Ok, so I plan to get a Bugera 333XL for some light gigging and practice with drums, and I know that 120W is MAJOR overkill for bedroom practice, but will it be quiet enough if I don't crank it? I know that cranking tube amps makes it sound better but with the wattage on that puppy I can't do that. Oh, and I'm kinda set on the Bugera, it seems to me that it's the best tone and versatility for the money.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Sure.
I have to keep my Twin at 2 and under for bedroom practice. At band practice/shows it goes up.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Sure.
I have to keep my Twin at 2 and under for bedroom practice. At band practice/shows it goes up.
Thanks. Also, since I am a tube n00b, does cranking a tube amp really make a huge difference in sound?
-Bugera 333XL 212
It distorts it, gives it natural od. But with 120 watts of tube power, your not cranking it to get ocerdrive without an antenuater. You'll just get very loud.

My twin doesn't start breaking up for a looong time. It shakes things before it breaks up.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
It distorts it, gives it natural od. But with 120 watts of tube power, your not cranking it to get ocerdrive without an antenuater. You'll just get very loud.

My twin doesn't start breaking up for a looong time. It shakes things before it breaks up.
What's an antenuater? I hear that a lot but I haven't thought to look it up. I assume it limits the volume?
-Bugera 333XL 212
I'm very interested in this thread too. free...bump
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
Quote by Moose45
I'm very interested in this thread too. free...bump
That's the spirit!
-Bugera 333XL 212
Yeah, it basically pushes the tubes...I think.

Also, if anyone knows what some good ones are, it'd be much appreciated.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
The reason high gain amps like this one you are getting have uber wattages is because you dont really want power amp distortion for metal, shred, etc.

Massive preamp gain + clean power amp = crunchy distortion.
Massive preamp gain + distorted power amp = gooey fuzz.

Basically, if you get your amp around 3 for shows, you should be fine.

[EDIT] I'm not sure an attenuator would really get you a desirable sound because of the reason above. Try your amp out at practice with your drummer and the whole mix. If your amp on one is too loud, then get an attenuator. I dont think thats likely though...
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I'm not completely sure myself to be honest, heres a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuator_%28electronics%29

So it decreases your signal so you cna turn it louder to distort.
My future amp will have plenty of gain so I don't think I'll really need it. Thanks a lot for the help.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by FLNagle
The reason high gain amps like this one you are getting have uber wattages is because you dont really want power amp distortion for metal, shred, etc.

Massive preamp gain + clean power amp = crunchy distortion.
Massive preamp gain + distorted power amp = gooey fuzz.

Basically, if you get your amp around 3 for shows, you should be fine.

[EDIT] I'm not sure an attenuator would really get you a desirable sound because of the reason above. Try your amp out at practice with your drummer and the whole mix. If your amp on one is too loud, then get an attenuator. I dont think thats likely though...
Oh! That makes so much sense! Thanks a lot, I was worried that I couldn't get a good sound out of my amp unless I cranked it.
-Bugera 333XL 212
I just bought the bugera 333XL today, and it sounds just fine at bedroom volumes.

To tell you the truth im actually pretty impressed with the quality at low sounds.