what does it mean when a pickup is "reverse wound"? i've heard this term a lot, usually on the topic of pup configurations...
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
the middle pick-up of a S/S/S Strat is reverse wound so that when the 2nd and 4th position is put it will cancel out the hum that the pick-ups create by themselves
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
you mean reverse polarity?

It's so that you get hum cancelling in position 2+4 with single coils
I think reverse polarity is the middle one having reversed magnets though...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
you mean reverse polarity?

It's so that you get hum cancelling in position 2+4 with single coils
I think reverse polarity is the middle one having reversed magnets though...

something like that, the pick up is normal but because its reverse wound it creates the same magnetic field that humbuckers create
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
oh forsaknazreal its YOU
what is the difference between reverse polarity and reverse wound? and what does out of phase mean?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag

Reverse polarity is a flipped magnet, and Reverse wound is essentially flipped coil windings.

I don't know what "out of phase" actually means, in technical terms in regards to pickups (Must make sure I do find out, though...) but it happens when two pickups (or even the two coils of a humbucker) either have magnets of reverse polarity but windings are the same direction, or the magnets are of the same polarity and windings are opposite.
Essentially, what's happening is that some frequencies are canceled out. The closer the coils/pickups, the more are canceled out (this is why when a humbuckers coils are put out of phase, the output is much weaker).
This results in a honky or nasally kind of tone that's also a bit harsh. It's kind of cool.