At school im taking an economics course which talks alot about supply and demand. It got me thinking about how it relates the music industry. For instance, my band and I have plans to move to europe after we finish school (seems the logical option seeing as europe is the birthplace of metal and were it flourshes most these days) and we assumed that becasue metal is so promintent it would be easier to exisist as a metal band, and be able to make that our only form of income. But if there is so many metal bands in europe whos to say we'd get a record deal as opposed to the next band? I know it should be the music that takes priority but these days thats not always so. So maybe it would be just as logical to stay in New Zealand after all?

I supose the main point of this is where is there the most demand for metal and the least supply?

Sorry for the wall of text
I read the tl;dr part at the bottom and thought you were talking about like welding metal, and that just threw off the entire musical context for me.
Quote by st.stephen
I read the tl;dr part at the bottom and thought you were talking about like welding metal, and that just threw off the entire musical context for me.

oh yeah, welding metal. thats the best kind. all you need is THE INSTRUMENT OF THE GODS.

to the TS, do you have good record companies in new zealand?
well basically, economics is a social science based on theories, so i wouldnt base you decision to move solely on the fact that your textbook says so.

but yea you do bring up a good point, i mean, you have to look at where you are now, NZ, im in Aus, and its pretty hard to get a signing, im assuming NZ would be even harder

now if you go to europe, there will be more opportunities to get signed, but are the other metal bands there better than yours?

supply and demand is a funny thing

and the music industry is one of the hardest industries to predict what happened.

but all i can say is, if you stay in NZ, you have less competition, and could become the biggest metal act in NZ, with the whole country supporting you, you would get noticed internationally, and then get signed

or you could go now to europe when you arent big, try and compete in an almost perfectly competitive market, and see how you go. word of warning though, if youre going to competer in that sort of euro market, your band has to bring something different to the table, or you will just be 'another' metal band trying to make it big in europe.

if you are just a metal band, stay in nz, less competition, and you will get somewhere,

if you think you have potential and arent just an ordinary metal act, go to europe man.

and good luck to you sir!

by the way, im doing a commerce/economics degree with honours. University of New South Wales. Represent.
Quote by Blackvelvet

That could be the single most logical, helpful response ive ever gotten from UG.
Thank you very much.

Quote by Nor'Easterbass
wow. i don't give these out much, but...an e-cookie to GruntFuttock for being an EPIC good friend and a genius beside. bravo.
China. The huge economic growth means that demand for steel and other metals has shot through the roof.
lets face it, in NZ there arent that many people. europe is a whole continent, ie a huge market. if european metal bands are better than you, then you will be forced to improve, making yourselves more competitive to record companies.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by jetfuel495
oh yeah, welding metal. thats the best kind. all you need is THE INSTRUMENT OF THE GODS.

to the TS, do you have good record companies in new zealand?

Yes and no. There are alot of divisions of the big companies (Song, BMG ect,) But very few independant labels, especially for metal.
Quote by GruntFuttock
well basically, economics is a social science based on theories, so i wouldnt base you decision to move solely on the fact that your textbook says so.

but yea you do bring up a good point, i mean, you have to look at where you are now, NZ, im in Aus, and its pretty hard to get a signing, im assuming NZ would be even harder

now if you go to europe, there will be more opportunities to get signed, but are the other metal bands there better than yours?

supply and demand is a funny thing

and the music industry is one of the hardest industries to predict what happened.

but all i can say is, if you stay in NZ, you have less competition, and could become the biggest metal act in NZ, with the whole country supporting you, you would get noticed internationally, and then get signed

or you could go now to europe when you arent big, try and compete in an almost perfectly competitive market, and see how you go. word of warning though, if youre going to competer in that sort of euro market, your band has to bring something different to the table, or you will just be 'another' metal band trying to make it big in europe.

if you are just a metal band, stay in nz, less competition, and you will get somewhere,

if you think you have potential and arent just an ordinary metal act, go to europe man.

and good luck to you sir!

by the way, im doing a commerce/economics degree with honours. University of New South Wales. Represent.

That could be the single most logical, helpful response ive ever gotten from UG.
Some good points. Though i doubt the entire country would get behind a metal band. (The local metal scence is very underground). Alot of good stuff to think on. Thank you very much.
jackolas, im in australia mate, wrong country sunshine
Quote by Blackvelvet

Thank you very much.

Quote by Nor'Easterbass
wow. i don't give these out much, but...an e-cookie to GruntFuttock for being an EPIC good friend and a genius beside. bravo.
This has nothing to do with supply and demand, supply and demand affects the prices of products...not the likelihood of being a popular band...
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
being a successful band relies on the competition of the market, it has everything to do with supply and demand.
Quote by Blackvelvet

Thank you very much.

Quote by Nor'Easterbass
Dude. Worrying about the economics of selling tickets is totally brootal.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!