Basically thats me.

I have been on a search, a ****ing journey, on finding a new amp. I swear I am getting so sick of it but I must have a new amp. I've gone through all the alternatives and I think I might of found it but I NEED your help.

I'm down to the Epi Valve Jr. and the Blackheart Little Giant. Now heres where I can't make up my mind. They are both in my price range but I know (think) I would have to get a pedal. Now distortion is a must and the only pedal I have is a Ibanez PD7 bass distortion pedal. Its for bass but I am on a budget and if you think that will be sutable for these amps then I might have to go with it. Also I know the Epi has no EQ and the Blackheart is rather limited. This pedal has a clean section on it with a high and low EQ on it. I doubt it will cut it, atleast on the Epi. Theres the MXR EQ pedal but I am unfamiliar with it and don't even know if it would work AND its like $120 for the 10 band EQ one.

I'll leave it at that for now because thats already quite a lot already. I play a Schecter Classic so I'm not worried about that at all. Please help me with this, I really do need your advise here.

Edit:
So after thinking about it, to get either of these amps and a distortion pedal I could just buy a Peavey Valveking 112. I heard these things are great for metal and I wouldn't even need a pedal. This thing has lots of watts and seems like it would last me a long time. What do you think of it? and how does it handle a clean setting?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Jul 4, 2008,
hey man.. i know what it's like to be on a budget.. i too want a new amp but i'm broke... It sounds like you have the same wants as i do... a tube amp that is gonna be good.. lol... the thing i found in my journey is that you have to spend a lot to get loud.. I looked at the epi valve jr. and even when it is cranked, it's not loud enough for anything other than bedroom practice.. i don't know if you play in a band at all, but in my case, i need more power, and i found the Orange Tiny Terror head for about 500 bucks.. i know it's alot and i've got to save up, but it'll last me.. which i think might be a problem if you get the epi valve jr. it might last you a long time, but probably less than a year if you plan on starting a band...
price range? and yes you'll need a distortion pedal of some kind.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
get the metal muff pedal or the mini one. idk bout amps but the valve jr is pretty limited and may not be the best suited for metal. good cleans though but not great.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Randall RG50TC.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Randall RG50TC.

Out of my price range I'm afraid. At most I can spend is $400 for sure.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Don't forget about getting used stuff. Buying lots of used gear saves a ton of money, I'm now learning that after saving $1000 on my new amp.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
The VK would be an ok choice but you could also go for a used B-52 AT112 combo.

Also, I was flipping through Guitar Worlds 2009 Buyer's Guide, and I know for certain blackheart is coming out with a new amp around the same price as the Little Giant, and I also think(but I'm not sure) they are adding more EQ controls to the next Little Giant.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Valve Junior! My V3 Combo is an amazing amp for the money and coupled with a Multi-Effects Pedal (or single stomp boxes if you have the $$$$) is a whole night of great fun to be had. Trust me - you'd love this amp.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
Out of my price range I'm afraid. At most I can spend is $400 for sure.

Buy used then.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea man go for the used randall. OR get an amp that takes pedals really well. You'll need an amp w/ a really clear and round clean channel, such as a fender. Suprisingly, a fender combo with a bass-heavy distortion pedal run through the front end can sound BRUTAL if you know how to EQ it correctly.

My first bigger amp was a Fender Frontman 212. It was 100 watts and cost me 275 bucks new. I ran a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion pedal through it and it sounded better than most "Metal" amps. Seriously, it sounds crazy, but its true.
Originally Posted by twistudriffer
I'll trade you your derrick clapton and jimmy hendrick signed squire for my bass signed by jesus and spiderman. its a fair trade really
or how bout go for a new crate V30 bettor than the VK IMO.

do yourself and try out amps before you buy them.
id say try out the Peavey valveking and the Crate V30.
those amps are in your price range, and if the valveking is good for metal as alot of people say, then the Crate is just the best damn metal amp youll own.
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jul 4, 2008,