My input jack to my marshall m100hdx totally blew out or just doesnt work( sorrry im not electrician savy).

all i know is that i can by a new one and i kind of know how to solder. it would be so much cheaper to do it myself, i know where to get input jacks.

all i have to do is heat up the old bonds, remove the old jack and solder the new one to the board right?

is there anything that can happen? should i just leave it to the pros? sorry i can get pics.
If you have to ask, you shouldn't try.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
id get it done professionally, then its gaurenteed to work better than you

and ya i agree with the baffattack, u have to ask you probably shouldnt try
if its just the jack
do it yoursellf, is not really hard
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
it's risky buisness if you are wearing a shirt, tie and socks.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by All_Bodies
oh, thanks aristotle.

That's one of the more clever ways of saying a-hole that I've seen. At least, I think that's what you were doing, seemed like it from your tone.

But I'm serious. You say you "kinda" know how to solder, and I'm telling you, if you have to ask the question, you probably shouldn't risk it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
You can do it.
But make sure, not to use a large point on the solder..
smaller is mostly better.
In some cases anyway..
:S
Quote by BaffAttack
That's one of the more clever ways of saying a-hole that I've seen. At least, I think that's what you were doing, seemed like it from your tone.

But I'm serious. You say you "kinda" know how to solder, and I'm telling you, if you have to ask the question, you probably shouldn't risk it.

i know, just havin a little fun, but your comment does make sense its just i wanted some opinions before a ton of money for someone when i could possibly just do it myself. just a little re-assurance.
Quote by ugsusheyftef
You can do it.
But make sure, not to use a large point on the solder..
smaller is mostly better.
In some cases anyway..
:S

rofl.
jacks don't "totally blow out." what makes you so confident its the input jack? if the leads are attached to the jack, it should work; there is not much to break there.

i doubt its the jack unless a lead is visibly detached from its lug; that's an easy fix, but it sounds like you should take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Quote by All_Bodies
i know, just havin a little fun, but your comment does make sense its just i wanted some opinions before a ton of money for someone when i could possibly just do it myself. just a little re-assurance.

Well, it may not even be the input jack...like you said, you aren't electronics savvy. Honestly, I've never heard of a jack "blowing." Usually connections might come loose, but the jack itself is just conducting metal for the signal to pass through. Basically, what I'm driving at is that you probably have a larger problem.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might have to put a little money in to that diagnostic and fix.

That really was a clever way of saying a-hole though. My sarcastic nature salutes you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by gazaa
jacks don't "totally blow out." what makes you so confident its the input jack? if the leads are attached to the jack, it should work; there is not much to break there.

i doubt its the jack unless a lead is visibly detached from its lug; that's an easy fix, but it sounds like you should take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

i could wiggle the cable and i get some sounds. it also is pretty bent up and everything else looks pretty good but then again i dont know what im talking about.
i got in there myself and poked around at the jack and it would get sounds sometimes when it was in certain positions. ahhh i cant explain it to you.

well i guess ill just have my local music shop check it ou then like you say,to be safe, you seem to know what you are talking about. i got to start learning this stuff though.
Quote by BaffAttack
Well, it may not even be the input jack...like you said, you aren't electronics savvy. Honestly, I've never heard of a jack "blowing." Usually connections might come loose, but the jack itself is just conducting metal for the signal to pass through. Basically, what I'm driving at is that you probably have a larger problem.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might have to put a little money in to that diagnostic and fix.

That really was a clever way of saying a-hole though. My sarcastic nature salutes you.

hey thanks, and ya you worded it exactly. some of the connections in the jack came loose and it not working. well like you and that other guy said, im just bot goin to rsik it but i guess i'll take it into the shop.thanks.

i got the amp for $120 off craigslist about a year ago so i guess spending a little bit of money on i wont hurt.
Quote by All_Bodies
hey thanks, and ya you worded it exactly. some of the connections in the jack came loose and it not working. well like you and that other guy said, im just bot goin to rsik it but i guess i'll take it into the shop.thanks.

i got the amp for $120 off craigslist about a year ago so i guess spending a little bit of money on i wont hurt.

That's the spirit, see the good in the bad.

See if you can't take it to a place that'll let you watch them if it's just a solder job. That way you can get an idea of what's involved so you can try it yourself.

I mean, I solder mic cables and connectors all the time for work, but I stay the hell away from soldering circuit boards. Completely different animal. You know what I mean?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣