Page 1 of 2
So after getting sick of the tone from my VOX and my BOSS MT-2 pedal, I've decided that I want a new amp.

I'm looking for a tube amp that can achieve metal tones (Behemoth, Metallica, 80's metal) and Paul Gilbert-esque tones, would any of you be able to point me in the right direction please?

I live in Australia and my budget would be around 500 dollars.
Look for a Line 6, such as a Spider III, i got mine for 500 and the FBV Express footswitch for another 50...its a beastly amp
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
Look for a Line 6, such as a Spider III, i got mine for 500 and the FBV Express footswitch for another 50...its a beastly amp

The Spider III is a tube series right? Are you sure it can achieve a tone like Paul Gilbert's? Because he used to use Laney and now he has moved onto Marshall, but I'm not really interested in getting a Marshall, because it can't really handle Behemoth stuff, but I still want that Paul Gilbert tone.
No, its a digital but there is the Spider Valve which is tube but its more expensive...and yes it can hit Paul Gilbert type stuff using one of the Metal presets without the gain booster
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
No, its a digital but there is the Spider Valve which is tube but its more expensive...and yes it can hit Paul Gilbert type stuff using one of the Metal presets without the gain booster

Oh ok, sorry but I'm not really a fan of Solid-State amps, they sound alright for a while but they end up sounding terrible after a while, I'd prefer a Tube amp because of it's natural full sound.
well its not solid state, its digital, like motherboards control everything and mine sounds very close to tube and the Spider Valve is tube
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
well its not solid state, its digital, like motherboards control everything and mine sounds very close to tube and the Spider Valve is tube

Stop trying to recommend a Line 6.

Quote by XianXiuHong
Oh ok, sorry but I'm not really a fan of Solid-State amps, they sound alright for a while but they end up sounding terrible after a while, I'd prefer a Tube amp because of it's natural full sound.

Are you saying you have $500 in your currency or in USD?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Line 6 Spider.

fixed. Line 6 makes plenty of good amps, however the spider is not one of them...

Anyways, I'm afraid I can't help you because I'm clueless as to whats available "down under", but for $500 make sure to get something tube...
Last edited by T!AN at Jul 4, 2008,
you recommended Line 6 as well and if he likes tube the he should shoot for the Spider Valve imo, thats all i'm doing, is giving my opinion and trying to inform him
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
you recommended Line 6 as well and if he likes tube the he should shoot for the Spider Valve imo, thats all i'm doing, is giving my opinion and trying to inform him

When did I do that?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Stop trying to recommend a Line 6.

Are you saying you have $500 in your currency or in USD?

Australian currency, but the Aussie dollar is nearly equal to the US dollar now so if it goes a little over 500 I'm sure I could fork out a bit more.
look under my first post
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
read my post, i'm not recommending solid state, i'm recommending digital, completely different
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
look under my first post

Quote by chase312
Line 6.

that?

Obviously that means NO because the smilie is NO inbetween two colons.. : NO :

It was saying do NOT get a Line 6.

And, to prevent from hijacking this thread,
/argument
PM Gpderek09 to join!
For $500 you can do way better than anything Line 6.

Have you looked into the Peavey Valve Kings?

Also, are you wanting a combo or a head/cab?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by BassGuitarGod
read my post, i'm not recommending solid state, i'm recommending digital, completely different

Oh, oops, but I still want a tube amp, once my ear for tone improves, I'll be able to hear the unnatural digital sound and I'll have to fork out more money for a newer amp, I'd rather a tube amp for the tone and I wouldn't have to replace it for a long time if it gets me a Paul Gilbert tone, because that tone's awesome.

Quote by chase312
For $500 you can do way better than anything Line 6.

Have you looked into the Peavey Valve Kings?

Also, are you wanting a combo or a head/cab?

Preferably a combo so it doesn't take up too much room and it's easily portable.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Jul 4, 2008,
digital is not unnatural first off...every amp i own is digital and it sounds much better than tube...second, with digital there are many more options tonally...but to each their own
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
digital is not unnatural first off...every amp i own is digital and it sounds much better than tube...second, with digital there are many more options tonally...but to each their own

It's all preference, personally, I dislike solid-state and digital amps, I'm looking for a TUBE amp, please stop trying to get me to buy a digital amp.
Quote by BassGuitarGod

Seriously?
Just stop.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Oh, oops, but I still want a tube amp, once my ear for tone improves, I'll be able to hear the unnatural digital sound and I'll have to fork out more money for a newer amp, I'd rather a tube amp for the tone and I wouldn't have to replace it for a long time if it gets me a Paul Gilbert tone, because that tone's awesome.

Preferably a combo so it doesn't take up too much room and it's easily portable.

Well, take a look at these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jul 4, 2008,
i simply made a recommendation and then got flamed for it, i'm not trying to make you buy anything, but you asked for opinions...so dont get pissed at me
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Oh, I also forgot to mention, this is for home practice, so I can't really turn anything up TOO loud otherwise I'll bother the people at home and stuff...my VOX has a knob on the back to turn the power down, is this control available on tube amps?

Or are there any small Valve Kings?
Quote by XianXiuHong
Oh, I also forgot to mention, this is for home practice, so I can't really turn anything up TOO loud otherwise I'll bother the people at home and stuff...my VOX has a knob on the back to turn the power down, is this control available on tube amps?

Or are there any small Valve Kings?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Valve-King-Royal-8-5W-1x8-Tube-Combo-Amp-481661-i1383113.gc
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312

Thank you very much for helping me, I'm REALLY sorry for being so forgetful, but I forgot to mention that I'd also like to use the same amp for performances, sorry
Quote by XianXiuHong
Thank you very much for helping me, I'm REALLY sorry for being so forgetful, but I forgot to mention that I'd also like to use the same amp for performances, sorry

Not a problem.

I'm on UG to help

By the way, BassGuitarGod, i'm sorry.

I've been having a bad day.

Well.
Xian,
Let me do a quick search and I'll edit this post with some info man.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by BassGuitarGod

For my sig. I call it.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Chase312...it happens man, just it seems like i cant post without getting flamed anymore, its frustrating...but i dont know much about tube amps, i know Mesa Boogie can rape some souls as well as your wallet though
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
Chase312...it happens man, just it seems like i cant post without getting flamed anymore, its frustrating...but i dont know much about tube amps, i know Mesa Boogie can rape some souls as well as your wallet though

Haha yeah. A Mesa will put you in the poor house for sure.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312

Thank you very much for that, I think I'll attempt to get a Peavey Valveking 112 Combo
Quote by XianXiuHong
Thank you very much for that, I think I'll attempt to get a Peavey Valveking 112 Combo

No problem at all. That dist. pedal you have can add a little extra chug to your sound if the VK doesn't have enough for you.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Checker
For my sig. I call it.

lmao...

Also, TS you're going to be wanting an overdrive pedal for your amp not a distortion pedal. Something like a tubescreamer (TS9 or TS808) or badmonkey would do nicely to tighten up the distortion on whatever amp you end up with...
Quote by BassGuitarGod

No-one gives a sh!t.

The Aussie amp market is a pain - in the US you could pick up a used Boogie for $500 if you hunted around.
At the moment your options are pretty limited, the only metal-oriented amps in the price range are Bugera and maybe B-52. You might be better to find a smallish used valve combo (like a traynor YCV sorta thing) and get an overdrive pedal with plenty of balls. It may sound a bit loose and unfocused at first but a speaker upgrade and quality valves can turn a blues rocker into a fire-breathing metal monster.
mate im sorry but your not going to get a tube amp for $500 that can do metal. the only tube amps under 500 are the budget 5 and 15 watters from epiphone and fender and the like.

your best bet would be a used peavey valveking but its going to be hard to find one under about 650.

try out a roland cube 60, its not tube but it will be about the best metal tone you can get with that budget (however IMO it is not a big enough upgrade from the vox to be worth it, i think you should save another 3-400 dollars and then look at the bugeras or a used randall rg50tc)

for eveyone else who has no idea about australian gear prices check out http://www.guitar.com.au/
Yeah, I looked around a few websites and found out they'd cost around 900 dollars.

I'm thinking, if I sold my VOX and my Fender amp for 300 bucks a piece (I should be able to con someone in my school, or even the school itself, the music equipment sucks in my school) into buying the Fender and I could advertise the VOX around for another 300 bucks, I could chip in 200 of my dollars and then bargain the Valveking down?

Do you think that'd work?
^^ well i dont think you'll get a brand new valveking for under 950 but you should be able to get a used one
Quote by BassGuitarGod

How does your Spider III sound close to a tube amp? They must have upgraded over the Spider II's, because mine didn't sound close to tube!
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Page 1 of 2