Hi, I have gotten a nice guitar now (sz320 ftw!), but my amp is sooooo ****ty its truly funny. I play solos acoustically and it sounds good, then I plug it into the amp It's like something is dying.

I have about 200 bucks. So, I was wondering, should I just go ahead an buy a small, cheap tube amp for practicing like the valve junior? Should I save up some and buy a nicer small tube amp, such as a blackheart little giant? Or should I save up and get a good solid state amp like an ad30vt? I play classic rock, grunge, and some metal (Pretty much just metallica stuff).

Btw, does your amp make a difference on how easy it is to get pinch harmonics?
Pulling a pinch harmonic out of this amp is like sandpapering a lions ass.

Thanks
keep saving. it'll be worth it to not cave in so soon

and yes, different amps handle pinch harmonics differently. i noticed my cheaper solid state amps are easier to get pinches from, but they sound thinner and just kinda piercing. through nicer amps, they may be harder to get, but once you get them they feel powerful and awesome.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
+1 on saving up as you won't be kicking yourself down the road. Pups have a lot to do with pick harmonics as well, the hotter the pup the easier it is.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
save even more. the blackheart is very similar to the valve junior.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Well it's not like a have a large income source.. "Save" means work your ass of in the heat for 2 hours for 5 bucks. Lol I'm 14 and I live in the country so I'm expected to do yard work without asking to be paid.. asked my parents if I could get a job, but they wont drive me... Man I can't wait till I can drive... Damn you with your mesa amp in your sig =D. I guess I'll continue practicing acoustically. It does kinda suck though because I've gotten really good for the amount of time I've been playing, and I'm sittin there wailin away rocking my head and **** acoustically looking like a dumb ass with the guitar goin "Tink" "Tink".

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by mason7373 at Jul 4, 2008,
yeah, i know saving ain't easy. it took me about a year to save up half of my amp, and i was fortunate enough to be able to split the cost 50/50.

i guess i take it back. if you're not gigging or jamming with a drummer or any other loud scenario, a decent practice amp could help you tons. i'd get something more versatile along the lines of the valvetronix and the like. a vj or blackheart could only take you so far if you're still newer to guitar.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

There's a digital modeling amp coming out later this summer (hopefully) - The Peavey Vypyr series. There's a 30 watt version with a 12" speaker for $200. It has 12 models (about half are high-gain) and a bunch of built in effects and stuff. It would be plenty loud for jamming and small gigs, yet would be quiet enough for bedroom practice (headphone out as well). It might be a little more complex then what you're used too, but with a little patience I'm sure you could find lots of great sounds for RAWK. I'm planning on getting one myself.
I have a Valvetronix AD15 - It's a nice amp for my needs, but the high-gain sounds are a little iffy. I wouldn't recommend it for metal unless you're going to use a pedal for distortion.
Digital might work well for you because 1. Good for practice; 2. Cheap; 3. Sound awesome and are highly tweekable. The vypyr is listed at peavey.com and at sweetwater.com.
i have a line 6 30w and its great for metal and pinch harmonics come out easy on the insane setting.

you should try it out
ove always loved line 6

yea i said it
I would definitely save up a little bit more. It's better to save and get what you really want, then to rush into getting gear now that you wont be happy with.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by mason7373
Well it's not like a have a large income source.. "Save" means work your ass of in the heat for 2 hours for 5 bucks. Lol I'm 14 and I live in the country so I'm expected to do yard work without asking to be paid.. asked my parents if I could get a job, but they wont drive me... Man I can't wait till I can drive... Damn you with your mesa amp in your sig =D. I guess I'll continue practicing acoustically. It does kinda suck though because I've gotten really good for the amount of time I've been playing, and I'm sittin there wailin away rocking my head and **** acoustically looking like a dumb ass with the guitar goin "Tink" "Tink".

Thanks for your help.

I know where you're at, man. I'm also 14 and basically living in the sticks (wanted to say styx) of California. Just keep saving. That's what I do.
This is how it is: would you rather have a couple of nice pieces of gear, or would you like to have a pile of sh*t?
I like to play without the amp too . I still have a little line 6 beginner amp (the marshall visits me in my dreams) so I just have to keep working for tips bagging at the supermarket.
Good luck!