Ok, I've got a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 and lately I've been unsatisfied with the amount of gain out of it. I've got the gain cranked to 8 or 9 and mostly using the lead boost to get more, but it's just not enough. It's pretty confusing considering the reputation of the JCM series.

Guitar-wise I use a variety of guitars. I would understand if it was just my Strat but my Agile AL2000 and Ovation Storm should both be able to get more than enough gain and don't.
What the hell?
They have a lot of gain....
is your master volume at 1 or something?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
What kind of gain levels are you talking about here? If you play deathcore I can understand if you feel there's not quite enough gain, but for most anything else it'd appear that there's a problem. Bad preamp tube, maybe?
New pickups?

Overdrive pedal?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Bad Monkey pedal - 50$

They can give you a pretty decent amount of gain.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
I don't really play metal at all. Mostly hard rock type stuff. Somewhere around QOTSA (sftd era), Shinedown, Velvet Revolver usually. Lately I've been leaning towards Sabbath/Kyuss, maybe a little Powerman 5000.

The volume on the amp is around 3 for band practices, louder when played live. Lately i've just been using a boss ds1 i had around and cranking the distortion on that to get the sound I want for rhythm.
Try a EHX Big Muff Pi it will add so much gain to your rig and really give you a QOTSA/Kyuss/Sabbath sound or if that aint extreme enough try the Metal Muff
ridiculous! the JCM2000 has a lot of gain.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Maybe bad tubes as said before. Test your cables, guitars' electronics, stompboxes (if you have any), etc...
Quote by jd62ri
I don't really play metal at all. Mostly hard rock type stuff. Somewhere around QOTSA (sftd era), Shinedown, Velvet Revolver usually. Lately I've been leaning towards Sabbath/Kyuss, maybe a little Powerman 5000.

The volume on the amp is around 3 for band practices, louder when played live. Lately i've just been using a boss ds1 i had around and cranking the distortion on that to get the sound I want for rhythm.

You should try an overdrive pedal instead of a crappy distortion pedal like the DS-1. Those things are awful.
Unfortunately right now I'm at a point where I can't exactly buy too much. I already have a muff and I like it, but I want a tighter distortion. I'm going to mess with the amp a little bit tomorrow since I have time, maybe I can figure it out. How would I know if the tubes are bad?

If I were to go with an OD pedal, any recommendations?
Quote by jd62ri
Unfortunately right now I'm at a point where I can't exactly buy too much. I already have a muff and I like it, but I want a tighter distortion. I'm going to mess with the amp a little bit tomorrow since I have time, maybe I can figure it out. How would I know if the tubes are bad?

Maxon tubescreamer.

I know what you mean with the gain.

I had a DSL100 for a while and even though it had gain, it just wasn't right.

It was like having a lot of gain, but you couldn't hear it all.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
there has to be something wrong with yer signal chain... its should put out lots of gain!
as said by EuroGuitarist, test yer cables and stuff... swap calbes, etc etc...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

You may want to switch around your pre-amp tubes (no re-bias needed) to help determine if a bad pre-amp tube. If you switch tubes and all of a sudden your green channel sucks, you have a bad tube. As others have said (and as a DSL owner) I concur...there is actually too much gain (for my style of music - classic rock) and rarely use anything but the green channel - which is amazing for what I play.

If your amp is new, you may want to have it professionally serviced using warranty.

Quote by jd62ri