alright I have been playing bass for while played many gigs. with Jazz and Blues

But I never got into punk, rock, emo where its about playing the same note really Fast for four beats.
and I got the option to join and earn money off if if I'm able to do it.

Problem is I can't play nearly Fast enough my hand gives half way through playing a song.
whats the best way to build up speed quickly.
I thought maybe using pick, but have never used one properly before.

I need to play around 200bpm to 250bpm for around 40mins being able to keep a good sound.

Any tips or excises that will allow to be build up my speed in short space of time.
Last edited by jayoel at Jul 3, 2008,
Well, if I understood that correctly, what you need is a metronome. How to use it properly? I've kinda been trying to figure that out myself. I get lost very quickly - someone care to explain?
Your main problem? Stereotyping the music.

There's no quick way of increasing s[eed. It's a drudge of playing scales to a metronome and only increasing in tempo when you can play cleanly. And going back to slower tempos to reinforce basics.

Or you could also throw your stereotypes out of the window and write interesting basslines when root note bashing isn't enough.

^ with a metronome, it's a case of setting the tempo, and then playing on the beat and offbeats at equal intervals (so no syncopation- dead on the 8ths)
well i started with a pick, i found it was much easier to play really fast earlier. i could strum fast within 20-30 minutes of practice...
Using two fingers to strum very fast takes weeks of practice but once you learn it, you will be more agile when you play.
But if you need to learn quickly, then i'd say just get a pick and practice strumming up and down until you get it constant. then practice going faster and faster and playing 8, 16, 32 notes then switching strings. it worked for me =D
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Your main problem? Stereotyping the music.
Or you could also throw your stereotypes out of the window and write interesting basslines when root note bashing isn't enough.

once i can play root note bashing at required speed. then i can have interesting bass lines at the required speed.
It would be cool if you could use your jazz/blues background and write basslines like Mic Todd of Coheed and Cambria. Or maybe listen to something like Days of the Phoenix by AFI and play in a similar style where its not dead 8ths, theres some variety in it.
holding a pick is simple really.. just make the "OK" sign with your picking hand and curl in your pointer finger so that the bottom of your thumb is touching the side of your pointer finger.. then just insert a pick in there.. then you can either curl your other fingers into a fist or just leave them out..
try playing one note at a high speed with a metronome like 16th notes at 150bpm. and push it past your limits. if you can't reach it try to find the highest speed you can do it right at and then increase the speed up by 5bpm. keep pushing past that. until you get to your speed.
then once you get the slower beats down try playing different notes in sixteenths to let your fret hand quicken up
Quote by Roc8995
I ran into some fingering issues. I can get it up to speed the way I've been fingering it, but I'm wondering if you guys have any better ideas, because it seems like there should be an easier way to finger this.

Don't worry there is Roc, there is
Quote by IamBeast
try playing one note at a high speed with a metronome like 16th notes at 150bpm. and push it past your limits. if you can't reach it try to find the highest speed you can do it right at and then increase the speed up by 5bpm. keep pushing past that. until you get to your speed.
then once you get the slower beats down try playing different notes in sixteenths to let your fret hand quicken up

Does it count if you can do it at 150bpm 16th notes but you can't do it for for longer than about 2mins before you arm gives up.
I could prob do it Faster but my arm wouldnt be able to last a long,
16th note trips at 300bpm with fingers or bust!!
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
16th note trips at 300bpm with fingers or bust!!

thats insane
Quote by jayoel
thats insane

I know! why did he use 2 exclamation points!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I know! why did he use 2 exclamation points!

Why didn't you use a question mark?!?!?!?!? I lol'd.

TS, you gotta start slow. The key to speed is to play cleanly at one speed, and progress from there. I would suggest playing scales (boring I know) to a metronome, and also playing a single note to a metronome, switching every few bars. Speed it up a few BPM once you have it down slow.

I would also suggest warming up your fingers before playing, doing exercises and stretches. I really notice the difference if I warm up before playing.

And learn songs which are quick and challenge you, some Iron Maiden is good for this I think, especially Harris' gallops.
Punk, rock, emo you say...
For this kind of music use a pick.
Nearly all the bassists of the bands that play this genre use picks.
It's not only about the speed, it's about the sound. It will sound louder and a lot more bright.
I recommend using Dunlop Tortex .60mm or .75mm. A lot of people will say that these picks are too soft for bass playing, but try to play fast on 2 strings with a 2mm pick not ruining your bass neck XD (Mark of blink182 uses them, Flea uses them, Mike Dirnt uses the .75mm)

But still, don't forget to exercise your fingers!!!
----------------------------------------
My current rig:
- Fender Mark Hoppus Signature Bass
- Ashdown MAG-300C 4x10' 300W

Soon to be mine:
- Ampeg SVT7-PRO
- Ampeg SVT-410HLF