Hey there,
I have been trying to learn master of puppets for almost an year now.
I have got most of the riffs down other than riff that starts at 0:22 to 0:48 of the very beginning of song. Its very frustrating as i know HOW to play the part slowly but mess up horribly when trying to speed up.
I can pick fast and all that i just dont know whats wrong. Just that riff is giving me a really hard time.

What can i do?
practice it slowly with a metronome and work your way up to speed. its annoying but you'll get it if you keep practicing
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
i dont know what to tell ya........it took me about a week and i had it down
how are you fretting it whit your fingers?
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
sorry dude practice practice
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Use your metronome and slow it down so that you can play it nearly perfect. Do this for a couple of weeks and you should see some improvement.
i cant seem to play the descending part right....0,0,7,0,0,6,0,0,5,0,4,0ect...i can play it but it doesnt sound right
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
hmmm, I find that part easier to play with all down strokes. Are you trying to alt pick it?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
no i down pick the whole song :\ the thing is i can do it perfectly slowed down and i use all four fingers
like index stays on the low e and the other three are working the 2 - 3 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 2 on the string below it.

its a lotta practice i know :\
but you can get it to sound right slowly? If so, just keep practicing
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Slowly build up speed, try with a metronome. Start slow and when you feel comfortable increase by 10 bpm or so, in the end you should be able to play it fast without problems.
Practice slow. Then try going faster. Take your time
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

i couldnt do it for a few days
try to make room and practice it over and over and over....ect
i did and i woke up one morning and could play it with ease and im a noob
Well guys,
i used a harder pick
good metallic like tone
and i was able to do it upto speed. needs fixing up but check it out on my mp3's on my profile :P tell me what you think
thanks.
Quote by Hhero
Hey there,
I have been trying to learn master of puppets for almost an year now.
I have got most of the riffs down other than riff that starts at 0:22 to 0:48 of the very beginning of song. Its very frustrating as i know HOW to play the part slowly but mess up horribly when trying to speed up.
I can pick fast and all that i just dont know whats wrong. Just that riff is giving me a really hard time.

What can i do?

If it has taken this long, you're doing it wrong, I suggest seeing a teacher to correct your technique, or if you already have a teacher, see another one, they don't know anything if they've let everything you've played slide for over a YEAR.

Practicing with a metronome will help you greatly, don't try go too fast, go at about 20 BPM slower than you're comfortable with, practice that for 30 minutes, speed up by 10 BPM each time and stop when you start getting sloppy, go back down 20 BPM and practice again.
When you play it fast, what part is stuffing up? Is it your fretting hand that is missing the notes, or is your picking hand sloppy on the strings? Work out where the problem is, then do exercises to improve in that area. Also MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU ARE NOT TENSING UP!! Tensing up your picking arm to play 'that fast riff' might seem good in theory, but when you're tense your muscles get worn out quicker and you have less fine control. So make sure there is no tension when you're playing.
sig goes here
Quote by XianXiuHong
If it has taken this long, you're doing it wrong, I suggest seeing a teacher to correct your technique, or if you already have a teacher, see another one, they don't know anything if they've let everything you've played slide for over a YEAR.

Practicing with a metronome will help you greatly, don't try go too fast, go at about 20 BPM slower than you're comfortable with, practice that for 30 minutes, speed up by 10 BPM each time and stop when you start getting sloppy, go back down 20 BPM and practice again.

I have to say I don't think it's unreasonable for somebody not to be able to play MOP after a year, particularly that one riff - it's pretty difficult. It doesn't really matter how long you've been trying to learn it, if you haven't developed your all round ability enouch to be able to play it then...you're not going to be able to play it.

If you picked up the guitar cold and went straight into trying to learn Cliffs of Dover chances are you'd never get there, and if you did it'd probably take you the best part of a year to just learn that one song and you wouldn't know anything else on the guitar. I'd simply shelve MOP for a few months and learn some other things - it's only one song after all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
I have to say I don't think it's unreasonable for somebody not to be able to play MOP after a year, particularly that one riff - it's pretty difficult. It doesn't really matter how long you've been trying to learn it, if you haven't developed your all round ability enouch to be able to play it the...you're not going to be able to play it.

If you picked up the guitar cold and went straight into trying to learn Cliffs of Dover chances are you'd never get there, and if you did it'd probably take you the best part of a year to just learn that one song and you wouldn't know anything else on the guitar. I'd simply shelve MOP for a few months and learn some other things - it's only one song after all.

I agree, but if the TS has been focusing on that one bit for a year, surely they would have realized they'd have to work on faster down picking or alternate picking and have found the best way to finger the riff through videos or experimentation.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I agree, but if the TS has been focusing on that one bit for a year, surely they would have realized they'd have to work on faster down picking or alternate picking and have found the best way to finger the riff through videos or experimentation.

I dunno, I did a lot of stupid things before somebody told me they were wrong

Admittedly I didn't have the internet to help me but even so you need to know that you're doing something wrong to prompt you to look for the correct way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I dunno, I did a lot of stupid things before somebody told me they were wrong

Admittedly I didn't have the internet to help me but even so you need to know that you're doing something wrong to prompt you to look for the correct way.

I guess so, it can be hard for people to notice their mistakes especially without another person to criticize them, I don't know if TS has had a teacher or not, but I guess not because of this thread.
No i dont have a teacher, i am looking into it however.
and yeah i do tense up... this is probably bad.. will try without.
If you hear my one recording on my profile it'll show the tension.. u could hear it.
I can anyways.
Quote by Hhero
No i dont have a teacher, i am looking into it however.
and yeah i do tense up... this is probably bad.. will try without.
If you hear my one recording on my profile it'll show the tension.. u could hear it.
I can anyways.

If you're alternate picking, you tend to relax a bit (Unless picking really fast) but with pure down-strokes for rhythm playing, I find I get a more aggressive sound by tensing up a bit, but the thing is, I've done that for so long I can chug away while tense for pretty much as long as I want now, so that's something you MIGHT consider looking into, it's really good for building stamina for really fast rhythm playing where even alternate picking will make your arm fall off