Whenever I write lyrics, they're always about love/heartbreak... And personally, I find it a little boring and cliche and all that bad jazz...

So how does one progress off of topics such as that?
write about your thoughts on society. ummm dont be a thirteen year old boy... ummm write about aspirations.
maybe think about something thats happened to you or people you meet, not like love but more obscure things that don't happen every day.

or make up stories, i love lyrics that tell a good story. it doesn't have to be about you.

My2c
Scour the Wikipedia..

Its full of interesting stuff to write about. You can even do love songs if its something interesting

E.g: I'm writing a song about a peasent who falls in love with a aristocrat in the french revolution and then get executed for being gentry.

But yeah read books, listen to people and don't write about your life. The world has to many songs about teenagers growing up
I just like to go through old English books and find writing exercises that seem intriguing and write songs about that.

I forget the name of the exercise, but it's a pretty famous one wherein you have to describe an object from the point of view of a father who's just lost his son to a horrible death, and the catch is that you can't use any words to describe his emotions or what's troubling him. It's hard enough to do in story format, but I think part of songwriting is being able to express what you want to express without having to say it. So, I like those kinds of things.
Classifieds mod said this didn't count as trying to sell anything, I'll say it here:

If you're looking to be able to take credit cards in-person (not over the internet where paypal will work), pm me and I can hook you up with the stuff you need.
Live with a notebook in your pocket and write down things of interest until something just inspires you, then write down all of your thoughts about it in a piece.
Read all you can, of everything, poetry and prose, to gain knowledge on writing techniques.
Write all you can to put them in to practice. Even when you have nothing to write about, just write, all the time.

So many threads are like this one, and the advice is always the same.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
DigUpHerBones is right. As far as reading about poetry and prose, this is a good place to do that. Look at peoples comments about what they think of songs, and where there are usually problems. I got much better at identifying the aspects of poetry and song by reading other peoples stuff.
Personally, part of the appeal to writing a love song is that it's a proven (and easy to understand) recipe. If you expand on your skills, you'll be able to write more complicated works.
^ It's also good to do it in places as well as on here though. The tone here is very different from other places and it's useful to read elsewhere because of that as well as that it's just great to read everything
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by DigUpHerBones
^ It's also good to do it in places as well as on here though. The tone here is very different from other places and it's useful to read elsewhere because of that as well as that it's just great to read everything

And if there's somewhere that you're interested in looking, it's probably your favorite bands. Just look at their methods and their style of APPROACHING a subject. Anything can be written about, as long as you know how to approach it.