, I enjoyed it alot.
John Lennon is the Reason i play, listen, write, or do anything with music. He was in my opinion the greatest songwriter of the 20th century. I worship the man, and love everything by him. Steel and Glass, How Do you Sleep, What you got, they're all great songs It was a sad day for music, and for the world when he was taken.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Well, I though that everything George wrote was a masterpiece, despite how (with The Beatles) little of his material appeared on their albums. He was much more consistent than Lennon, who, despite how many great songs he did write, did also write a lot of filler or mediocre songs.

If you've ever listened to any of George's post-Beatles albums you'll be able to hear the music of a genius who was suppressed under the fame and egos of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

It's a lot easier to be consistent when from 65 and on (including Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, MMT, White, Abbey Road, Let it Be, and all the singles in between) you only write 19 songs good enough to be released compared to Lennon's 43 - not to mention the fact that lennon carried them prior to '65 while George wrote a whopping 2 songs.

I'd also have trouble labeling songs like I Need You, Blue Jay Way, If I Needed Someone, I Want To Tell You, and Piggies "masterpieces". Good songs, but no greater than your average Lennon.

In my opinion McCartney is better than both. He wrote half of Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour, Hey Jude, and Let it Be. But thats for another thread.
Last edited by Griffin* at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by Taxi_06

is that like Skywriting By Word Of Mouth? because i read that book and found the style quite interesting.

i think Plastic Ono Band is a horribly underrated album. Especially when compared to Imagine. Anybody else really like Hold On. it's such a short and barely ever mentioned song but it's one of my favorites.
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Quote by metallicaPOOS
The video was actually nominated for Best Short Animated Feature at the Academy Awards last year. It's a shame it didnt win because it really is a cool film, I enjoyed it alot.

Yeah eh? It reminded me a bit of Yellow Submarine.

Quote by Kartman

Love Lennon, though, I think that his ability came at it's greatest height when coupled with that of Paul McCartney. Even if most will agree that they more or less wrote their own songs during the latter part of the Beatles' carreer, I think that the songs on which they did collaborate (A Day In The Life, Happiness Is A Warm Gun...) are the ones that are most memorable. It seems that John Lennons experimentalism can get a little too strung-out (Revolution 9...), and that his work gets much better when put together with McCartneys more easily accessable songwriting style. Not to say that Lennons solo work wasn't awesome, though, love songs like Imagine, Instant Karma and Working Class Hero. His lyrical ability was one thing that definately only got better when he went solo, though, that might have something to do with the change of lyrical focus...
Lennon was just a whiner. Look how tought it was for me! I was millionaire by 23!

weren't my chartoon characters brilliant?
Quote by Rx40user
Lennon was just a whiner. Look how tought it was for me! I was millionaire by 23!

weren't my chartoon characters brilliant?

A lot more brilliant than your spelling.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I liked Lennon in the Beatles, but after his first 2 solo albums, the Yoko influence started taking over...

Still, McCartney was a much more consistent artist throughout his solo career, and he wrote a number of amazing songs while in the Beatles
Page 1 of 2