So I'm looking to buy a new guitar tuner. Right now I have a Korg something or other, it was like $15 online. The problem is that it has no outputs. What I'm looking for is a tuner that I can route my guitar through into my pedals and amp so i can check my tuning on the fly. I don't want a pedal tuner, because I'll be using this for my acoustic too.

My budget is up to $100, but its a tuner so it can't be that expensive...can it?

Any suggestions?
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
well cant u just buy a pedal tuner for the electric and keep the korg to use for ur acoustic? the boss pedal tuner is great btw, its pretty pricey at $100 new. but if u dont wanna spend that much, just find one used. good luck finding one
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
get a korg pitchblack, cheaper than the tu-2 and according to specs it is more precise.

also features true bypass.

damn i sound like a korg sales rep now
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
get a korg pitchblack, cheaper than the tu-2 and according to specs it is more precise.

+1
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by angl2k

Another +1
I dislike most Boss products, but the TU-2 is still the best tuner around - save for maybe that metallic Planet Waves one. Ive tried the Korg, my other guitarist tried the Ibanez - both are 'true bypass' and both broke after a few months. I've played about 100 gigs with my current Tu-2 and you could hammer in nails with it.

I love the fact people whine about how they need true bypass but half of them probably run through £10 cables, use worn-out strings and have unregulated power supplies. Not a dig at anyone personally, but remember there's a billion things that can have an effect on your tone, and a decent buffer will do just as good a job as true-bypass (sometimes even better, depending where it's placed in the signal chain).
the pitchblack is 3 times as accurate as the tu-2 (+- 1 cent vs +- 3 cent)

i didnt buy it because the pb is true bypass, i bought it because it was more accurate and is cheaper

note that the pitchblack doesnt ship with a power supply (dunno about boss tu-2)
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
the pitchblack is 3 times as accurate as the tu-2 (+- 1 cent vs +- 3 cent)

i didnt buy it because the pb is true bypass, i bought it because it was more accurate and is cheaper

note that the pitchblack doesnt ship with a power supply (dunno about boss tu-2)

interesting, where can one find verifiable evidence of the accuracy of these tuners?

I've owned a TU2 for 7-8 years.... and its been to hundreds of gigs and practices. No joke you could bang in nails with it. I have a friend who had one get wet from a flood in his basement, so he decided to bake it in the oven to dry it.... he left it in too long and the plastic on the top bubbled up, but that thing STILL works after being flooded then burned.

TU-2's are just downright indestructible... I don't think I would ever trade mine for anything, EXCEPT if there was another kind that was just as reliable AND was more accurate....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
interesting, where can one find verifiable evidence of the accuracy of these tuners?

I've owned a TU2 for 7-8 years.... and its been to hundreds of gigs and practices. No joke you could bang in nails with it. I have a friend who had one get wet from a flood in his basement, so he decided to bake it in the oven to dry it.... he left it in too long and the plastic on the top bubbled up, but that thing STILL works after being flooded then burned.

TU-2's are just downright indestructible... I don't think I would ever trade mine for anything, EXCEPT if there was another kind that was just as reliable AND was more accurate....

Tuning:
Detection accuracy: +/- 1 cent

korg specs at the korg website:
http://korg.com/gear/specs.asp?A_PROD_NO=pitchblack

Tuning Accuracy
+/-3 cent

boss specs
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=122 then click on Specs tab

i cant comment about the reliability of the pitchblack since it's only a few months old but it feels sturdy. i don't think it will break under normal usage conditions
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I heard that the human ear can only detect 3 cents. So to further explain this, if your E string was 3 cents out, then the human ear couldn't detect it, yet if it was four, it might be noticable to a trained ear. Can anyone second for that, I'd like to know if it's true.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by b00m_
I heard that the human ear can only detect 3 cents. So to further explain this, if your E string was 3 cents out, then the human ear couldn't detect it, yet if it was four, it might be noticable to a trained ear. Can anyone second for that, I'd like to know if it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_(music)#Human_perception

wikipedia is not a 100% reliable source though

i'd rather have all my strings in tune as good as possible, i can often hear when a chord is out of tune (when one string is out of tune, usually G)
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
korg specs at the korg website:
http://korg.com/gear/specs.asp?A_PROD_NO=pitchblack

boss specs
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=122 then click on Specs tab

i cant comment about the reliability of the pitchblack since it's only a few months old but it feels sturdy. i don't think it will break under normal usage conditions

very cool.... indeed it seems the Korg claims to be more accurate..... though probably not so noticeable (unless you had more than 1 person tuning with different TU-2's and they were each out just enough to cause phase issues while recording, live I think it would be nominal.....)

If my TU2 ever goes up I'll certainly check out the Korg.... ya know, the next time a nuclear device is dropped on it... cause I'd bet if the bomb did go off all that would be left are cockroaches and TU-2's.....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.