The title says it all, I'm looking for an amp, perferably tube. my budget is about $800

I am looking for an amp that has
lots of gain, think Metallica, GN'R, Iron Maiden
Can handle classic rock
Decent clean channel
Around 30 watts tube or 75-100 ss (so please don't suggest 5150s or rectos)

I would go with tube but I don't think there are any that suit my style and budget and that comes in 30 watts. So I am wondering if it would be better to go with a high end solid state amp instead of buying a low end tube amp and putting a pedal in front of it. I have a Korg ax3000g multi fx, I'd like to use it but if I can't, oh well

ALSO I DO NOT want to buy used!! The shipping sometimes cost more than the amp itself and I want to be able to test it first. So please, no used 5150s or mark IVs!!!

I may be giging in the future but for now I just need to be heard over the drums, a PA take care of the gigs.

Some amps I've been looking at are:

Tube
Traynor yvc40
Mesa express 5:25 or 5:50 (little expensive)
Peavey classic 30 + tube screamer or similar?
Crate v series v33
Peavey Valveking

Solid State
Randall or Peavey... hell I don't know

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for writing a book up there
I'm pretty sure 5150's are tube amps, and MarkIV's and Recto's both are.. and they're a lot more than 800 for the head and cab. Still I would suggest a "low end" tube amp. 30 Watts is plenty. I wish my Dual Rectifier was only 50 watts instead of 100. From the ones you listed, I would go with either of the Mesa's, or the Peavey's... I've never been into Crate's. Thats just my opinion.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
^ Thanks for the reply, I know the 5150, the Mark IV and rectos are tube, they're just too expensive and loud for me
wattage is more than just how loud your amp can go. if you want lots of gain, and a lot of lowend, you're going to need a higher wattage amp with a larger transformer that gives those hi-gainer's such aggressiveness.

i've never seen shipping that costs anywhere near the price of an amp. a mesa f-50 would be perfect for what your looking for.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I'd go with the Traynor, gorgeous sounding amps at bargain prices, one of the best you'l get at the price without going used
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
^ how much gain is on the ycv40? I have not tried one out yet, my guitar teacher uses a traynor that looks similar but I'm not sure it's the same one. Does it take pedals well?
Quote by mxh
^ how much gain is on the ycv40? I have not tried one out yet, my guitar teacher uses a traynor that looks similar but I'm not sure it's the same one. Does it take pedals well?

It should have enough gain for what you want to play and it's more modern voiced than the YCV 50 Blue so it should suit you. It takes pedals fine, all tube amps do really
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
^It's more American than the YCV50, I wouldn't necessarily say "modern". For the bands he plays, the YCV50 is a better choice.

Traynor YCV50 Blue and maybe an OD pedal. You can find the YCV50 for 650 brand new on eBay.

Both have enough gain for what you play.

EDIT: I wouldn't say an 800 dollar tube amp is low end, nor what I say an 800 dollar solid state is high end.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
wattage is more than just how loud your amp can go. if you want lots of gain, and a lot of lowend, you're going to need a higher wattage amp with a larger transformer that gives those hi-gainer's such aggressiveness.

+1000
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if you use PA in gig maybe you should get an AMT pedal..like the fatal tube....supposed to be graeat and is only a fraction of the cost of a real amp..
Last edited by ambush_xx at Jul 4, 2008,
Look into the B-52 AT series. Great amps, I would know I own one
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
I've heard B52s have reliability issues and I don't think they are sold anywhere near me. Also, what the difference between voicings (american, british, modern)
Ok I've pretty much narrowed it down to the two traynors, the ycv50 blue and the ycv40. What's the difference between the two and IF I decide to get the ycv40, should I get the 1x12 or the 2x10?
go for da traynor.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mxh
Ok I've pretty much narrowed it down to the two traynors, the ycv50 blue and the ycv40. What's the difference between the two and IF I decide to get the ycv40, should I get the 1x12 or the 2x10?

The YCV50, as I covered, sounds British. Sounds like a Marshall. Great OD.

The YCV40, sounds more like a Fender with more gain and better OD - hence, it's more modern. It's got better cleans than the 50. But that's doesn't mean the 50's cleans are bad.

About speaker options, if you're going to get the 1x12", get the YCV40WR, it has a better 12" speaker than the YCV40.
The YCV40T, the 2x10" model, has 10" speaker, which are not by any means quieter than a 12" speaker. But they do have more midrange and punch.
Quote by mxh
^ Thanks for the reply, I know the 5150, the Mark IV and rectos are tube, they're just too expensive and loud for me

the traynor ycv50 costs about a $1000 new after taxes.. used 5150 combos can clock in under $600 used.

and the traynor will probably be just as loud..

Yes they are 2 completely different as far as amps go. but just thought i'd point that your reasons for NOT buying them aren't exactly solid.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i still don't get why you can't buy off of craigslist?
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
i'd suggest a fender hot rod deluxe with a sansamp gt2 pedal. one of the most amazing sounds i've ever had.
a friend of mine sold his mesa single rectifier and triple rectifier to get the easier sound this offers. the fender has a punch thats not quite as detailed or loud as the mesa but it cuts thru the mix perfectly.
if i had the cash i'd get a framus dragon head and cab but yeah, not my budget.
the beauty of my setup is that my strat sings thru it with singles and humbuckers. rails sound great too. and whatever guitar you put thru it, it has heavy balls.
metal, rock, blues, jazz, funk... anything. the less you mess up your effects chain the better. maybe put a compressor, delay, chorus and a wah in there and it'll be perfect for most sounds.

i have no idea how much this costs in the states but hope it helps anyway
what about a Bugera 6262/6260
their meant to be rip offs of the 6505+/6505, only with better cleans
Only problem is their both 100w tube so maybe you need an attenuator
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by Kivarenn82
the traynor ycv50 costs about a $1000 new after taxes.. used 5150 combos can clock in under $600 used.

and the traynor will probably be just as loud..

Yes they are 2 completely different as far as amps go. but just thought i'd point that your reasons for NOT buying them aren't exactly solid.

A 1000? Where are you getting it from??
I got my YCV40 for 425 used.

They only cost about 850 brand new - you order that online from MF, no taxes or shipping.

On eBay, they're 650 brand new, + shipping.

The 5150 is NOT the amp I would choose for Guns and Roses or classic rock. Even Maiden is pushing it.
Quote by forsaknazrael

The 5150 is NOT the amp I would choose for Guns and Roses or classic rock. Even Maiden is pushing it.

THANK YOU. I've been reading this thread and looking for someone with some sense. Seriously guys, stop saying 5150, it's huge, heavy, too loud, and too gainy for TS's needs. I say the Classic 30 would have been a great choice, but I don't know much about Traynors.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^ I was thinking classic 30 too. I play one at school with an american strat and I can't really get much gain out of it and it sounds very bluesy I'm not sure a pedal will make it sound like metal. I'm not sure how big a difference the single coils on the strat makes though as I will be using a guitar with humbuckers, maybe even EMGs. When I'm playing with drums, the classic 30 is only at 4 ish so I'm not sure I want a 50 watt monster.
^Yes I've heard that before but even 30 watts is pushing it a bit because I want to crank it. I hear the tone is better on a tube amp if the volume is high.
At the same time, something like 15 or 20 watts doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. Headroom refers to the maximum amount of volume before you cleans start distorting.

That's largely what wattage tells you - not volume. A 5 watt tube amp with the same speaker configuration as a 50 watt amp will only be half as loud. Getting the picture?
Quote by forsaknazrael
A 1000? Where are you getting it from??
I got my YCV40 for 425 used.

They only cost about 850 brand new - you order that online from MF, no taxes or shipping.

On eBay, they're 650 brand new, + shipping.

hm. perhaps it was a different model, but in the long and mcquade in victoria, they're about $850..

taxes bumps that to $977

EDIT:

Oops, i think i was thinking of the ycv 80 rather than the 40blue.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Jul 5, 2008,
Look for a used Carvin V3, should be able to handle everything you want. Yeah I know you dont want used but it would be worth it and shipping should be max 50$
Thanks for your help everyone!! I went a got myself a Traynor YCV50 Blue this morning!!It was about $800 but it exceeded my expectations in everyway. I love it!
Last edited by mxh at Jul 5, 2008,
Mashall Jcm2000 TSL100

I know it's 100 watts, but is has a VPR switch wich cuts it down to 25 watts and turns it into a practice amp, i love them, would never buy one cause im a fender boy, but still, great amps, have fun
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by mxh
Thanks for your help everyone!! I went a got myself a Traynor YCV50 Blue this morning!!It was about $800 but it exceeded my expectations in everyway. I love it!

Nice! It's worth it, man. These Traynors are gems.

Join the Traynor Syndicate group!
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/traynor/
You can check out some of the Traynor pr0n we have there, as well as popular settings.
Mesa F series. Blows the express series out of the water and can be purchased for great prices.

You definitely will not lose money buying one. A used F series + $100 shipping is still cheaper than a new Express, which doesn't sound nearly as nice.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio