I've been playing guitar for about a year now. I owned my first guitar, which was an acoustic, for about 6 months now. I am not very good, as I play more casually than to become a pro. But now I want to bring my skills a little higher. I've been thinking of buying an electric guitar.

I've done a lot of research in the past few days and I narrowed down my list of wanted electric guitars to 5. I chose them because they fit my price range of about $500-$1000, I've heard reviews that they sound good, they are reliable, and of course, they look very nice to me. Here are my five I have chosen:

Epiphone G-400 SG

Fender Standard Stratocaster

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top

Paul Reed Smith SE Single Cut

Schecter C-1 Classic

So yeah, I'm looking to buy a good guitar that's in my budget of $500-1000. I need a guitar that's reliable, that's something that a rookie like me will want to play everyday. I'm looking for a guitar that suits my style - I like to play punk and rock songs, like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and some easy stuff like blink-182.

I don't own an amp, and I have no experience with any, so if you could suggest a decent amp to go with it, I would appreciate!

So if you guys could just give your opinion and share you experience with the above guitars, I would be very happy. If you have any other guitars that you feel would be best for a guy like me, please do so, as well. Thank you very much in advance!
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Amp = Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Guitar = Fender HSS

Is my suggestion for a solid beginner setup...

The excess money can be used on things like tuners, strings, cables, effects, etc... Or you can set it aside for when you inevitably start GASing for something new...

EDIT: Also, all those guitars you listed are solid, but they do feel quite different from one another, so the most helpful in your hunt for a new guitar is going to be you going to a guitar shop and trying all of those out. You may find one that really clicks. I just suggested the HSS Strat because it's kind of a fail safe all around guitar...
Last edited by T!AN at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by T!AN
Amp = Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Guitar = Fender HSS

Is my suggestion for a solid beginner setup...

The excess money can be used on things like tuners, strings, cables, effects, etc... Or you can set it aside for when you inevitably start GASing for something new...

Hmm... sounds cool. What's the difference between a Fender Standard HSS with just a Fender Standard?
The HSS comes has a single coil, single coil, humbucker setup. The standard is sometimes referred to as a SSS because it has three single coil pickups.

Humbuckers tend to have more output and their own unique tone from single coils.
Quote by sixwingmortal
Hmm... sounds cool. What's the difference between a Fender Standard HSS with just a Fender Standard?

It has a humbucker in the brigde in stead of a single coil.

Edit: building on the guy above me, humbuckers are more useful for distortion and effects, as they eliminate most/ all of the hum the singles might produce when using effects
I would suggest go with the Fender Standard Strat and the Vox AD30VT (nice one T!AN), as this will cover all possible tones you are looking for. And if at some point you would look for a higher output, the bridge pickup could be swapped for a hotrails.

A highly versatile guitar, and a highly versatile amp. Both are well built and fashionable.

Gotta go with T!AN guitar suggestion. The strat with the HSS will give you a bit of versatility with sounds without breaking your pocketbook so you can get a decent amp as well.

(Edit) Also have to say something else which I will probably get flamed for but oh well. A strat with single coils is going to demand a higher level of technique from a player. An ok player can hide flaws in playing with humbucker pups because of the added sustain and saturation - you can't get away from noticable bad technique using single coils.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by shredder.cheese
Gotta go with T!AN guitar suggestion. The strat with the HSS will give you a bit of versatility with sounds without breaking your pocketbook so you can get a decent amp as well.

(Edit) Also have to say something else which I will probably get flamed for but oh well. A strat with single coils is going to demand a higher level of technique from a player. An ok player can hide flaws in playing with humbucker pups because of the added sustain and saturation - you can't get away from noticable bad technique using single coils.

Huh... well, I guess the HSS would be better for me, because I'm bound to have lots of flaws starting out.